• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Boat fishing cornwall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Courses - depends on how far out you plan to go & type of fishing etc BUT I do recommend you do PB1 or even PB3 depending on the first factors. Radio procedures etc can save lives / help with rescues. I have the Advanced PB ( Yacht master equivalent) but that is more than you need for inshore stuff. Also read up on Anchoring, Anchors etc as this is an area where grief can arrive quickly!

Cannot advise on fishing marks etc in Cornwall. Good luck & welcome to the forum.
Thanks coxy
Courses - depends on how far out you plan to go & type of fishing etc BUT I do recommend you do PB1 or even PB3 depending on the first factors. Radio procedures etc can save lives / help with rescues. I have the Advanced PB ( Yacht master equivalent) but that is more than you need for inshore stuff. Also read up on Anchoring, Anchors etc as this is an area where grief can arrive quickly!

Cannot advise on fishing marks etc in Cornwall. Good luck & welcome to the forum.
thanks mate your advice is appreciated. I do a lot of spinning for salmon in sweden where you have to wade into fast flowing water. But as i’m getting older sea fishing by boat is starting to appeal to me. I quite like the idea of putting a few lobster pots out and doing a bit of fishing whilst i’m at it. I dont plan to ho far out 2-3 hundred yards max as i’m wary of the sea i know its power. I will read up on anchoring, i’m now starting to think about the cumbria coast as i’m from not far from there lancashire although i have lived in nottingham for 24 years. I need to keep fishing in my retirement so its cornwall or cumbria. I know the Cornish coast can be volatile and i dont want to come a cropper i will book a pb1 coarse. Can you tell me the dangers of anchoring please regards

Hope this helps and there will be local boatman who can advise on local factors.

Anchoring- key points:
1. Have the right TYPE of Anchor that serves your area of sea bed. I use a Bruce as it is the best for the area I fish. I carry a spare folding grapnel anchor
2. Right size anchor for the boat. I have a 20ft Orkney Pilot House . I use a 5kg anchor which is the minimum (could use a 7.5 kg) but use extra long chain.

3. Length of chain to Anchor - must be at least the length of the boat but I have 30ft of 8mm to 5kg Bruce instead of a heavier 7.5kg.

4. Anchor rope - min 12mm. Depending on conditions of wind & tide plus type of sea bed. I allow a 4 x depth of water. Anchoring in 40ft requires 200ft. Sometimes les or more is needed.

5. Anchors get stuck - especially in the area where I fish where there is loads of debris on the sea floor plus natural rocks etc Much from D DAY!
if you are on rough ground put a "TRIP" on it. Recovery of a stuck anchor in bad conditions is fraught with danger.

6. Anchor drop & retrieval is also dangerous depending on your set up. Anchor going over the side with the anchor rope around a leg - may not be a happy ending.

Recommend you read this by Neville Merritt - he is fishes my patch but is really experienced and he gives some good tips in this book he wrote - free download. p.70 onwards covers anchoring but the whole thing has lots of advice from an experienced small boat man https://www.boat-angling.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Angling-Boats.pdf

Hope this helps and there will be local boatman who can advise on local factors.

Anchoring- key points:
1. Have the right TYPE of Anchor that serves your area of sea bed. I use a Bruce as it is the best for the area I fish. I carry a spare folding grapnel anchor
2. Right size anchor for the boat. I have a 20ft Orkney Pilot House . I use a 5kg anchor which is the minimum (could use a 7.5 kg) but use extra long chain.

3. Length of chain to Anchor - must be at least the length of the boat but I have 30ft of 8mm to 5kg Bruce instead of a heavier 7.5kg.

4. Anchor rope - min 12mm. Depending on conditions of wind & tide plus type of sea bed. I allow a 4 x depth of water. Anchoring in 40ft requires 200ft. Sometimes les or more is needed.

5. Anchors get stuck - especially in the area where I fish where there is loads of debris on the sea floor plus natural rocks etc Much from D DAY!
if you are on rough ground put a "TRIP" on it. Recovery of a stuck anchor in bad conditions is fraught with danger.

6. Anchor drop & retrieval is also dangerous depending on your set up. Anchor going over the side with the anchor rope around a leg - may not be a happy ending.

