• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Penn Fathom 12

Get it magged by russ ( blakedog) . The bearings are covered in thick grease when new . To most buyers this is more than managamal . Wash the bearings out and it can become unmanageable the bearing on the gearbox side can not be removed so you need a carb or break cleaner spray to remove the grease . Once done lube with red rocket oil and get IT magged . Once magged no need for the break blocks blakdog mags tame it to perfection
Thanks Mike. If I were to get a couple it would be the 30H's, and I would get the mono mag kits from Russ (Blakdog) and do it myself, Russ supplies fitting instructions. (y)

Ian.

Can get the Daiwa Saltist' 18 30H's for £225 each, hmm, do I or don't I. And £25 each for the mag kits from Russ.. :)

Ian.

Sorry nearly70ty, we seem to have hijacked your thread. :(

Ian.

No problem Wingnut55, all very intresting I like the saltist as well but maybe a bit to pricy for me.

No problem Wingnut55, all very intresting I like the saltist as well but maybe a bit to pricy for me.
I have a pair of mint Saltist 18 30H's in the For Sale section, and a pair of mint Fathom II 15SD's.

Ian.

Last edited:
Sweet so bloody smooth Ian . Totally take the place of the fathoms the retrieve is something else , dragged in hounds last night as if they was Maccys . Casting distance was same as the fathoms did give one a blast and would say it was 200 easy with out bait did measure it with optic finder along beach but crap did it hurt still hurting now in my spine lol . Ian mate don’t get old if fecking hurts
Love my saltist 20’s just another level and as you said cast a dream when magged found the pair well on my match pro for ultimate distance and my t900’s over the heavier stuff had a 14.10 hound a few weeks back in the shallow reefs and it never missed a beat. Made my casting specials a back up reel. 😅 using tags trabbuco low diameter on them and they fly . Sorry Russ but Chris Macey done mine but the 65’s you fine if mine a while back are casting like a dream still.

Love my saltist 20’s just another level and as you said cast a dream when magged found the pair well on my match pro for ultimate distance and my t900’s over the heavier stuff had a 14.10 hound a few weeks back in the shallow reefs and it never missed a beat. Made my casting specials a back up reel. 😅 using tags trabbuco low diameter on them and they fly . Sorry Russ but Chris Macey done mine but the 65’s you fine if mine a while back are casting like a dream still.
I've matched mine up to a pair of tournament match pro's perfect set up

AFAIK tournament match pro
It's 13'11 long .it's light and slim comes with a reducer . It has an incredible tip which shows off the tinyist nibble , it is a powerful rod and can cast up to 7oz I cast it with 5 and 6oz and its a joy to use .I feel its much better than my m4gt which is a floppy stick but then I have a massive hatred for glass tips but the match pro has just as good bite detection and feels a much nicer rod to cast 'there is a massive following for the tournament match pro and is widely used on the Bristol channel and is also used up in Scotland for skate fishing. Best thing is to get on afaw Facebook page . I like the rod it suits me . So but that all I can say about it

AFAIK tournament match pro
It's 13'11 long .it's light and slim comes with a reducer . It has an incredible tip which shows off the tinyist nibble , it is a powerful rod and can cast up to 7oz I cast it with 5 and 6oz and its a joy to use .I feel its much better than my m4gt which is a floppy stick but then I have a massive hatred for glass tips but the match pro has just as good bite detection and feels a much nicer rod to cast 'there is a massive following for the tournament match pro and is widely used on the Bristol channel and is also used up in Scotland for skate fishing. Best thing is to get on afaw Facebook page . I like the rod it suits me . So but that all I can say about it
Thanks for the review Mike they sound just what I'm looking for . Think I'll take the plunge and order one . Cheers .

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back