• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Problems with my butt

So… £12 for coasters in the shop! 😱😱😱

Once the paramedics had revived me, I thanked him quickly, paid and left before I bought anything else!

Feeling a bit stung but at least I took the rod in, got to try a couple of pairs on it first and also borrow a multi to ensure they would grip the reel seat okay.
Which was useful as the first (breakaway coasters not the disposable ones) pair I tried appeared to be the correct fit until it transpired they didn’t tighten up enough to hold a reel.

Went fishing last night (really nothing to report but might put something up later) so not going tonight but may look at tomorrow night possibly and try the rod out.

Well, profitable end of the afternoon, new tip tape on the rod, coasters on and ready for fishing later.

Also replaced the leg lock kit on my tripod and took off the extending legs, as I never used them anyway.

The ‘new’ rod with reducer where it is looks about the same length as my big Abu so hopefully they’ll be a better pair.

I shall report back on how the rod performed later!

Agree. Works great on a stub manifold - probably not so well on carbon-fibre, although heat would soften the resin and allow things to move around a bit...
Surely softening the resin would increase friction and grip making it less likely to "crack" off

I think you will find that carbon fibre contracts when heated. Add the right type of resin and you should end up with a material that neither contracts nor expands with temperature change. The F1 boys know this and design accordingly.
Not about to give a Zippy a squirt with a blowlamp to find out though.

Surely softening the resin would increase friction and grip making it less likely to "crack" off
My understanding is that softening resin on a microscopic level would move any "high spots" when torque was applied. Not my field though so I can't say for certain. I do have a trout rod which had sticky ferrules, and I used a bit if wet and dry on the male ferule. Worked a treat, but now needs a shim (a single blade of grass works) to tighten the joint before fishing. Would that work with a much beefier rod? - perhaps, with a thicker shim.

My understanding is that softening resin on a microscopic level would move any "high spots" when torque was applied. Not my field though so I can't say for certain. I do have a trout rod which had sticky ferrules, and I used a bit if wet and dry on the male ferule. Worked a treat, but now needs a shim (a single blade of grass works) to tighten the joint before fishing. Would that work with a much beefier rod? - perhaps, with a thicker shim.
I wouldn't do that with a beachcaster. I'm thinking the "resin" would react the same as any other polymer and soften and thus grip more/increase friction. Think car tyres or shoe soles

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back