• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lantern for night fishing

Your lights must be permanently off then Mr Fish... 🤣

I use Fenix Shadowmasters, excellent head lamps..(y)

Ian.
You’ve lost me there? Permanently off?
No offence taken, just can’t quite follow, lol

I like my Princeton Tec Apex as it has a dimmer function, which goes very dim and that’s fine by me, I don’t need a lighthouse although it can do that if I want it to.
Only issue is I’ve had two fail now with a faulty battery housing cable - both replaced without quibble for free under the warranty by Princeton Tec UK, despite the light being purchased from the States.
So if it happens again I might just have to see if a local techie can repair it or consider a different brand, which is a shame as they do exactly what I want in a headlamp.

You’ve lost me there? Permanently off?
No offence taken, just can’t quite follow, lol

I like my Princeton Tec Apex as it has a dimmer function, which goes very dim and that’s fine by me, I don’t need a lighthouse although it can do that if I want it to.
Only issue is I’ve had two fail now with a faulty battery housing cable - both replaced without quibble for free under the warranty by Princeton Tec UK, despite the light being purchased from the States.
So if it happens again I might just have to see if a local techie can repair it or consider a different brand, which is a shame as they do exactly what I want in a headlamp.
You said you had your light on to unhook... ;)

Ian.

I'm a headlight fan over the lanterns nowadays.
I started sea fishing and took a tilley plus a head torch for the first few years then realised the tilley was more stuff to carry and it only ever got used to heat pipes or big stones for hand warmers.
So now I just take a decent head torch and a back up one too, they weigh alot less than a tilley.
I say all that, but I don't really fish the height of winter when the beaches are frozen so I can get away without the tilley.
If it was below 0° I'd certainly consider taking a tilley and using it for pies/stones.

If I was after a base camp light, I'd be asking wether I just want it for the light or the heat too.
If it's just light, as trampster says, led all the way.
If it's for heat too, I like my old tilley but that's because I got brought up with them, I know how they work and can repair them.

I use a petzl head torch that's about 10 years old, 3 aaa batteries lasts about 10 hours I guess on setting 1 or 2, only pits out about 160 lumens, but that's plenty for me.
The fenix ones seem good and never hear a bad work about them.
I'd definitely avoid anything cheap and unbranded though, I've had a couple of cheap Chinese bike lights, both ended up with either the battery going bang or the light giving up, not a situation I'd like to be in on a beach at 2 am...
Hi I use a old Petromax lantern dating back to the 1970s on a regular basis in conjunction with a Ledlenser head torch.I Normally fish beach venues around the Solent and find this combination works well for me on some but not all marks

You guys have not fished a cold febuary nite down dungy then where the worms are freezing and ice hanging down from your tip eye and the shingle frozen together inside ur biddy
I have 🤣

Does using petrol lamps sometimes contaminate your skin and then rigs.. bait etc..?
I use to fill mine the day before.
No reason why you would get petrol/paraffin on your hands when lighting them.

I use to fill mine the day before.
No reason why you would get petrol/paraffin on your hands when lighting them.
The Tilleys you had to light with meths so did tend to get a bit messy as the burner thingy was kept in a jar with it.
Mind you, still caught fish.

I’m just glad not to have to faff with the heavy smelly things these days…

My northstar had a electronic spark that ignited the fuel
My tilleys I modified the lighting system as the original was not that good you had to get the regulator hot to evaparate the paraffin if this did not happen you ended up with a black smoked glass

Hi Guys,

I do love the old night fishing, I find it more peaceful, and always seem to get better results.

My grandfather used to use an old paraffin Tilley lamp (I'm sure that's what he called it!) back in the day.
Would love to go back out at night but dont have a lantern so need to order one.

Anyone recommend a decent lantern?
Doesnt have to be a paraffin one, even a modern LED battery powered one would be OK.

What would you recommend?
Hi I use a ledlenser headlamp.Highly recommend

My northstar had a electronic spark that ignited the fuel
My tilleys I modified the lighting system as the original was not that good you had to get the regulator hot to evaparate the paraffin if this did not happen you ended up with a black smoked glass

I love the hiss and comforting warmth of my petrol Coleman Northstar lighting up my base. Don’t think I would ever be tempted to change to a battery LED lantern. Obviously I use a head torch too. Couldn’t imagine night fishing without a lantern.
Me as well

Here's how I use to light my Tilley
I'd sock cotton wool in paraffin in a small jar
Then put it on that lid(shoe Polish lid) with a peg then light it and then push the lid up to the underside of the glass and secure with peg
Leave a minute then pump like fcuk open the valve then band instant combustion

20240919_153321.jpg

Here's how I use to light my Tilley
I'd sock cotton wool in paraffin in a small jar
Then put it on that lid(shoe Polish lid) with a peg then light it and then push the lid up to the underside of the glass and secure with peg
Leave a minute then pump like fcuk open the valve then band instant combustion

View attachment 70766
I really wouldn’t want to cook on that.. it would look like something mr fish had made..😳

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back