• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Where does older tackle rank ?

My SLRs feel soft compared to my zeteque, but there’s not much in it as far as casting distance is concerned.

You don’t need sensitivity for flounder fishing. The bloody things just hook themselves. It’s more about timing than looking for bites.
I will bow to your superior knowledge on the matter, :whistle: we had the home nation's shore championships up this neck of the woods a few weeks ago I bet the 80 competing anglers wish they had given you a call prior to wasting their time ;)

I will bow to your superior knowledge on the matter, :whistle: we had the home nation's shore championships up this neck of the woods a few weeks ago I bet the 80 competing anglers wish they had given you a call prior to wasting their time ;)
Most match anglers fish to the clock now.

The latest thing is to start off with say 9 inch snoods and keep using longer ones until they start catching. They then stay with that rig for the rest of the match. Seems to work. I’ve match fished at reasonable level and beaten some England team members at a few matches, so I do have an inkling about match fishing. Picked up a few quid in my time too, but would rather pleasure fish. I take my hat off to the likes of George Smith, his dedication is unreal. He’s a nice bloke too.

Nice to have a soft tip for casting maddies though and for twitching baits back especially with braid
That’s where conti rods come into their own. I’ve got a couple and love fishing with them, but the rod doesn’t catch the fish, it’s the last few feet at the other end that does the business.

That’s where conti rods come into their own. I’ve got a couple and love fishing with them, but the rod doesn’t catch the fish, it’s the last few feet at the other end that does the business.
Yep but some tackle is just nicer to use, as long as you can. Local flounder marks in the estuary are only fishable for the last 2 hours of the flood and two back down, then it requires at least 6oz and a massive bow in the line. You never see a bite unless they trip the lead

Yep but some tackle is just nicer to use, as long as you can. Local flounder marks in the estuary are only fishable for the last 2 hours of the flood and two back down, then it requires at least 6oz and a massive bow in the line. You never see a bite unless they trip the lead
Our estuary is many hours of a light flow where 4oz is usually the most you need, some part of the ebb tide, a lot of it just depends on what freshwater is coming down.
The main flood surge is over within 90 minutes and is insane, usually time to go home then unless you can fish a back eddy or something

Yep but some tackle is just nicer to use, as long as you can. Local flounder marks in the estuary are only fishable for the last 2 hours of the flood and two back down, then it requires at least 6oz and a massive bow in the line. You never see a bite unless they trip the lead f Cree vet/j by
That’s when timed casts come into it. One very good angler I know (made Alan Yate’s top ten) was once told his rod had crap bite detection. His reply was, I don’t want to see bites, I just want to reel in after ten minutes and have three fish on the end.

As for flounder fishing......I spend all my time trying to avoid them and all other non target aka nuisance species! Each to their own
We tend not to have much variety at times therefore we make the most of what is available the 2 main species are flounder and cod

As for flounder fishing......I spend all my time trying to avoid them and all other non target aka nuisance species! Each to their own
I’ve always loved flounder fishing, in fact I like catching any flatfish. Our flounders all but disappeared and have never really recovered, so it’s quite special to catch one now.

I’ve always loved flounder fishing, in fact I like catching any flatfish. Our flounders all but disappeared and have never really recovered, so it’s quite special to catch one now.
They are on the rise locally since they have stopped dredging estuary. Them and thornbacks. Plaice and dab numbers well down though

At the end of the day it's down to personal preference. Personally, I think the quality of never rods is definitely poor compared to 20-30 years ago. The cost of high end tackle makes me shudder, especially when you could buy a second hand zipplex or similar brand for half the price? I think the tendency is to produce rods that are way to much for 90% of anglers, it is to appeal to many anglers egos. I understand it's the tools for the job, but personally I find the lighter the kit the more enjoyable. Now if someone could build me a 15ft rod similar to the fox nemesis, that I could fish multiplier down, then I just might be interested.....

A question: when did types of graphite-f/glass combinations or solely graphite blanks start to appear and were the early ones any good (from one's own experience) ?

Supplementary: which do you personally prefer for overall "feel" ? - your older quality f/glass rods (hollow or solid) versus any newer (cheap or expensive) graphite rods or combo glass/graph' material rods that you might have been tempted by ?

A question: when did types of graphite-f/glass combinations or solely graphite blanks start to appear and were the early ones any good (from one's own experience) ?

Supplementary: which do you personally prefer for overall "feel" ? - your older quality f/glass rods (hollow or solid) versus any newer (cheap or expensive) graphite rods or combo glass/graph' material rods that you might have been tempted by ?
I just use what I have except Sensor mono which I purchase new when my jumbo spools start to get low. Also hooks for sea fishng.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back