• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Currently carping

With the boys returned home, an unsuccessful trip to billing aquadrome under my belt, my leave all used up for the summer and work looming (first shift at 7pm tonight!) I thought it would be rude not to have a quick overnighter somewhere that floats my boat a bit more than the commercial/club lakes my boy enjoys. But where to go??

The river was a good bet, I’ve got a lot to learn there and every session is a valuable chance to unlock it, so the car was loaded with all the paraphernalia required, wife and child given a kiss goodbye and I was on the road…

…only I wasn’t, the fuel light had come on! Quick detour into a petrol station and soon £50 worth of esso’s finest on board, I set off again…

…only I didn’t! I remembered that I’d left my head torch on charge! So quickly nipped home, picked it up and set off again…

…only I didn’t!! I’d left my storm poles behind! So conducting the smartest about turn I’ve ever completed since marching off the parade square in the army, i whizzed back home to grab the offending poles. My wife was most unimpressed, she was getting sick of saying goodbye to me! (Postman must have been under the bed 🙄)

So finally happy that I was all kitted out, I set forth for the river…

…only I didn’t!! As I drove out of my road, I got the strongest gut feeling that I was heading in the wrong direction and that a trip to zombie sheep lake would be better. Why I suddenly thought of that, I don’t know - I hadn’t fished there since October 2022. The instinct was so strong I had to follow my nose. So a quick 180 saw me heading down the coast road towards Kent.

On arriving at the lake, there were two already on, tucked away out of the gusty wind that threatened to flatten everything in its path. The point swim was free, not one of my favourite spots, but it did look bloody good with white horses crashing into the bank. Barrow loaded and off I trotted to secure the peg. It also has the bonus of seeing every inch of the little lake.

On my way round I stopped to chat with the guys fishing, one lad had caught a lovely common that he put at 38lb!! He said it was hugely swollen and spawnbound and was nearly as wide as it was long. I congratulated him on a new PB and carried on to my chosen pitch.

It’s a 2 rod water now, which had put me off before, but now didn’t seem to matter. I went to grab my marker rod… only to find if left it in the shed! (Id taken minimal kit to billing aquadrome and had forgotten to put it all back in the hold-all!) still, a 3oz lead and a large block of hi density foam on the spare rod and a makeshift marker was engineered. I located a gulley that ran about 60yrds off and fired both rods with pva bags of boilies, crumbed boilies and 2&3mm pellets into the gulley, before putting about 1/2kg of boilies all over the area. Both rods were fished helicopter style, with leadcore leaders, 3oz leads and long 18” tungsten loaded semi stiff hooklinks to size 6 barbless claw hammer hooks fished slip D style. Rods out it was time to set up house. IMG_0932.jpegPutting up the brolly was a nightmare! The wind was so strong I looked at one point that I’d been shrink wrapped in brolly! It took all my pegs and storm poles to secure the damn thing, and I was half convinced I’d wake up in the morning to find the damn thing Essex bound, but with night drawing in, the wind dropped and I could breathe easier.

I got my head down at about 11pm and was soon up again as the left hand rod went into melt down! (Just love the note of a one toner on a neville) a spirited fight soon had the first on the bank, a nice common weighing 17lb. IMG_0850.jpegI got the rod redone and back out there and sat up reading red storm rising by Tom Clancy, good book! I nodded off about 2:30 and at 3am had another screamer! This fight was a lot slower and heavier and felt like a better fish, but as I tried to bring it up, it picked up my other line, I dropped the tip to try to guide it under the other rod when the hook fell out! Still, you can’t win them all! Rod rebagged and repositioned, I curled up for a kip.

At 7am, the left hand rod was again in action, with a strange twitchy bite that slowly developed. On striking, the fight was very strange, hardly any weight or resistance, but a lot of water being shifted. It was all over in about 30secs, I merely pumped and winded it straight to the net, where it stayed, half in and half out, the damn thing had grounded out! A quick shake and shuffle and it finally ended up on the mat. What was immediately obvious was that this was the same carp the other lad had caught the night before at 38lb! It looked like it had swallowed a beach ball! IMG_0929.jpegOne quick weigh to confirm it, then one quick pic and it was straight back in the pond. As it kicked away, I could see why the fight was so poor, it could barely swim and waddled away, awkwardly into the depths.

I decided that it was time to leave, so wrapped up and headed back to the car, but not before I found the corpse of what would have been a bloody nice perch! I think some spinning might be in order here too… IMG_0933.jpegwith that, I jumped in the car and raced the torrential rain home, happy that I’d followed my gut.

Great write up Ouchy and nice photos. Good laugh too at your numerous trips home! As Ollie said, that Carp looks like a Puffer fish! 🎣🎣👍👍

Haven't we all had a few mishaps like that, where we had to head home for something we forgot!
Once went to fish The Humber at Paull near Hull,realised I'd left rod rest at home.Popped into Hedon Angling when it was there to get bait and picked up an Ian Golds Supermatch.Whilst I was there I spotted Daiwa 7HT Mags on the shelf not long after they came on the market.He only wanted £130 each,dirt cheap compared with anywhere else but would only take cash,no cards at that price.Had to nip to the Cash Point in the village and get £260 for a pair.

