• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Multipliers - why?

I agree with the op choice of title.
Multipliers.. why.?
Because fixed spool reels twist the line as they wind it on/off, multipliers don't.
Multipliers are also more mechanically efficient because the handle & spool rotate in the same plane while a fixed spool rotates at 90 degrees to the handle. :geek:

Because fixed spool reels twist the line as they wind it on/off, multipliers don't.
Multipliers are also more mechanically efficient because the handle & spool rotate in the same plane while a fixed spool rotates at 90 degrees to the handle. :geek:
Well I didn’t know that. .. so more efficient means faster.?

Erm, generally fixed spools are faster as a bigger spool, more line retrieved with each wind of the handle.

But yes they twist the line.

Some multis have a higher gearing ratio and are pretty fast though.
I find the smaller Abus people like too slow and too dinky for my taste but they are real distance casting reels in the right hands.

Personally though I just prefer fishing with multipliers - they feel more direct to the fish, to me, they have the ratchet for bite alerts and the drags can be easily adjusted mid fight if needs be.
For example if you’re bringing in a fish in heavy swell and a wave pulls it back, can adjust a star drag or lever drag quickly to allow the fish to go with the wave and not get ripped off the hook.

But it’s all a personal choice. I wouldn’t claim multis are ‘better’ but they better for me.

Fixed spools win hands down when using braid. Overall if I had to chose which reel to use it would be a multiplier, they just feel right. I recent years I’ve been playing around with long continental rods and fixed spools and it’s an enjoyable experience. I also use multipliers with them too and casting is so smooth and distances great with just an overhead thump. My fixed spools are shimano bullseyes and they are a different animal to the old fixed spools. Low ratio gearing which gives them cranking power, perfect line lay and rollers which take out nearly all of the line twist. Also use a decent swivel on your rigs which will help no end.

Fixed spools win hands down when using braid. Overall if I had to chose which reel to use it would be a multiplier, they just feel right. I recent years I’ve been playing around with long continental rods and fixed spools and it’s an enjoyable experience. I also use multipliers with them too and casting is so smooth and distances great with just an overhead thump. My fixed spools are shimano bullseyes and they are a different animal to the old fixed spools. Low ratio gearing which gives them cranking power, perfect line lay and rollers which take out nearly all of the line twist. Also use a decent swivel on your rigs which will help no end.
All interesting stuff. I use Shimano Stradics for my coarse fishing, and love them. Its a great pity that I came to proper multipliers relatively late in life (fairly typical of me - doh!).

I agree they do but I personally don’t like using braid for shore fishing, it’s TOO sensitive for my taste.
Which I guess is a whole other topic and in any case, doesn’t make me ‘right’, just means that’s what’s right for me.

No, with a fixed spool the bale arm rotates at 90 degrees to the rotation of the handle, so there has to be a bevel gear to change the direction of the handle input through 90*, which loses some of the power.
But with a multiplier the spool turns in the same plane/parallel with the handle via a direct gear so the effort put in to the handle is transmitted direct to the spool, which is why a multiplier can have a much shorter handle.
Also with the drag, the line turns at 90 degrees at the bale arm which is a stress point.

Last edited:
I think that one of the reasons anglers of a certain age prefer multipliers is that when they were learning to cast the quality of fixed spool reels was much lower than it is today. When I started cod fishing there were quality multipliers on the market but as far as I can remember the fixed spool alternative was something like the Intrepid Surfcast which was a usable reel but not very well engineered. Today's fixed spools are much improved with quality gears and drags and I can understand why they are now more popular especially if you fish with braid.
Me and my mate both started with fixed spools and one day he decided it would be a good idea to practice playing a big fish by tying his line to the collar of his Jack Russell and getting it to run around a bit. Before he had the chance to prepare or adjust the drag the dog set off down the back street like a bat out of hell spinning the handle of the reel backwards at very high speed. It didn't last long though and the reel exploded into a thousand pieces🤣. After that I learned to cast a multiplier and wouldn't change now.

I think that one of the reasons anglers of a certain age prefer multipliers is that when they were learning to cast the quality of fixed spool reels was much lower than it is today. When I started cod fishing there were quality multipliers on the market but as far as I can remember the fixed spool alternative was something like the Intrepid Surfcast which was a usable reel but not very well engineered. Today's fixed spools are much improved with quality gears and drags and I can understand why they are now more popular especially if you fish with braid.
Me and my mate both started with fixed spools and one day he decided it would be a good idea to practice playing a big fish by tying his line to the collar of his Jack Russell and getting it to run around a bit. Before he had the chance to prepare or adjust the drag the dog set off down the back street like a bat out of hell spinning the handle of the reel backwards at very high speed. It didn't last long though and the reel exploded into a thousand pieces🤣. After that I learned to cast a multiplier and wouldn't change now.
He should have set his drag. Back winding is a noddy tactic 🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂

Around 350lb (est) bluefin on the other end.:)
View attachment 71797
Oh they’ll take it. I wouldn’t for one moment suggest FS can’t play and land big fish, but just for me personally, I don’t particularly find them very nice to use.

I brought an Intrepid Pirate way back when & learn't to cast from the shore & used them ever since, only time I used a coffee grinder (fixed spool) was for spinning in the rivers.

I brought an Intrepid Pirate way back when & learn't to cast from the shore & used them ever since, only time I used a coffee grinder (fixed spool) was for spinning in the rivers.
I used a Sea-Streak back in the day (I procured one from ebay recently to take to bits to see what the innards looked like). They are good in the hand - nicely balanced with a decent drag, and the brake is excellent, if noisy. Inside they are built down to a price, which is a shame because the reel, when working properly was a proper workhorse.

My Intrepid Pirate is in a cupboard, oiled and runs like new in a reel bag. Must give it an outing soon to compare with my old Abu's multies and my newer multipliers.

Clearly demonstrates the other issue with a FS, the line is pulling the rings away from the blank, with a multiplier being on top of the rod the blank supports the rings.
Nonsense, that is not in the slightest an issue,rod is built for fixed spool and splined for fixed spool and double overwraps on the guides. Based on what you are suggesting every spinning rod (FS) every fly rod, trout, salmon, saltwater, every pike rod and most coarse rods will have the guides being pulled away from the blank:):):):)

Nonsense, that is not in the slightest an issue,rod is built for fixed spool and splined for fixed spool and double overwraps on the guides. Based on what you are suggesting every spinning rod (FS) every fly rod, trout, salmon, saltwater, every pike rod and most coarse rods will have the guides being pulled away from the blank:):):):)
Agree with that except I don't do the double wraps. A bloke who is no longer with us built rods for taking on bronzies from the shore and he used more guides and single legged ones at that. Shares the load and cuts out those acute angles between guides. Been wrapping single leg guides on beach rods for years with no failures but then I am not fishing for 350 lb tuna.

Agree with that except I don't do the double wraps. A bloke who is no longer with us built rods for taking on bronzies from the shore and he used more guides and single legged ones at that. Shares the load and cuts out those acute angles between guides. Been wrapping single leg guides on beach rods for years with no failures but then I am not fishing for 350 lb tuna.

Jeri ??????

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back