• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Best line to line knots with thick mono' ?

Am I missing something here?.
Are we talking about deer fencing??.
Just put any old joint in, swivel, key ring in fact any old shite.
If its fishing then tell us exactly the set up your using.
Reel type, target, rod etc mono brand it all makes a difference.
If its big fish using big gear then the answer will always be a bimini twist.

Am I missing something here?.
Are we talking about deer fencing??.
Just put any old joint in, swivel, key ring in fact any old shite.
If its fishing then tell us exactly the set up your using.
Reel type, target, rod etc mono brand it all makes a difference.
If its big fish using big gear then the answer will always be a bimini twist.
I don't think it is you missing something

May I get some things straight here folk, addressing various members' posts above, if you have the time for a longish post, .

I have been “getting on with it” actually: trying/testing my rods with different set-ups (weights, rigs, lures, line etc - but not tried floats yet) looking for combos that feel good to me and practising casting techniques particularly with long/heavy beach set-ups. Haven’t caught anything on a couple of what I did consider real fishing outings, but I was aware tide states and water conditions were not what might be considered ideal so not too disappointed. So less of the “ffs get on with it” type messages please.

My gear has largely been bought based on my own decisions (leaving aside the poor initial choice of reel thanks to the poor advice I received in-store !!) and mainly by reading and via the web and NOT by asking forum questions, although other types of various forum resources have proved extremely useful.

So when I ask a question, you can be sure I’ve already looked into it, but maybe left with some doubts that a direct question to experienced anglers will likely clarify/solve. Forum friends have come up with some really useful warmly offered advice so far.

And let’s reconsider this thread’s subject: having come across my remnants of thick monofilament, I was reminded of some advice somewhere that heavier line might require some more considered knot choices. As I said from the outset, I then found good suggestions for tying heavy line to rig components, but line to line connections were proving elusive. And hence my question (to which I have received some great replies).

And am I over-thinking things that concern the integrity of my rigs ? When I’m casting, say, a 7oz lead I want to know that it isn’t about to go its own merry way (possibly with risk to other beach users) due to a bad knot - or when, say, a rig is snagged I want to be confident that my knots will last as long as they are maximally capable when I apply the full force of my rod - or when, say, a fish has run to my backing line I want to be confident that the main line/thick-backing knot will hold under strain! (In passing: there were reasons fishing line 'crimps' were developed for thicker line – one being that knotting can stress thicker line thereby reducing its strength.)

Anyway; I hope that straightens a few things out as regards my seeking any advice on TSF. And, as I’ve said before, you can always ignore me and save yourself some time - no need to make any sort of (under-thought/derisory) comment what-so-ever - just ignore and move on to a more interesting thread/post.

And I’m just not a clubby sort of person unfortunately.

Whatever; thanks for some great advice I've received so far, but disappointed at the unhelpful posts/comments that I have had to also experience.

Last edited:
You do realise that you can plan it all to the Nth degree and something will come along on the fishing day and screw it. Just go fishing, nothing you are trying to do is gonna work as life is not like that.

You do realise that you can plan it all to the Nth degree and something will come along on the fishing day and screw it. Just go fishing, nothing you are trying to do is gonna work as life is not like that.
What is it @stan m, please, that I am trying to do that is not gonna work ?

Look at the numbers in the pic.. There are coresponding grooves on the inside of the spool, i.e. three grooves you can see. When reel is full of line and drag is set to whatever you choose, assume 10lb of drag. As line goes out the line diasmeter reduces and without touching the drag when line dia reaches approx. half the drag will have automatically increased to 15lb. Keep line going out until the spool is almost empty and that drag with the lever untouched will have increased to 30lb.

Decrease drag against a fast running fish

View attachment 66981
I think it might have been said by somebody somewhere already, but a picture is worth a thousand words (y) Do you actually own that reel out of passing interest or was it just a useful image you searched out for our edification/education ?