Recommend you read this by Neville Merritt - he is fishes my patch but is really experienced and he gives some good tips in this book he wrote - free download. p.70 onwards covers anchoring but the whole thing has lots of advice from an experienced small boat man https://www.boat-angling.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Angling-Boats.pdf
Great advice & I'm embarrassed to say I don't have any sort of anchor for my 14 footer: I will sort, prompted by your post Coxy !

Be sure to use an Anchor 'trip' system if the type of anchor you buy warrants it. Graeme from TA fishing explains it here:

Great advice & I'm embarrassed to say I don't have any sort of anchor for my 14 footer: I will sort, prompted by your post Coxy !
Pleasure. Glad someone is asking rather than learning the hard way. You need an anchor for safety in case of engine failure or the like & you need to anchor to stop being taken away by wind & tide to somewhere you do not want to be.

What a lot of people don’t consider is if you have an issue ie fouled prop, engine won’t start etc, you can drop the anchor and then you’ve given yourself time to sort it, rather than drifting towards rocks or other hazards.

It may not even be a big issue but a lot easier to focus if you’ve got the time and space to do so. Or if needs be hail another vessel for assistance or call the coastguard.

On the subject of anchors; prompted by @Coxy, I have done some searching: I can find anchor weight recommends by boat length, so I should only need a quite light anchor for my 14.5' open boat, but is total boat mass also a factor ? (Absolute max' boat mass inc' passengers at any time would be, I calculate ~440kg.)
Also, because boat hull is made of polypropylene I don't really want anchors with exposed pointy-bits and I therefore quite like the folding anchor as per attached image. Any experience of using similar folding-anchors anyone ?
Or any other anchor thoughts please ?

Attachments

• anchor-folding-new-image-2962.jpg
    anchor-folding-new-image-2962.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Do not use. But keep anchor in a bag / bongo. Bruces do not have sharp edges.
Oh OK, but, may I ask, why is a folder (as pictured) such a bad choice for a small boat ?

On the subject of anchors; prompted by @Coxy, I have done some searching: I can find anchor weight recommends by boat length, so I should only need a quite light anchor for my 14.5' open boat, but is total boat mass also a factor ? (Absolute max' boat mass inc' passengers at any time would be, I calculate ~440kg.)
Also, because boat hull is made of polypropylene I don't really want anchors with exposed pointy-bits and I therefore quite like the folding anchor as per attached image. Any experience of using similar folding-anchors anyone ?
Or any other anchor thoughts please ?
I've a RIB and use a flexi tub/trug/gorilla bucket to store anchors, chains and warp

Anchoring- key points:

Thanks mate even at 61 theres still plenty to learn. Thanks for your sound advice. And the link 👍

judging by the questions, some of the responses and lack of knowledge / experience, you can buy a lot of charter trips for the money you are going to spend on a boat

never know, might even get home to your loved ones at the end of the day that way :)

judging by the questions, some of the responses and lack of knowledge / experience, you can buy a lot of charter trips for the money you are going to spend on a boat

never know, might even get home to your loved ones at the end of the day that way :)
Not everyone wants to do “charter” type fishing. (Boring !) Some folk prefer to be able to potter about on their own when they wish and where they wish exploring the nooks and crannies of an estuary or a bit of coastline afloat (with or without a fishing rod hanging over the side). BUT training is the key to minimising the risks. I personally have RYA qual’s for dinghy, L2 power boat and Day Skipper theory: hence my embarrassment at not actually having got around to procuring an anchor for my boat (despite only using for upper river explorations to date). Folk who want to go kayaking or sailing or power-boating etc anywhere really should get some training first (and then an anchor) – “water” can be very unforgiving.

Last edited:

Freedom to pick & chose pale, time , target and company is worth the costs as long as you use the boat! Too many have their boat moored up to use on a few time a year. Whilst I still go on my old charter boat with my Club, I will only return once I am no longer able to do that.

Only use a folding anchor in a emergency, do not rely on it as a main anchor.
Thanks - I might, though, pick one up if cheap enough and add to what Coxy calls a "Bruce" or similar. I'm revising on anchor types for the areas I might be fishing.

Last edited:
I have an 18ft Plymouth pilot and moor it in Porthleven.

I fully recommend seeing if there is somene who has experience with their own boat who you can go out with. See how they work.

I work a few pots and get out, weather permitting nearly every day - even for an hour or 2.

I started with a small cove boat which i worked with a friend, who had boat experience.

I then bought a 16ft planing hull with outboard and used that for 2/3 seasons and then I bought my pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back