• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Problems with my butt

The bulge in the wall of the blank is just reinforcement for the reducer. Get yourself a piece of dowel and whack it out. I've spent hours messing with hot water, bags of peas and shaking chicken bones at such joints and none of them work. I can't believe StanM recommended a hacksaw ;)
Why not, he don`t want the feckin` thing so chop it. As to the peas, freezers, heat etc etc etc, load of what flapster talks normally, bollox.

Why not, he don`t want the feckin` thing so chop it. As to the peas, freezers, heat etc etc etc, load of what flapster talks normally, bollox.
I may enjoy the extra length but we’ll see.

If it’s too long for me and as I don’t fish reel down, there’s no earthly reason to keep the reducer so happy to get hacky if needs be!

Who actually has a home freezer of the size you can get a stuck beachcaster in? Nobody I know or would probably want to know! However the hot/ cold thing has worked on stuck sections for me and others - frozen peas on the male and a heat pad on the female - fnack, fnack in a Finbar Saunders style, I'm dreading the incoming replies🤣 - it's the simple physics of expansion and contraction - oh er missus🤪 - of the scrim and resins, NOT the carbon content.

I bow to your greater knowledge on the subject, but why did the freeze/heat method I described, work on a stuck reducer when in Norway?

Or did I just get lucky?
It was a last resort to get it in the rod tube to come home 😁

I thought it was an actual medical thread 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

As i do have a couple of lumps in me back passage.

But sounds like more freezing advice is being given , not Urology!

I bow to your greater knowledge on the subject, but why did the freeze/heat method I described, work on a stuck reducer when in Norway?

Or did I just get lucky?
It was a last resort to get it in the rod tube to come home 😁
Wonder if folk ever consider that they have pulled and pushed and twisted and god knows all what and that the joint simply reached a point where it was ready to come apart. Last resort try one of the old wives tale methods and then presto it comes apart. The outer female joint that gets the treatment is more or less the same material as the male spigot / joint. If one expands they both expand if one shrinks they both shrink. I kept my rod joints cleaned (only bit of the rods) and have never, ever had to deal with a stuck joint, well I have, often but other folks. Two of you, one hand above and one below the joint, twist slightly and pull.

A pennies worth of prevention.....is true. The hot and cold method can and does work Stan. It's a fact. As can taking off the butt cap. As can a jet of compressed air aimed up the sidewall

A pennies worth of prevention.....is true. The hot and cold method can and does work Stan. It's a fact. As can taking off the butt cap. As can a jet of compressed air aimed up the sidewall

Take your word for it, never had to resort to it

Have a older century tip tornado Grand Prix which is prone to sticking together but is down to me been forceful and forgetting as only goes out now and again these days, push spigot past certain point ( using too much force) and it pops then I remember 🤔
Takes two people pull and twist🤷🏽‍♂️

Have a older century tip tornado Grand Prix which is prone to sticking together but is down to me been forceful and forgetting as only goes out now and again these days, push spigot past certain point ( using too much force) and it pops then I remember 🤔
Takes two people pull and twist🤷🏽‍♂️
Clean it and then rub a carpenters pencil on the male section

The reason/theory behind the hot & cold is expansion/contraction caused by the temp change, but carbon rods are pretty much inert, so I can't really see how it would work ?

The reason/theory behind the hot & cold is expansion/contraction caused by the temp change, but carbon rods are pretty much inert, so I can't really see how it would work ?
Don’t understand the exact science applied to carbon rods but pretty much might be the difference… 🤷🏽‍♂️

Because the carbon is bonded with a resin and in many cases there a scrim involved too

Hope you get it sorted Tony they are not bad rods I have used a mates a bit a long time ago. I reckon you will find a use for it.

Because the carbon is bonded with a resin and in many cases there a scrim involved too
:unsure: I still don't see how the hot/cold can work with an inert substance.
The only scrim I know is the base used in camo netting

:unsure: I still don't see how the hot/cold can work with an inert substance.
The only scrim I know is the base used in camo netting
Scrim is a generic term chucked around and is bacially part of the carbon mat used in blank manufacture although the scrim can come in tape form 1-2inch wide to give certain charecteristics to a blank by being placed at strategic areas, ii.e. to stiffen the top 2-3ft of a blank.

Polymer resin, the so called two pack resin used to cover threads and decals becomes completely inert when cured. Want to remove it simple heat from a cig. lighter will thin and soften it. Steel once manufactured is inert but we know heat and cold can affect it, same for many plastics.

Agree. Works great on a stub manifold - probably not so well on carbon-fibre, although heat would soften the resin and allow things to move around a bit...

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back