• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Multipliers - why?

I had a cast of a fixed spool yesterday, the first time for many a year,I could have thrown the weight & trace further.!!!!
I'd suggest that's down to technique rather than anything to do with the type of reel.

I use both fixed spool and multiplier reels and can cast almost exactly the same distance with either if using a suitable make and size of reel. I pick my reel more to do with the type of fishing (species, conditions, line strength and potential snags) than preference to type of reel, but enjoy using both, although if really pushed I would say that fixed spool is probably easier and more versatile than a multiplier, but will definitely still continue to use both types.

I'd suggest that's down to technique rather than anything to do with the type of reel.

I use both fixed spool and multiplier reels and can cast almost exactly the same distance with either if using a suitable make and size of reel. I pick my reel more to do with the type of fishing (species, conditions, line strength and potential snags) than preference to type of reel, but enjoy using both, although if really pushed I would say that fixed spool is probably easier and more versatile than a multiplier, but will definitely still continue to use both types.
I’d say a multi is more versatile in actual beach fishing terms? Ratchet, easy/quick to adjust drag etc?

But if you mean fixed spool has wider uses, then I agree.
Spinning, float fishing, lighter work, would all be awkward with a multi imo.
Our estuary fishing for flounder, we’re often only flicking it 20 yards max and sometimes just 10 feet or so, depending on the mark/state of tide.
I did try smaller multis for it years ago but it was really just a hiding to nothing as you can’t flick out a multi in the same way that you can a fixed spool.

And feathering with a multi is just a right pain in the nether regions, it doesn’t retrieve enough line to be effective imo.

To add to that, yep I suppose you could use a small bait caster type multi in the estuary but then you also need something that can cope with weed, strong tide, heavier weights at times, etc.

The £14 Lidl fixed spools are perfect for it.

A combination of horses for courses, the right tools for the job in hand and a good dose of personal preference! I don't do a lot of beachcasting these days (IF the codling show up this winter that will change but🙏🤞) but when I do it's almost always with a multi. Having spent decades trying to perfect the reels and casting techniques they just feel right to me. A big FS feels clumsy in comparison. Whilst FS may well be easy and certainly the better choice for braid, I really don't like braid for bait fishing my local marks. I like a ratchet, loathe line twist and get a weird thrill from living on the edge of the world of birds nests🤪

I’d say a multi is more versatile in actual beach fishing terms? Ratchet, easy/quick to adjust drag etc?

But if you mean fixed spool has wider uses, then I agree.
Spinning, float fishing, lighter work, would all be awkward with a multi imo.
Our estuary fishing for flounder, we’re often only flicking it 20 yards max and sometimes just 10 feet or so, depending on the mark/state of tide.
I did try smaller multis for it years ago but it was really just a hiding to nothing as you can’t flick out a multi in the same way that you can a fixed spool.

And feathering with a multi is just a right pain in the nether regions, it doesn’t retrieve enough line to be effective imo.
Fixed spool reels I use do have a line out ratchet it's just rather more subtle than what you get from a multiplier and you can fish them in baitrunner mode without worrying about over runs. Drag is just as easy to adjust if you know what you are doing. Sure you put a twist in the line very time you cast but you take that twist out when you retrieve. Twist does build up over time but it's not such a problem when you are using braid and braid was the game changer for fixed spools. Flicking short distances with a multiplier is just as easy as with a fixed spool, I do it all the time when river fishing. I would not want to drag in a big bundle of weed with the baitcasters I use on rivers though.
As I have already posted on here my days of using multipliers in the sea are over because of my hands.

Fixed spool reels I use do have a line out ratchet it's just rather more subtle than what you get from a multiplier and you can fish them in baitrunner mode without worrying about over runs. Drag is just as easy to adjust if you know what you are doing. Sure you put a twist in the line very time you cast but you take that twist out when you retrieve. Twist does build up over time but it's not such a problem when you are using braid and braid was the game changer for fixed spools. Flicking short distances with a multiplier is just as easy as with a fixed spool, I do it all the time when river fishing. I would not want to drag in a big bundle of weed with the baitcasters I use on rivers though.
As I have already posted on here my days of using multipliers in the sea are over because of my hands.
Well yes, bait runners do effectively act as ratchets although quieter as you say.
But unless it’s changed they tend to be on the smaller sized reels in my experience.
The Lidl ones I use in the estuary have them and they’re fine for that but I wouldn’t want to use them proper beach casting.

Yes as I said, kind of, I imagine you could flick with a small bait caster multi but they’d be badly over gunned in the estuary when there’s a lot of weed and debris around.
The actual fish/fishing they could cope with for sure.

Well yes, bait runners do effectively act as ratchets although quieter as you say.
But unless it’s changed they tend to be on the smaller sized reels in my experience.
The Lidl ones I use in the estuary have them and they’re fine for that but I wouldn’t want to use them proper beach casting.

Yes as I said, kind of, I imagine you could flick with a small bait caster multi but they’d be badly over gunned in the estuary when there’s a lot of weed and debris around.
The actual fish/fishing they could cope with for sure.
Not baitrunners just ordinary Daiwa and Shimano 8000 (numbers do vary from 5000 to 14000) size front drag fixed spools for sea use although they became known as big pit reels. Just slacken off the drag a tad and away you go, instant baitrunner and not a lot of people know that ;)
All have the click function when feeding line not loud but enough of an indication so you can spill coffee all over your lap.

Not baitrunners just ordinary Daiwa and Shimano 8000 (numbers do vary from 5000 to 14000) size front drag fixed spools for sea use although they became known as big pit reels. Just slacken off the drag a tad and away you go, instant baitrunner and not a lot of people know that ;)
All have the click function when feeding line not loud but enough of an indication so you can spill coffee all over your lap.
Oh I see what you mean. Yep a bit too quiet for me and more faff than I like but doable.

Bronzhaii over on the dark side lived in Namibia, days when there were some good rod builders only to willing to offer advice over there.

Thought so, name was Jeri, wife was Sue. ( Excalibur rods) He spent hours on the phone to me when he was In ireland and getting started.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back