• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lantern for night fishing

Still have a Tilley (has a brass base so really old), Light was less than the Chinese - Anchor (350 Candle power) then there was a 500 CP as well they all rusted. Friends had the Hippolito's. Optimus (500CP) was the bee knees as it was SS, think that was replaced by the Petromax have got that now, but moving to LED base and a head torch, Hand warmers to replace the heat from the parafin lights.
As Shirl says and wants just need the Cod to recover or avoid the Mega trawlers!
Tight lines guys!
Hi agree about the anchor lamps turning into rust.But found the old Tilleys Hippos and Petromax much better.Coleman duel fuel lamps are also very good but I found you really needed to run them on Coleman fuel to get the performance out of them.Coleman fuel does tend to be pricey in uk

Not used a Tilley lamp for longer than I care to think about, probably when the local garage did away with the paraffin pump, buy a token for each gallon :). Today LED head lamps are so good I don't think pressure lamps are worth the effort.

Not used a Tilley lamp for longer than I care to think about, probably when the local garage did away with the paraffin pump, buy a token for each gallon :). Today LED head lamps are so good I don't think pressure lamps are worth the effort.

I don't use anything other than a LED headtorch, but there are some good LED lamps and lanterns about if you need a base light. With the development of Power banks, it's easy to extend the running time too.

Hi Guys,

I do love the old night fishing, I find it more peaceful, and always seem to get better results.

My grandfather used to use an old paraffin Tilley lamp (I'm sure that's what he called it!) back in the day.
Would love to go back out at night but dont have a lantern so need to order one.

Anyone recommend a decent lantern?
Doesnt have to be a paraffin one, even a modern LED battery powered one would be OK.

What would you recommend?
Coleman North Star. Petrol, good for warming pies ect as well as light, but you can’t go wrong with Fenix head lights. In winter I use both North Star and Fenix headlamp. Hope this helps

Coleman North Star. Petrol, good for warming pies ect as well as light, but you can’t go wrong with Fenix head lights. In winter I use both North Star and Fenix headlamp. Hope this helps
I use a ledlenser head torch but I also use a Hipolito or a Coleman duel fuel.It all depends on the venue and the weather conditions.

My head-lamp is a triple lens (variable) LED Boruit RJ-5001 = very bright & 2x large 2800 mAH lith' batteries with USB recharging port - not sure what max battery life is, but no issues on longish night walks.

Ya can't beat a good lantern as well though IMO: so much nicer having a feel for surroundings without moving head. Just started looking for replacement/s for my not-that-great camping lanterns - either a 1000 lumens jobbie or 2x 500 lumens units I reckon with lith' battery power (which, on some models, can also be used as a power pack to recharge, say, mobile phone).
Seemingly, the ubiquitous old incandescent 100w bulb gave out some 1600 lumens so reckon a 1000 lumen lantern (or 2x 500) for on-the-beach or camp-pitch illumination should be quite decent.
Modern LED tech' is so good that I'm finding hard to understand why folk are sticking with their old, often fiddly and/or smelly lanterns, BUT if they work for you I'm not about to criticise.

Still comparing new LED lith' powered lanterns, so watching for any recommends.

Last edited:
Ironically tonight (bassing) I mostly used my £18 for two ‘Le’ headlamp and still felt the blue light was too bright.
The red is okay but the tip tape on the rods I used tonight needs replacing as it’s pretty worn, so red doesn’t pick it out so well.
(it’s some cheap Chinese thing from Amazon - there seems to be several on there under different brands that are basically the same lamp).

Still had my decent lamp with me and swapped to that at the end so I could get back through a gully.

None of which helps with the base lamp question, but meh 🤪🤪🤪

I use a ledlenser head torch but I also use a Hipolito or a Coleman duel fuel.It all depends on the venue and the weather conditions.
LED Lenser ! I'm house & doggie minding right now: needed a torch & found a jumble of 3 headlamps - all "LED Lenser" brand ! Very impressed with the one I stuck on my head which gave a really nice well defined wide-angle circular beam which was quite-bright-enough. Hard to make out model number, but think it's a H7R.2 - I'd be happy to own one.

My LED Boruit (mentioned previously) is great, but I think the above mentioned LED Lenser might be better when setting-up or when settled-in at one's fishing spot or camping pitch. Of the two (accepting that tech' and model spec's probably moved on), the Boruit would be the one I'd probably choose for when on the move (along a track say), BUT once "arrived" the LED Lenser would be the one I'd wear. (I'm checking LED Lenser prices !)

Last edited:
Not one I take fishing but I do have a Draper rechargeable led "wind up" head torch I keep in the car for emergencies.
I found my old Samalite HL100F & MFA, head lamps, with the heavy belt mounted batteries, no surprise both are done for,
So bought a Led-lenser iH5R, 35 hours of light from 1 AA size rechargeable

Not one I take fishing but I do have a Draper rechargeable led "wind up" head torch I keep in the car for emergencies.
I found my old Samalite HL100F & MFA, head lamps, with the heavy belt mounted batteries, no surprise both are done for,
So bought a Led-lenser iH5R, 35 hours of light from 1 AA size rechargeable
Yep the modern tech is so superior it’s a no brainer for me.
Even the cheap LED headlights knock spots off the old heavy batteries etc.
Maybe not in light output but for ease of use etc, totally.
I wouldn’t rely on a cheapy in an awkward spot, but for sheer ease of use they’re not bad.

Still using a petzl ultra about ten years old and still going strong but with new battery and head strap.

,,, So bought a Led-lenser iH5R, 35 hours of light from 1 AA size rechargeable
Seemingly the 35 hrs are at just 20 lumens - enough to just about read one's watch maybe !! ;) (Of course I know it has other brightness settings)

Petromax in actionIMG_20240930_212213_HDR.jpg

Or was it £90.......

Personally I don’t in the slightest tiny bit miss mucking about with meths and paraffin, replacing mantles on a regular basis as well as the odd glass globe.

It was annoying enough when it was the only option I had available but wouldn’t volunteer to return to pressure lamps in a month of Sundays.
Maybe the Coleman might get a camping outing some distant day, maybe.

Each to their own though!

I don't miss the weight of the tilley and the waiting for it to cool before you put it in the car. Starting with a gas blow torch took all the faff out of things but with modern led lamps being tiny my tilley is rotting in the shed these days.

These are brilliant ...

https://www.fenixlight.co.uk/product/fenix-cl26r--/-multi-beam-1637

I have the earlier 3 x AA version which has been a really reliable base camp light (I use a headlamp as well).

I have got a plastic bottle of Meths in the garage about a third full, it come from my fathers garage and he passed away in 1991, used it for Tillies he had.

I bet it's aged well ;) ;)
Vintage I reckon :unsure:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back