• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Best line to line knots with thick mono' ?

As a rule of thumb, shock leaders are normally 10lb for each ounce of lead + 10lb. As for rigs, when I started fishing over 50 years ago, a running ledger was all we used. Far too many fandangled rigs about these days, just keep it simple. I use two rigs all the time, 2 hooked clipped flapper and up n overs, jobs a gooden. I buy all my rigs from Kevonthefish on here, cant be arsed to tie them these days.

Ian.
Most of mine are either clipped flappers or pulleys, but not saying that’s right or wrong, it’s simply what works for me. I do make up n overs too.

The point being we all have our preferred ways and still catch fish.

I find I have some blue 0.9mm (60lb) and clear 0.57mm (40lb) monofilament line bought for a deer-fencing set-up (!! - they can't see it so it spooks 'em away when they touch it). I've looked up and have some knot recommends for knotting thicker mono onto swivels etc, but I'm not so sure about joining to other line (e.g. as backing line or for any spooled main line leader).

Any thoughts/recommends please ?

As a boat angler and at the weekend I was tying 250lb mono to 80lb mono, then try the 3 turn surgeons knot, the bimini twist, or the albright. All will work OK

As @stan m correctly say's, if anything, reduce the drag on a running fish, stuff like Tuna will eventually feel the drag getting tighter they more they run, so the bast'ids do a quick 180 and start swimming toward you, so never put a twin speed reel into low gear on a running fish !

As a boat angler and at the weekend I was tying 250lb mono to 80lb mono, then try the 3 turn surgeons knot, the bimini twist, or the albright. All will work OK

As @stan m correctly say's, if anything, reduce the drag on a running fish, stuff like Tuna will eventually feel the drag getting tighter they more they run, so the bast'ids do a quick 180 and start swimming toward you, so never put a twin speed reel into low gear on a running fish !
That puts my posted concerns over my "heavier" line-to-line connection knots into perspective !! :D
Your fav' knots noted - thanks @GPSguru.
Reinforcement of stan m's advice re drag also appreciated.

Last edited:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back