• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Rod Rest

I have a breakaway tripod, black painted one, and had it before I bought an IG 7ft supermatch I think it is. The IG hasn't been used yet as the breakaway is very light and does what I need it to do.
I would buy another breakaway tripod but I think they are only available from the shop in person, no posting.

And that perhaps explains your aversion to the IG Fed? As I mostly fish on flatish sand, wading out to around knee depth and progressively moving with the tide, the added weight and adjustability of likes of Salt/MTI/Imax tripods doesn't make sense for me. With a 10m + tidal range here, light weight and ease of setting up/moving are of greatest priority. I do have an unbranded Salt style tripod for forays onto rocks etc but it is heavy and doesn't fold away fully without taking bits off and using the crappy carry bag. 98% of the time I pick the IG because its all I need and is perfect for the job. Horses for courses 👍
I don't solely fish rocks Topwater, I fish beaches as well.
Although our biggest tidal range is only 4metres. But when the tide starts making I lift rods in the rest and just lift the whole lot back, but as you say from low to high I would only move maybe 250 metres .

But your missing the point. Lots of other rods rest are light, and I never said anything about IG not being a certain tool for a particular job😎 but it's three tubes of alloy, just the same as every other rod rest. I'm not saying never use an IG if you want, just stop trying to justify it being better because it's an IG.

But I can see the point your making about having to move, sometimes the tides on the North coast strands chase you back up the beach, no sooner have you moved it's time to move again👍 I can only imagine the 10metre range.

Nowt wrong with having a healthy discussion between two adults with differing experience.

Mark ..

This is a healthy discussion Fed👍I'm not missing your points, but just stating mine mate😉 My IG has two tubes for the legs and an angle bar for the 'spine', I think it's the super match/db1 equivalent in the current range but I'm not 100% sure on that as I've only ever had to buy one. For a long time I had a cobbled together set of bamboo canes.

This is a healthy discussion Fed👍I'm not missing your points, but just stating mine mate😉 My IG has two tubes for the legs and an angle bar for the 'spine', I think it's the super match/db1 equivalent in the current range but I'm not 100% sure on that as I've only ever had to buy one. For a long time I had a cobbled together set of bamboo canes.
That’s what I’ve got I think

My Imax weighs less than my Ian Golds and just as adjustable.
So is your Imax not a Salt style/clone? I ask as my IG isn't adjustable in as many ways as my Salt style/clone is ie you can move the cups up and down the spine but the legs aren't telescopic

I don't solely fish rocks Topwater, I fish beaches as well.
Although our biggest tidal range is only 4metres. But when the tide starts making I lift rods in the rest and just lift the whole lot back, but as you say from low to high I would only move maybe 250 metres .

But your missing the point. Lots of other rods rest are light, and I never said anything about IG not being a certain tool for a particular job😎 but it's three tubes of alloy, just the same as every other rod rest. I'm not saying never use an IG if you want, just stop trying to justify it being better because it's an IG.

But I can see the point your making about having to move, sometimes the tides on the North coast strands chase you back up the beach, no sooner have you moved it's time to move again👍 I can only imagine the 10metre range.

Nowt wrong with having a healthy discussion between two adults with differing experience.

Mark ..
Yes, you don't like IG rests mate, we heard you the first time. (y)

Ian.

Yes, you don't like IG rests mate, we heard you the first time. (y)

Ian.
Really? Right guys it was good while it lasted but once again I am off. I won't be missed I know😄🥴🤪😜❤️😁😔😅😆😉😂🥰🤐🍳😡🤗😍😭😭😐 but then again I won't miss dumb fuks who are to stupid to read.

All my love,
Fedstar...🤪

Anyone interested in a MTI
with bag two changeable heads
And a double cup butt holder

So come on somebody tell me what manufacturing process, what exotic material, what? Has to be something about IG rests that makes them way better than all the rest, and don't give me longevity as they last no longer than any other tripod I have owned. Just don't get me started please😄

Mark...
I've had an IG Supermatch for over 20 years, there's a bit more to it than just a sticker, but the detail might well go unnoticed by those who don't bother to look. :rolleyes:
The main points to me are that the locking threads are brass not plastic, I've stripped a plastic thread on the top T on the beach before which was a real PITA, the other main benefit are the directional rod holders on the T bar, which I find far superior to the simple Aluminium U used on many others.
I've also got a Weymouth Angling tripod which has telescopic front legs which can be handy, but it's got plastic threads & the Ally U holders, so not my first choice, and I've got a 3rd slightly smaller tripod which has got 3 round legs (rather than the main leg being angle) the head is a fixed plastic moulding & it doesn't have butt cups but it can work with a low rod angle on stone harbour walls.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back