• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Saltwater fly fishing

Hi guys
I've not got a Scrooby bout fly fishing
But I want to try a fly behind a bombada for mullet/bass and if I'm lucky sea Trout
What color/pattern do you think would work well

Hi guys
But I want to try a fly behind a bombada for mullet/bass and if I'm lucky sea Trout
Just like trout, just experiment with colours, if you got a snap link on the end do a few casts with one and just slip it off and do other colours.

I fished one of our Co Reservoirs and there were 4 locations that only took one colour and not the other, ranging from lime green, red, orange and very dark colour.

I’m glad this subject came up so nice one @Casker
A little while ago I was given a fly set up from an old friend who enjoyed fly fishing for Pike.
I have a couple of rods, reel with 2 spools and a load of flies and sundries. I’m saving it for when I retire!
So my question is … as said it has 2 spools, one with bright orange line the other with a drab green…I heard fly lines are colour coded for what they are floating or sinking etc?
Is that right? If so what lines have I got …more to the point, what lines would I need/preferred for Bass fishing?

A little while ago I was given a fly set up from an old friend who enjoyed fly fishing for Pike.
I have a couple of rods, reel with 2 spools and a load of flies and sundries. I’m saving it for when I retire!
So my question is … as said it has 2 spools, one with bright orange line the other with a drab green…I heard fly lines are colour coded for what they are floating or sinking etc?
Is that right? If so what lines have I got …more to the point, what lines would I need/preferred for Bass fishing?
Great question - I will also be looking forward to a knowledgeable member's reply.

Hi guys
Clouser;s will get bass and sea trout as will most fry patterns . Blue and silver. For mullet shrimp patterns or bloodworm type flies I have heard of them being caught on bread flies as well

@Mushty yes the lines are different

Just try in somewhere it will be easy to tell which is Floating line, Intermediate line, sinker or fast sinker, like y bath tub ;) ;)

Generally floating lines are more visible and sinking lines are drab, but not always. Try them in water and you'll soon find out
Yes sure the floater is yellow and fast sinker is the darkest (black)

But like said easy to find out

Intermediate is a funny term. Its a variety of slow sinkers really. Most of the lines sold - unless otherwise specified - are are designed for freshwater. Bearing in mind the density of the brine then that makes them sink even slower (particularly towards the tip generally, unless DC'd) some not at all. Like I said, you need to try them and see. Flylines vary a hell of a lot ime

Fly reels come mostly as LHW same as fixed spool reels. Either can usually be changed to RHW.
The Danish lads fish for sea trout with Bombadas and often use a fly as a dropper. Seem to be mostly shrimp patterns. Worth a Google and a watch. Flies for bass I would go for something with a sandeel or baitfish profile, Clousers or Deceivers. Colours blue/white, olive/white, pink/white all white. Never fly fished for mullet so no idea.

Great question - I will also be looking forward to a knowledgeable member's reply.
For mullet try an imitation maggot or bread flake with a long leader. As above for bass etc.

My explanation not good: it looked like a r-handed wind, but it is not - I had to reverse the presented reel mounting "out of the bag" to make it all work. So I've ended up with a l-handed reel when it looked like I was getting (wanted) a right-handed reel ! Naughty Lidl/Rocktrail ! - but I'm really not too hung-up about as this is just an experimental cheap (potentially throw-away) purchase.
Ok well I'm also a previous fly fisher (trout) so to help you,
Fly fishing you hold the rod & cast with your prominent hand/arm, and you reel with your weak hand/arm, because most of the time you leave the reel well alone, it's only there to hold the line, even most fish playing is done by hand with the line held clamped inside the first joint of your index finger. or between the thumb & index finger.
and the line comes off the bottom of the reel not the top.

Ok well I'm also a previous fly fisher (trout) so to help you,
Fly fishing you hold the rod & cast with your prominent hand/arm, and you reel with your weak hand/arm, because most of the time you leave the reel well alone, it's only there to hold the line, even most fish playing is done by hand with the line held clamped inside the first joint of your index finger. or between the thumb & index finger.
and the line comes off the bottom of the reel not the top.
How about locking your wrist?

To cast, think of the rod as a spring & to cast you need to bend the spring & then let it throw the line forward.
the rest is just timing, with a short line you use the rod more to 'flick' the line, so the movement is a bit quicker, but once there's 10yds out you need to slow down a bit to allow the rod to 'throw' the line,
a count of 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with 1 being the arm casting either forward or back, 2 is allowing the line time to react & fly through the air, 3 feeling/seeing the line fully extend in the air before you cast again.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back