I was heading out to weybourne, got as far as Lynn, ooh shit tackle box still sitting on the drive, back to tsc new Roman bank. Set's off again still in village pulls over!? Did I put flask and sarnies in box better check hell noo! Back home again. Right better do quick check make sure got everything,in my haste didn't notice no rod holdall. Gets to tackle shop pick up bait i ordered puts it in car
Ooh hell no rod's there's the tripod and brolly look in the box got reels back in the shop for some rod's!!!
Double check everything after that.

Should have been out on my boat today, fishing buddy cried off it's too dark at 5am!! So went local again today, lost 5 either spat the hook or snagged me! Did manage to net one though. Pulled scales round to 27:8. So worth getting out of bed. Pics IMG_20240830_143432_980.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240830_161837_852.jpg
    IMG_20240830_161837_852.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240830_122413_696.jpg
    IMG_20240830_122413_696.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 7
With the boys returned home, an unsuccessful trip to billing aquadrome under my belt, my leave all used up for the summer and work looming (first shift at 7pm tonight!) I thought it would be rude not to have a quick overnighter somewhere that floats my boat a bit more than the commercial/club lakes my boy enjoys. But where to go??

The river was a good bet, I’ve got a lot to learn there and every session is a valuable chance to unlock it, so the car was loaded with all the paraphernalia required, wife and child given a kiss goodbye and I was on the road…

…only I wasn’t, the fuel light had come on! Quick detour into a petrol station and soon £50 worth of esso’s finest on board, I set off again…

…only I didn’t! I remembered that I’d left my head torch on charge! So quickly nipped home, picked it up and set off again…

…only I didn’t!! I’d left my storm poles behind! So conducting the smartest about turn I’ve ever completed since marching off the parade square in the army, i whizzed back home to grab the offending poles. My wife was most unimpressed, she was getting sick of saying goodbye to me! (Postman must have been under the bed 🙄)

So finally happy that I was all kitted out, I set forth for the river…

…only I didn’t!! As I drove out of my road, I got the strongest gut feeling that I was heading in the wrong direction and that a trip to zombie sheep lake would be better. Why I suddenly thought of that, I don’t know - I hadn’t fished there since October 2022. The instinct was so strong I had to follow my nose. So a quick 180 saw me heading down the coast road towards Kent.

On arriving at the lake, there were two already on, tucked away out of the gusty wind that threatened to flatten everything in its path. The point swim was free, not one of my favourite spots, but it did look bloody good with white horses crashing into the bank. Barrow loaded and off I trotted to secure the peg. It also has the bonus of seeing every inch of the little lake.

On my way round I stopped to chat with the guys fishing, one lad had caught a lovely common that he put at 38lb!! He said it was hugely swollen and spawnbound and was nearly as wide as it was long. I congratulated him on a new PB and carried on to my chosen pitch.

It’s a 2 rod water now, which had put me off before, but now didn’t seem to matter. I went to grab my marker rod… only to find if left it in the shed! (Id taken minimal kit to billing aquadrome and had forgotten to put it all back in the hold-all!) still, a 3oz lead and a large block of hi density foam on the spare rod and a makeshift marker was engineered. I located a gulley that ran about 60yrds off and fired both rods with pva bags of boilies, crumbed boilies and 2&3mm pellets into the gulley, before putting about 1/2kg of boilies all over the area. Both rods were fished helicopter style, with leadcore leaders, 3oz leads and long 18” tungsten loaded semi stiff hooklinks to size 6 barbless claw hammer hooks fished slip D style. Rods out it was time to set up house. View attachment 69574Putting up the brolly was a nightmare! The wind was so strong I looked at one point that I’d been shrink wrapped in brolly! It took all my pegs and storm poles to secure the damn thing, and I was half convinced I’d wake up in the morning to find the damn thing Essex bound, but with night drawing in, the wind dropped and I could breathe easier.

I got my head down at about 11pm and was soon up again as the left hand rod went into melt down! (Just love the note of a one toner on a neville) a spirited fight soon had the first on the bank, a nice common weighing 17lb. View attachment 69575I got the rod redone and back out there and sat up reading red storm rising by Tom Clancy, good book! I nodded off about 2:30 and at 3am had another screamer! This fight was a lot slower and heavier and felt like a better fish, but as I tried to bring it up, it picked up my other line, I dropped the tip to try to guide it under the other rod when the hook fell out! Still, you can’t win them all! Rod rebagged and repositioned, I curled up for a kip.

At 7am, the left hand rod was again in action, with a strange twitchy bite that slowly developed. On striking, the fight was very strange, hardly any weight or resistance, but a lot of water being shifted. It was all over in about 30secs, I merely pumped and winded it straight to the net, where it stayed, half in and half out, the damn thing had grounded out! A quick shake and shuffle and it finally ended up on the mat. What was immediately obvious was that this was the same carp the other lad had caught the night before at 38lb! It looked like it had swallowed a beach ball! View attachment 69578One quick weigh to confirm it, then one quick pic and it was straight back in the pond. As it kicked away, I could see why the fight was so poor, it could barely swim and waddled away, awkwardly into the depths.

I decided that it was time to leave, so wrapped up and headed back to the car, but not before I found the corpse of what would have been a bloody nice perch! I think some spinning might be in order here too… View attachment 69579with that, I jumped in the car and raced the torrential rain home, happy that I’d followed my gut.
Its Spawn bound, it needs help to remove the spawn otherwise it will die 🙁

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back