• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Question about Ragworm

Careful them things can bite. I normally chop their heads off.

Last edited:
With regard to the amount of Ragworm required can anybody tell me how many worms are in 1lb? I know it won't be exact as its by weight and size of worms will vary but a rough idea will be useful to work out if 1lb of Rag will be enough for 2 days fishing
You will come home with lots as well :ROFLMAO:

Thanks @Beach
Careful them things can bite.
yeah I'm aware that the little buggers bite which is another reason I've not used them before along with the slight irrational phobia of things with millions or wriggling legs 🤣
You will come home with lots as well :ROFLMAO:
I bloody hope not lol

Cool boxes.
Keep the bloody things full and closed!
What I'm saying is take 2.
1 for day 1 and 1 for day 2.
Pack the 2nd one with as few air pockets as possible and as many ice packs as possible. Keep it closed till day 2. Don't be tempted to take a peek and see if it's still frozen. 👍

Try some pop up rigs, just thread some big pieces of white foam behind the hook. Just standard clip downs, loops or flappers. On these rigs I'd use flouro carbon hook links and hooks, from size 4 to size 2. I wouldn't get fixated on rag, you'll probably find it gets stripped quickly and mackerel strips, or squid strips picks out the better fish. As to quantity, it's very hard to keep worm fresh on the beach, so I wouldn't take more than around a 1lb, otherwise you end up with expensive mush. The number of worms depends on size, probably better value if they are farmed rag, they tend to be smaller. If chesil is calm and clear concentrate on first or last light, the dropping light conditions generally gets them on the feed.

Cool boxes.
Keep the bloody things full and closed!
What I'm saying is take 2.
1 for day 1 and 1 for day 2.
Pack the 2nd one with as few air pockets as possible and as many ice packs as possible. Keep it closed till day 2. Don't be tempted to take a peek and see if it's still frozen. 👍
Cheers @Shirleycodlin that's a great idea except I don't have time to get a second cool box (leaving at crack of dawn tomorrow). I do have a cool bag but it's not as good as a proper box but might be worth a try

Try some pop up rigs, just thread some big pieces of white foam behind the hook. Just standard clip downs, loops or flappers. On these rigs I'd use flouro carbon hook links and hooks, from size 4 to size 2. I wouldn't get fixated on rag, you'll probably find it gets stripped quickly and mackerel strips, or squid strips picks out the better fish. As to quantity, it's very hard to keep worm fresh on the beach, so I wouldn't take more than around a 1lb, otherwise you end up with expensive mush. The number of worms depends on size, probably better value if they are farmed rag, they tend to be smaller. If chesil is calm and clear concentrate on first or last light, the dropping light conditions generally gets them on the feed.
@squidword that's great advice thanks, the more info I can get the better. Really appreciate it mate 👍

@flappy that could be worth a try in a worst case scenario 🤣

Fox do an Arma Mesh Kit in 14mm & 22mm for making Sausage like baits, which helps keep Crabs away and baits intact.
Finger bandage will do the same, and is much cheaper, but not so easy to use without the filling tube & plunger.

Cheers @Shirleycodlin that's a great idea except I don't have time to get a second cool box (leaving at crack of dawn tomorrow). I do have a cool bag but it's not as good as a proper box but might be worth a try
Cool bag day 1
Box day 2👍

Fox do an Arma Mesh Kit in 14mm & 22mm for making Sausage like baits, which helps keep Crabs away and baits intact.
Finger bandage will do the same, and is much cheaper, but not so easy to use without the filling tube & plunger.

Thanks @Trampster I already have the Arma Mesh kit from my from my freshwater kit so might give that a try if all else is failing 👍

Thanks @Trampster I already have the Arma Mesh kit from my from my freshwater kit so might give that a try if all else is failing 👍
As far as I know, the freshwater kits use PVA Mesh? The jury seems to be out regarding PVA dissolving in Salt Water.
The one I linked to is not PVA so does not dissolve.

As far as I know, the freshwater kits use PVA Mesh? The jury seems to be out regarding PVA dissolving in Salt Water.
The one I linked to is not PVA so does not dissolve.
Yeah I have both mate, the one is more for free offerings around your hook bait. The Arma Mesh one doesn’t dissolve like you say and can be useful for soft baits when there's crayfish around 👍

Well I'm off early tomorrow so thanks everyone for all the advice 👍 If things go well I'll do a catch report when I return, if they go shit I'll just come back here and have a mumble about how shit it was with as many excuses to why I didnt catch as I can think of 🤣 Tight lines for the weekend everyone 🎣

Well I'm off early tomorrow so thanks everyone for all the advice 👍 If things go well I'll do a catch report when I return, if they go shit I'll just come back here and have a mumble about how shit it was with as many excuses to why I didnt catch as I can think of 🤣 Tight lines for the weekend everyone 🎣
Yep I’ll be mumbling about how shit it was when I do a report later 🙄
Though tbf it was more of a social to meet a mate and Tat on here did give me good advice, but I didn’t really have time to make up the proper rigs etc so it was probably all a bit half arsed by Chesil regulars’ standards.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back