• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Where does older tackle rank ?

I’m using rods which are are 15 to 20 years old. Some rods are so well thought out that they will be a joy to use forever. My Nemesis Plus SLRs are such rods, along with the original flattie fanatics and the 2000 versions. Conoflex super bass were light years ahead of their time and put many modern rods to shame. I’m sure we all have rods which we think are amazing and will never part with them.

Last edited:
I’m using rods which are are 15 to 20 years old. Some rods are so well thought that they will be a joy to use forever. My Nemesis Plus SLRs are such rods, along with the original flattie fanatics and the 2000 versions. Conoflex super bass were light years ahead of their time and put many modern rods to shame. I’m sure we all have rods which we think are amazing and will never part with them.

IMG_5666.webp

This thread motivated me to look at my rod collection! Rough count I had 20 odd zziplex rods and 10 century rods. I tend to use my fox nemesis for my clean ground work, just love how light the tips are. I suppose they must be around 20 years old possibly? I just don't like the feel of modern rods, most are lifeless sticks and way too much rod for 99% of anglers. I must admit I do like the glass tip in the TTSM mark 2s, the rod is powerful in the mid section, but excellent bite detection, these I use for the reef marks. Clean ground in the BC I use various profiles or TTSM lds which are like carp rods, don't be fooled by the lightness of these rods, I've landed congers to 30+ and hounds to 18+ no problems at all. Reel wise I use a pair of battered SL30h loaded with 25lb line or original fathom 12s for the clean stuff. Majority of my tackle is old, and I definitely don't need any more rods!

Daiwa have manufactured some truly great rods over the decades. I think they are generally underrated as a manufacturer, particularly these days with the glut of 'badge/brands' and generic re polished turds! My mate, an extremely dedicated and successful sea angler, swears by his 12' TDPK (Team Daiwa Paul Kerry) blanks for bass fishing around these parts with 150g leads. I think these might possibly have been the last incarnation of the Moonraker name?

I’m not even sure what moonraker I’ve got but it’s a 12 foot FS and feels crap to fish with tbh
I know there was various models
I only bought my moonraker, (unsure of model it has a alliminum butt),because when I was a nipper if you owned one,you were a 'top' angler.As soon as I got my one it was put in the cupboard never to be used.

All the sea fishing tackle i have is from 2009 when re-started sea fishing again most is cheap stuff and most reels were free with annual subs to sea fishing mag.
Only decent rod is a Penn bass one not sure exact model but it's purple in color was talking to mate who is a decent bass fisherman and he bought 4 of them same time as me for him and his sons, and they still got them. He said the newer replacement rod for it his son bought and snapped.
And i bought a reel loaded with braid, which was well under £50 as i had to make loads up to make the free delivery.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back