• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Half price Lidl telescopic rod rests

What max' stable height do you manage to get with your Salt @Trampster ?
If I remember correctly, near 7ft. Not at home to check. SOme say they don't like the Salt as it's heavier than some, but the weight all helps to keep the rods stable.

I’ve never had a tripod with bracing, I’ve always used Ian Golds tripods too.
At HW (when on HW bank) if weather and sea conditions permit I like to get the rods almost horizontal so I’m not straining my neck!
Everyone to their own, but if surf fishing, it pays to keep the rod tips high so that the line is above the water breaking on the shoreline, to avoid your line getting buried in the shingle/sand.

Everyone to their own, but if surf fishing, it pays to keep the rod tips high so that the line is above the water breaking on the shoreline, to avoid your line getting buried in the shingle/sand.
That’s why I said at HW when on the HW bank “if weather and sea conditions allow” !!
Obviously if conditions weren’t right then I wouldn’t!
Think I been doing it long enough to know! 🤔

@Mushty - I've come across advisories re low rod tip or horizontal rod, but I don't fully get it.
I have read TSF Article "Improving bite detection", which is a very comprehensive article, but, even so, this thicko still doesn't entirely get it (i.e. rod orientation/angle in a rod-rest). I'll re-read the Article, but any additional advice from your own experience please ?
I set rods in the tripod to just less than parallel to the sea. I see the movement in the rod tips better than upright facing the sea. I like to have the rod tips as low as possible depending on conditions purely because sitting on my tackle box I like to look level if that makes sense instead of up to the sky.

And the waves banging your tips about constantly. And the weed snagging on a lower line.
But depends where people are fishing of course.

On a surf beach I have the tips pretty high but then I stand away from the tripod a bit so I’m not craning my neck.

But then it’s also a pretty mobile form of fishing and I’m moving every 20-30 minutes anyway so almost never actually sit on my box and don’t have a base camp!

If I'm on a beach like Chesil, the shelter will be back above the high water mark, the rod rest between shelter & water level, so even with the tips high they won't be much above eye level, from the shelter.
If I'm on a bank or rock ledge above the Bristol channel I'll keep the tips lower, so I use a shorter rest.
Do you mean the (lidl) legs are 4'6" long, or do you mean they spread to a fixed angle and at that angle the rest is 4'6" vertical height ?

If I'm on a beach like Chesil, the shelter will be back above the high water mark, the rod rest between shelter & water level, so even with the tips high they won't be much above eye level, from the shelter.
If I'm on a bank or rock ledge above the Bristol channel I'll keep the tips lower, so I use a shorter rest.
Do you mean the (lidl) legs are 4'6" long, or do you mean they spread to a fixed angle and at that angle the rest is 4'6" vertical height ?
4' 4" height (to bottom of forks) is with all 3 legs fully extended & spread to max'. All 3 extended legs (hinge to foot) measure 146cm (4' 9.5").

Given a bit of debate here, please excuse me/go with me for a moment ! Obviously the chosen rod rest needs to be stable (with added rod-rest weight as deemed necessary); butt-end rod cups can be advantageous keeping butt-end lift in check on a bite (leaving aside use of cups to keep butt out of sticky sand/mud); but then the actual butt-end rod/reel weight will also be a factor; then rod angle & pivot-point (along rod length) plus the amount of reel drag (depending on size/snatch force of hooked quarry) will also be factors in the efficacy of a particular rod & rest combination/set-up. Oh, and where your rod/rest are set up relative to a beach profile and height/power of the surf will also be key factors as regards "what works".

Right now, I'm fairly happy that I'm able to make my Lidl (Rockfield) rod-rest/beach rod combinations (12' to 14' rods) work. Adapt to be adept !! Doesn't mean I won't consider alternative (more expensive) rod-rest solutions when I'm fully hooked on this "fishing thing" !

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll stick with my 6' Golds or Weymouth angling with 4'-8' extending front legs.
Both are very stable on the beach, & the adjustable legs can be a boon on the rocks.

4' 4" height (to bottom of forks) is with all 3 legs fully extended & spread to max'. All 3 extended legs (hinge to foot) measure 146cm (4' 9.5").

Given a bit of debate here, please excuse me/go with me for a moment ! Obviously the chosen rod rest needs to be stable (with added rod-rest weight as deemed necessary); butt-end rod cups can be advantageous keeping butt-end lift in check on a bite (leaving aside use of cups to keep butt out of sticky sand/mud); but then the actual butt-end rod/reel weight will also be a factor; then rod angle & pivot-point (along rod length) plus the amount of reel drag (depending on size/snatch force of hooked quarry) will also be factors in the efficacy of a particular rod & rest combination/set-up. Oh, and where your rod/rest are set up relative to a beach profile and height/power of the surf will also be key factors as regards "what works".

Right now, I'm fairly happy that I'm able to make my Lidl (Rockfield) rod-rest/beach rod combinations (12' to 14' rods) work. Adapt to be adept !! Doesn't mean I won't consider alternative (more expensive) rod-rest solutions when I'm fully hooked on this "fishing thing" !
If it works for you it’s all good. Would be interested to hear how you’ve got on with it after a few trips?

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back