Last edited:
I will, thanks Ian - just thought a forum member (maybe a boat fisher) might put their finger on the best solution/s to save me endless searches.
To tie as a shock leader, use the shockleader knot & pull tight with plenty of spit to lube it, I use pliers to hold the shockleader tag.
Hooks & swivels 4 turn blood knot, or Grinner (Uni) knot,
line to line - surgeons knot or double blood knot.
If you don't know the knot google how to tie it

To tie as a shock leader, use the shockleader knot & pull tight with plenty of spit to lube it, I use pliers to hold the shockleader tag.
Hooks & swivels 4 turn blood knot, or Grinner (Uni) knot,
line to line - surgeons knot or double blood knot.
If you don't know the knot google how to tie it
I can't remember all the knot names yet @Angrybear so I'm off to double-check your suggestions - many thanks.

I think it might have been said by somebody somewhere already, but a picture is worth a thousand words (y) Do you actually own that reel out of passing interest or was it just a useful image you searched out for our edification/education ?

At the time I owned it, then sold it on. Possibly somebody else should answer this as you are well out of the loop

May I get some things straight here folk, addressing various members' posts above, if you have the time for a longish post, .

I have been “getting on with it” actually: trying/testing my rods with different set-ups (weights, rigs, lures, line etc - but not tried floats yet) looking for combos that feel good to me and practising casting techniques particularly with long/heavy beach set-ups. Haven’t caught anything on a couple of what I did consider real fishing outings, but I was aware tide states and water conditions were not what might be considered ideal so not too disappointed. So less of the “ffs get on with it” type messages please.

My gear has largely been bought based on my own decisions (leaving aside the poor initial choice of reel thanks to the poor advice I received in-store !!) and mainly by reading and via the web and NOT by asking forum questions, although other types of various forum resources have proved extremely useful.

So when I ask a question, you can be sure I’ve already looked into it, but maybe left with some doubts that a direct question to experienced anglers will likely clarify/solve. Forum friends have come up with some really useful warmly offered advice so far.

And let’s reconsider this thread’s subject: having come across my remnants of thick monofilament, I was reminded of some advice somewhere that heavier line might require some more considered knot choices. As I said from the outset, I then found good suggestions for tying heavy line to rig components, but line to line connections were proving elusive. And hence my question (to which I have received some great replies).

And am I over-thinking things that concern the integrity of my rigs ? When I’m casting, say, a 7oz lead I want to know that it isn’t about to go its own merry way (possibly with risk to other beach users) due to a bad knot - or when, say, a rig is snagged I want to be confident that my knots will last as long as they are maximally capable when I apply the full force of my rod - or when, say, a fish has run to my backing line I want to be confident that the main line/thick-backing knot will hold under strain! (In passing: there were reasons fishing line 'crimps' were developed for thicker line – one being that knotting can stress thicker line thereby reducing its strength.)

Anyway; I hope that straightens a few things out as regards my seeking any advice on TSF. And, as I’ve said before, you can always ignore me and save yourself some time - no need to make any sort of (under-thought/derisory) comment what-so-ever - just ignore and move on to a more interesting thread/post.

Whatever; thanks for some great advice I've received so far, but disappointed at the unhelpful posts/comments that I have had to also experience.
Okay fair enough but what set up, rod n reel are you considering using 40lb mono main line on?

Okay fair enough but what set up, rod n reel are you considering using 40lb mono main line on?
I can't see myself ever needing/using anything much over say 20lb for main line, but my Akios Utopia reel, for example, can take up to 455m of 0.32mm line so I now envisage re-spooling with some backing line on that one at least. Otherwise thinking will be OK for shock leaders. I also note that some of the ots rigs I've bought use thicker line for the rig's own so-called "main line" so another use perhaps for DIY rigs in due course.

Last edited:
That's fine @Topwater and cheerio in return. Thank you for your replies with very useful expert advice over the past few months, but cheerio to your barbed remarks (pun intended). Goodbye, but take care.

Last edited:

If you are casting 7oz weights you need 70lb shock leader and the main rig body needs to be 70lb too.
As for knots I am with Mr Fish, grinner but mostly tucked half blood knot.
As I use braid mainline and braid leader I use mostly an improved albright knot and infrequently the FG knot to connect both.

