• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

River fishing in France

Some great photos of nice fish there Steve! 🎣🎣👍👍

As usual the summer fishing has been difficult. I had several nice barbel whilst camping at Cajarc, that was about the last time there was a reasonable flow to the river.......

View attachment 69125View attachment 69126

A good carp of 24lb from a difficult swim, again whilst there was still some flow........

View attachment 69127

I had a very good chub and a nice barbel that day as well.

On camping trip downriver I had a "funny" carp close to 20 lb from a very high banked swim. I caught an almost identical odd looking "goldfish" carp just 100 metres downstream last year. Either they share the same genes or something funny is going on! .....

View attachment 69128

During the following weeks flow dropped to nothing. August it is more like lake fishing and..... I have to put up with tourists! I have still found a few more barbel but they are generally small.

On a more positive note the big carp are being caught, just not by me!

I have a new neighbour, now a friend, who has started a carp fishing boat business. David has fished for carp in public waters in France for years, now he has set up Carp Pirate adventures. Here is a recent Youtube video......

Although I have had many carp now from this river I have also lost plenty. For the 40lb and upwards fish a boat or inflatable offers huge advantages to finding, playing and landing these tough creatures.

and his page on Facebook......https://www.facebook.com/carppiratesadventures

I have no financial interest in this business. David is a good angler with lots of energy, his boat is superb!

I wish him luck with his enterprise! (y)
Fit looking healthy fish, very nice.👍

Another fishing post, it's been long enough since my last! I love autumn here on the river Lot, probably the best season of the year for fishing.
This autumn has been very good despite heavy rain at times and my losing two weeks to a heavy cold and then sinus infection. But I had barbel before falling ill, fourteen of good sizes over three short sessions.

IMG_20240923_165208.jpg
1727114688523.jpg1726684809447.jpg

The river has been up and down so many times, the big dams upriver let out huge lumps of water at random. Some days the river barely moves, others it races by at frightening speed!

A few day ago the river was racing and my only chance of fish was to find a quiet backwater. My first choice swim had been taken by these two "celebrity" anglers, anyone recognise them?

IMG_20241011_115051.jpg

Their camera crew of about 20 were in the spot I would have fished, though there are sometimes carp sheltering where M& W were fishing.

So I shouted at them "You buggers nicked my swim, Good Luck" and got a sideways glance from Bob. I bet he was thinking "Buck off you twit"....or words to that effect! :ROFLMAO:

So I went further upriver to where another canal section joins the main river.

IMG_20241011_154042.jpg

The river was still racing so I put the 2.2lb tc rod up the canal section for carp with a large double boilie/pva bag arrangement. The 1.75lb tc rod I fished with a single boilie at the edge of the main current 20`feet from the point of an island, the current split there for the main river or canal back eddy.

1728666481226.jpg

The canal rod went off after about an hour. A good carp shot 80 metres further up the canal with me following, trying to keep my line from catching the rocks, dead trees and weeds that this section is choked by. Then I had to walk it back to the main river for netting, quite a struggle as the fish was not being at all helpful!

After a few dashes under a moored boat I got this lovely carp in the net........

IMG_20241011_152716~2.jpg

24 lbs of very pretty river Lot carp, looking lovely in the autumn sunshine!

So, that bait was cast out again and the other line reeled in to clear leaves, I cast that back out a little closer to the island.

Another hour past and the "island" rod is in action, will the fish break right into the main river flow or left into the canal?:eek: Fortunately it chose left and made an even longer run into the canal than the first carp. Much the same battle ensued but on the lighter rod had less control, but I got there eventually and the fish was in the net, phew!!!

1728666024080.jpg

This carp was a little smaller at 22 lbs, but what a fighter!:love:

If Mortimer and Whitehouse had not been filming I doubt I would have fished this spot this day, I (grudgingly!) say "Thankyou!" (y)

Great report and excellent photos Steve! Well done! 🎣🎣👍👍

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back