• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Crimp pliers

Telephone wire is/was a very soft plastic coated wire that was used in analogue telephone systems and worked well as an adjustable stop.

I’ve not seen it for a long time though. Wouldn’t know where to get it now
I've got a half full spool of it somewhere, GPO man left it behind over 40 years ago, 20+ strands there's many lifetimes worth, but it is good for sliding stops.

As for crimping pliers, whatever does the job, these are 30+ years old

Attachments

• P9110003.JPG
    P9110003.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 2
I've buggered about with power gum stop knots and every conceivable type of crimp including the Breakaway adjusta but have come back full circle to the excellent telephone wire twists. They really are unbeatable
yep telephone wire here as well. No need for anything else. The only time I opt for a sleeve crimp is the stop bead with an impact shield which I don't use anymore anyway

It does grip, but if you are a bit worried about them sliding you could always add a drop of superglue to the mono before sliding the wire into position .

I have also gone the full circle, now use telephone wire again after about 30 plus years .

If you cannot find telephone wire the thin green wire that Garden centres sell for holding up plants etc works well.

Dave

Not often I need to use stop knots, but a short bit of Neoprene tube with the line passed through twice works OK.
I also sometimes use the Breakaway sliding crimps which came with their own crimp tool. Never use ordinary Crimps.

Next time someone rigging with telephone wire would appreciate pic of how it's done.. I dont see how it doesn't slide too easily??
Just had a search for a video on using it, but drew a blank.

There is obviously some confusion on here.
Telephone wire is used to replace a single crimp to make a stop on the line, either sliding or fixed depending how tight you wind it,
it is NOT to replace a double crimp when attaching a hook or swivel. :rolleyes:

Telephone wire is used to replace a single crimp to make a stop on the line, either sliding or fixed depending how tight you wind it,
Am confused! Where is the confusion ? I don't see it ? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Who's confused?

Well I got the impression that at least Busanga was if you need to ask how twisting wire works, or search for pics/video

Well I got the impression that at least Busanga was if you need to ask how twisting wire works, or search for pics/video
Nope I am not confused ABOUT its use I was confused how twisting a piece of wire round a line of mono would stay put and not slide down too easily. But I guess the Friction of the telephone wire on the mono is enough for purpose. Because with other stopper systems i know, it is either crimped or (like a nail knot) tied down tight into the mono. Twisting a piece of electrical wire round the mono just seemed odd to me as I have never seen ot done.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back