• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Boat fishing cornwall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 18ft Plymouth pilot and moor it in Porthleven.

I fully recommend seeing if there is somene who has experience with their own boat who you can go out with. See how they work.

I work a few pots and get out, weather permitting nearly every day - even for an hour or 2.

I started with a small cove boat which i worked with a friend, who had boat experience.

I then bought a 16ft planing hull with outboard and used that for 2/3 seasons and then I bought my pilot.
Excellent boats, the Plymouth Pilots! My mate had a 16ft one for years with an old 5hp Brit inboard. Slow but very seaworthy.

@Nickcook77 - Thanks kindly for thoughts. Mine is a light-weight 14.5' planing hull.
I do need to get my act together re a decent/appropriate-weight anchor though. AND, I'm also looking at greater HP out-board drives to make boat more capable (safer) wrt any stronger estuary/near-shore tide flows. As regards tubs, I might just drill some holes in one or two of my numerous (gardening) plastic tubs! :)

Last edited:
Falmouth is a good area to fish from small boats with options up rivers when weather isn’t playing ball. As already said, get all the safety gear and get trained in how to stay safe on the water. You’ll enjoy everything lots more when you’re knowledgeable and confident in your boat handling skills. Have fun and stay safe.

Welcome to the Madhouse Talkseasy.

Do the course Ollie linked before you do anything else. If/When you do get a boat, I know a lot of folk launch their boats from Mylor, just north of Falmouth. That gives you the option of fishing for Bream and other species in the estuary, or heading further out.

Unless you are intending to live in Cornwall, I wouldn't advise bothering with pots - lots have been stolen or cut adrift in the last couple of years.
Mylor is a good slipway but quite busy. I’ve dropped a single pot during my visits over the years and not had any problems. Be discreet don’t pot near commercial pots and you’ll be okay.

Falmouth is a good area to fish from small boats with options up rivers when weather isn’t playing ball.
And there is the Pandora Inn at Restronguet with pier - or can run onto the "beach" at low tide if boat light enough to man-handle back out - mine is light enough :) (The Pandora is the farthest down-river on the Fal I've been to date in my own boat !!)

Last edited:
The Pandora Inn is nice, there are Bass in that deep hole as you enter the creek but mind the tides it can be a bit quick just there. Maybe head over to St Mawes if the weather is kind. Good pasty shop near the harbour. :)

I have an 18ft Plymouth pilot and moor it in Porthleven.

I fully recommend seeing if there is somene who has experience with their own boat who you can go out with. See how they work.

I work a few pots and get out, weather permitting nearly every day - even for an hour or 2.

I started with a small cove boat which i worked with a friend, who had boat experience.

I then bought a 16ft planing hull with outboard and used that for 2/3 seasons and then I bought my pilot.
Nice solid boats the Plymouth Pilots. Porthleven was getting a right battering last time I was there (on foot).

Hope this helps and there will be local boatman who can advise on local factors.

Anchoring- key points:
1. Have the right TYPE of Anchor that serves your area of sea bed. I use a Bruce as it is the best for the area I fish. I carry a spare folding grapnel anchor
2. Right size anchor for the boat. I have a 20ft Orkney Pilot House . I use a 5kg anchor which is the minimum (could use a 7.5 kg) but use extra long chain.

3. Length of chain to Anchor - must be at least the length of the boat but I have 30ft of 8mm to 5kg Bruce instead of a heavier 7.5kg.

4. Anchor rope - min 12mm. Depending on conditions of wind & tide plus type of sea bed. I allow a 4 x depth of water. Anchoring in 40ft requires 200ft. Sometimes les or more is needed.

5. Anchors get stuck - especially in the area where I fish where there is loads of debris on the sea floor plus natural rocks etc Much from D DAY!
if you are on rough ground put a "TRIP" on it. Recovery of a stuck anchor in bad conditions is fraught with danger.

6. Anchor drop & retrieval is also dangerous depending on your set up. Anchor going over the side with the anchor rope around a leg - may not be a happy ending.

Recommend you read this by Neville Merritt - he is fishes my patch but is really experienced and he gives some good tips in this book he wrote - free download. p.70 onwards covers anchoring but the whole thing has lots of advice from an experienced small boat man https://www.boat-angling.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Angling-Boats.pdf

judging by the questions, some of the responses and lack of knowledge / experience, you can buy a lot of charter trips for the money you are going to spend on a boat

never know, might even get home to your loved ones at the end of the day that way :)

I joined th
judging by the questions, some of the responses and lack of knowledge / experience, you can buy a lot of charter trips for the money you are going to spend on a boat

never know, might even get home to your loved ones at the end of the day that way :)
i joined this f

i joined this forem to pick up some tips and advice, now its

we are not all experts , i joined this forum to pick up some tips and advice which so far thanks to one or two obliging chaps on here the advice is being taken , courses , anchors , books to read etc. If i wanted a charter trip i wouldn't be here. 👍

WWWX525charterboatfishingtrips !!!

Welcome to the Madhouse Talkseasy.

Do the course Ollie linked before you do anything else. If/When you do get a boat, I know a lot of folk launch their boats from Mylor, just north of Falmouth. That gives you the option of fishing for Bream and other species in the estuary, or heading further out.

Unless you are intending to live in Cornwall, I wouldn't advise bothering with pots - lots have been stolen or cut adrift in the last couple of years.

Hello thanks for the advice re pots , we are now looking at moving to the cumbrian coast as the sea fishing is good up there snd its not too far from lancashire where i am from. Also i have read up that the lobster fishing is good around st bees area and along that region. Can you give me any advice on lobster fishing. What type of netted bag do you put the bait in ? What is best baits , how far out at sea do you drop the pots and how far apart would be useful info thanks

Hello thanks for the advice re pots , we are now looking at moving to the cumbrian coast as the sea fishing is good up there snd its not too far from lancashire where i am from. Also i have read up that the lobster fishing is good around st bees area and along that region. Can you give me any advice on lobster fishing. What type of netted bag do you put the bait in ? What is best baits , how far out at sea do you drop the pots and how far apart would be useful info thanks
I can't offer any advice - no boat here and so no Pots either.
I can only relate what I have heard locally, and that is there a some locals in the South West who do put Pots out, commercial or RSA's, and some Pots put out by people new to the area seem to vanish. Youtube is a good source of info, wherever you end up fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back