Always happy to answer questions so hope this hasn’t put you off the forum, but it is possible to overanalyse things imo.

Some anglers really do love the technical side of things and nothing wrong with that.
For me personally, if I can’t make a rig with beads, swivels, hooks and the odd clip, I don’t use it, but we’re all different.
I find rig making a total chore and usually do just enough to get me fishing, I’ll worry about more after that.

But if you don’t know, you don’t know, so there’s no such thing as the wrong question.

But as Stan said and as I’ve said previously, you can plan everything and things still crop up on the day that you hadn’t anticipated.
It happens to experienced anglers and even more so when you’re starting out.

Generally speaking fishing is only as complicated as you want to make it.
I’m more interested in tides, conditions and bait rather than rigs, line and knots.

That’s not a pop, as I say, some love the technical and planning side and that’s fine, but ultimately it all boils down to being on the beach or rocks and fishing and (hopefully) actually catching fish.

I’ve spent a lot of time in the past in my shed typing up rigs and trying knots and new components, then I lose all the fancy stuff in the first couple of hours out and catch a decent fish on the crappy rig that’s been in the wallet for two years 😂
Most likely because I was in the right place at the right time and using the right bait, not because of the rigs or knots or line or reel I was using.

There’s no real point to all the above but it’s just things to think on. You’ll find your own way and what works best for you in due course.

If you are casting 7oz weights you need 70lb shock leader and the main rig body needs to be 70lb too.
As for knots I am with Mr Fish, grinner but mostly tucked half blood knot.
As I use braid mainline and braid leader I use mostly an improved albright knot and infrequently the FG knot to connect both.
Thanks kindly @Thrasher. Useful reference! Right now I'm actually only casting max' 5oz (lead weight) on either of my 2 new "beach" & "surf" rods with 20lb main & a tapered shock-leader rated to 70lb. One related rig is a Cox&Rawle 2-hook clip-down rig with the rig's "main line" rated to 80lb. Seems I'm getting things about right already (!), but, as you have recognised, I'm reviewing my knots to establish my appropriate/reliable go-to's. Many thanks for your knotty recommends.

Last edited:
Always happy to answer questions so hope this hasn’t put you off the forum, but it is possible to overanalyse things imo.

Some anglers really do love the technical side of things and nothing wrong with that.
For me personally, if I can’t make a rig with beads, swivels, hooks and the odd clip, I don’t use it, but we’re all different.
I find rig making a total chore and usually do just enough to get me fishing, I’ll worry about more after that.

But if you don’t know, you don’t know, so there’s no such thing as the wrong question.

But as Stan said and as I’ve said previously, you can plan everything and things still crop up on the day that you hadn’t anticipated.
It happens to experienced anglers and even more so when you’re starting out.

Generally speaking fishing is only as complicated as you want to make it.
I’m more interested in tides, conditions and bait rather than rigs, line and knots.

That’s not a pop, as I say, some love the technical and planning side and that’s fine, but ultimately it all boils down to being on the beach or rocks and fishing and (hopefully) actually catching fish.

I’ve spent a lot of time in the past in my shed typing up rigs and trying knots and new components, then I lose all the fancy stuff in the first couple of hours out and catch a decent fish on the crappy rig that’s been in the wallet for two years 😂
Most likely because I was in the right place at the right time and using the right bait, not because of the rigs or knots or line or reel I was using.

There’s no real point to all the above but it’s just things to think on. You’ll find your own way and what works best for you in due course.
Your thoughts above are appreciated (and taken on board) @Mr Fish :)

As a rule of thumb, shock leaders are normally 10lb for each ounce of lead + 10lb. As for rigs, when I started fishing over 50 years ago, a running ledger was all we used. Far too many fandangled rigs about these days, just keep it simple. I use two rigs all the time, 2 hooked clipped flapper and up n overs, jobs a gooden. I buy all my rigs from Kevonthefish on here, cant be arsed to tie them these days.

Ian.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back