• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Currently eel fishing

Well, I guess the venue is no longer a secret 🤣
Still, the waiting list is a long one.
Like the number plate.
Still prefer my cod one😉

Well, I guess the venue is no longer a secret 🤣
Still, the waiting list is a long one.
Like the number plate.
Still prefer my cod one😉
Fortunately there are far fewer Eel anglers than Carp anglers so at least it won't get completely hammered

Its colours just look fresh not unlike a fresh run eel or salmon from the sea, though just a personal thing.
i take grandson on river near by and use a child's telescopic rod set £5 from cheapo shop, always use a dug worm for bait and fish for small trout, i saw an eel come out for the bait from under rock/cover and said to him just keep it there and see if we can catch it, bang into it, well as soon as lifted from river it twisted round line before i could get something to grab it, took ages to un hook it safely

Early teens used fish a drain half mile from sea using float and worm for flounders but sometimes nothing but small eels, thought of them then as pests. Have seen eels on the move on a wet night in numbers some in water others out all pretty much the same size and all a bit creepy, went back next night and not a one. Probably around 70 plus miles from sea water, course could be traced back to the Humber all fishes heading upstream and not that far from head waters in the dales.

Back on the lake last night.
Half a dozen small eels.
Experimenting with baits at the moment.
Dead baits definitely work, but are picking up all sizes. Even had a point mouth! I thought they didn't feed on fish?
Krill bolie had a tap but no bite and bloodworm bolie had nothing.
Left the runs a bit longer, higher hook up rate and no deep hooking.
Missed 6 runs though!

Back on the lake last night.
Half a dozen small eels.
Experimenting with baits at the moment.
Dead baits definitely work, but are picking up all sizes. Even had a point mouth! I thought they didn't feed on fish?
Krill bolie had a tap but no bite and bloodworm bolie had nothing.
Left the runs a bit longer, higher hook up rate and no deep hooking.
Missed 6 runs though!
Got any blacks in the freezer? They love them on the river here

Wow, was July11th the last time I went 🙄
Only 2 small eels last night, no pics
And 2 mud pigs
IMG_20240830_192426_HDR.jpgIMG_20240830_230323_HDR.jpgIMG_20240831_011521_HDR.jpg

Getting loads of takes on roach dead baits (from whole to little chunks) but couldn't hook up.
Switched to crab, bloodworm,krill boilies to see if the better eels would take them. Seems the mud pigs did 🙄

Back hunting eels last night.
Lots of bites but only 1 hook up and that was small.
No mud pigs either.
No bites on pellets or krill boilies, only on fish baits.
Chatting to a friend who is a regular on the lake, he says through the winter is better for the bigger Eels. Strange, as I always thought eel season was July to October.

IMG_20240906_185725_HDR.jpg

Back hunting eels last night.
Lots of bites but only 1 hook up and that was small.
No mud pigs either.
No bites on pellets or krill boilies, only on fish baits.
Chatting to a friend who is a regular on the lake, he says through the winter is better for the bigger Eels. Strange, as I always thought eel season was July to October.
Always used to be that way. You wouldn't see them over winter. Milder winters now maybe?

The other problem I have discovered is bait.
For reasons unknown, the syndicate members on this water don't pile in the bait, so the eels are not really switched on to high protein carp baits.
Chatting with my mate, he's one of the few who does pile in the bait and out catches the rest by a considerable margin.
Looks like I need to come up with a plan.
Pre baiting is banned, I feel some rule bending is on the cards🤣

For reasons unknown, the syndicate members on this water don't pile in the bait, so the eels are not really switched on to high protein carp baits.
Chatting with my mate, he's one of the few who does pile in the bait and out catches the rest by a considerable margin.
Pva bags.. or stringers..

The alternative could be to use a throwing stick and pre bait along island edges while you are fishing..

Basically, I've got to 'fish' for roach for half hour every evening and carpet bomb with pellets 🤣

Be interesting if possible to fish it hard in winter or set some eel traps in agreed positions using different scent attractants but guess that may not translate to later takes with hook as maybe just been curios, interesting though if obsession takes hold.🤔

Fly a drone over there and drop some bait from that when you're not fishing..

Fly a drone over there and drop some bait from that when you're not fishing..
If only.
No drone zone.
I don't fancy armed rozzers turning up 🤣

Be interesting if possible to fish it hard in winter or set some eel traps in agreed positions using different scent attractants but guess that may not translate to later takes with hook as maybe just been curios, interesting though if obsession takes hold.🤔
Obsession!
I'm trying not to let that happen!
Again!
Eel addiction is far harder to cure than cod addiction.

Obsession!
I'm trying not to let that happen!
Again!
Eel addiction is far harder to cure than cod addiction.
Like smoking better never to start but what is life without a little risk, I frequently sniff lightly soiled bait towels out of season🤠

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back