• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lantern for night fishing

Not been used for at least 15 yrs
But I bet it will still work if the paraffin has not evaporated
Can you still buy parrafinšŸ¤”

Not been used for at least 15 yrs
But I bet it will still work if the paraffin has not evaporated
Can you still buy parrafinšŸ¤”
Yes, it's around Ā£10 for 4Lts šŸ¤¬

I have got a plastic bottle of Meths in the garage about a third full, it come from my fathers garage and he passed away in 1991, used it for Tillies he had.

I bet it's aged well ;) ;)

Personally I donā€™t in the slightest tiny bit miss mucking about with meths and paraffin, replacing mantles on a regular basis as well as the odd glass globe.

It was annoying enough when it was the only option I had available but wouldnā€™t volunteer to return to pressure lamps in a month of Sundays.
Maybe the Coleman might get a camping outing some distant day, maybe.

Each to their own though!

I think if the cod return, I'll dig out the petromax. Nothing better than the hiss of a lantern, that warm glowing light spreading out, illuminating your haul of codšŸ˜€
Happy days.

like the idea of fishing with Tilley lamp and quite nostalgic and useful depending on venue and distance to carry with other stuff would have to be a Coleman for me and if bored or cold could perform the cod dance and associated chanting to ensure left in peace by fellow danglers.

'If the cod return'
What a dream would 'The Hard Core Crew'
Reunite as well

I think the brightess light I had was the hippolito but rusted like hell
THCC were before my time, they had just about disappeared when I joined the dark side, plus I was generally a lone wolf but welcomed anyone who wanted to join in the madness šŸ˜œ
Pretty certain that the hippolito was a cheap copy of the petromax.

A slight variation on traditional cod dance performed round Tilley lamp which can bring forth fish, sometimesā€¦

THCC were before my time, they had just about disappeared when I joined the dark side, plus I was generally a lone wolf but welcomed anyone who wanted to join in the madness šŸ˜œ
Pretty certain that the hippolito was a cheap copy of the petromax.
I own a Hippo and I have been told they were built in Portugal licenced by Petromax.Big difference compared to a cheap copy.I have used tilleys in the past and still have a Coleman duel fuel.Hippos were also supplied to the post war German Army from the factory

I own a Hippo and I have been told they were built in Portugal licenced by Petromax.Big difference compared to a cheap copy.I have used tilleys in the past and still have a Coleman duel fuel.Hippos were also supplied to the post war German Army from the factory
Sorry, yes, you are correct.
I remember now.
There was a cheap nasty copy, but the name eludes me.

Anchor?

Yes it was anchor.
They rusted rather quickly, but they did give a much brighter light than the old tilley.
The hardware shop in our village had a paraffin pump just inside the door so it was easy to get fuel for it.
Don't know about nowadays as it's a chip shop :rolleyes:

Yes it was anchor.
They rusted rather quickly, but they did give a much brighter light than the old tilley.
The hardware shop in our village had a paraffin pump just inside the door so it was easy to get fuel for it.
Don't know about nowadays as it's a chip shop :rolleyes:
Feck me, my old grey matter still works šŸ¤£

Sorry, yes, you are correct.
I remember now.
There was a cheap nasty copy, but the name eludes me.
One of the many clones was Anchor or sea Anchor.The build quality was terrible.With a bit of work they could made reliable but it was a bit hit and miss
Feck me, my old grey matter still works šŸ¤£
Hi yes they did.I also remember the fun and and games lighting them.They were not the same Quality as the Hippos or Petromax.With the Tilley and Vapalux lamps the secret was preheat the lamp properly.Otherwise flared and smoked like hell.A young man I went to school with turned out to own a firm called Base Camp that sells parts and used pressure lamps and stoves.A mine of information.

Still have a Tilley (has a brass base so really old), Light was less than the Chinese - Anchor (350 Candle power) then there was a 500 CP as well they all rusted. Friends had the Hippolito's. Optimus (500CP) was the bee knees as it was SS, think that was replaced by the Petromax have got that now, but moving to LED base and a head torch, Hand warmers to replace the heat from the parafin lights.
As Shirl says and wants just need the Cod to recover or avoid the Mega trawlers!
Tight lines guys!

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back