• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Abu Garcia 6500 C3 CT Mag set up

Got a few of them myself and I love them on west Chesil I’ve got mine magged and they cast like a dream. Some moan about the retrieve speed but as a fishing reel they are still up there for me. I know I can’t hit them hard and the line just peels off right in the edge but I know them so well you can hear when it’s about to bite you. The only thing I found is really low diameter line can be a problem at times .28 is the lowest I tend to use.
Had the Chrome Rockets some years ago, superb casting reels. You say your Greens are Magged, I take it you mean mono magged, as the reels are slidey magged already ?

Ian.

One of the three Green Mag Elite's side plates looked to be in poor condition, but managed to source a set of "as new" side plates for it if needed. (y)

Ian.

Abu 5.jpgAbu 4.jpgAbu 3.jpgAbu 2.jpg

Last edited:
Apologies for hijacking your thread Casker. ;)

Ian.

One of the three Green Mag Elite's side plates looked to be in poor condition, but managed to source a set of "as new" side plates for it if needed.
My 2 are in better condition than those Ian.You should have mentioned it.Could have been tempted to part with them.Also have the Florida Orange version.(y)
1720127544896.png

Last edited:
Had the Chrome Rockets some years ago, superb casting reels. You say your Greens are Magged, I take it you mean mono magged, as the reels are slidey magged already ?

Ian.
IMG_5054.jpeg
Yep they have been mono magged by Russ at blackdog even before that with no blocks or a single small if a headwind and mags on 4 they still cast like a dream. Not fashionable now with all the high speed models and I’ve got a pair of fathoms with paddle handles that run well I still can’t help using my 65’s.

View attachment 66529
Yep they have been mono magged by Russ at blackdog even before that with no blocks or a single small if a headwind and mags on 4 they still cast like a dream. Not fashionable now with all the high speed models and I’ve got a pair of fathoms with paddle handles that run well I still can’t help using my 65’s.
Very nice. There is just something nostalgic about the older Abu Ambassadeur 6500 series reels.

Ian.

My 2 are in better condition than those Ian.You should have mentioned it.Could have been tempted to part with them.Also have the Florida Orange version.(y)
Well for what I paid for them i think i can live with the condition, but wont know till i get them. I paid £79, £75 and £59, and £26 for the as new end plates, so not a fortune. They will be stripped down and we will see what we have.. :)

Ian.

I love Abu 6500’s , iv a massive soft spot for the tg rocket reels which I think are a modern day version of the Abu reels built with better materials casts a dream

Very nice. There is just something nostalgic about the older Abu Ambassadeur 6500 series reels.

Ian.
For sure I’ve got a pair of ld super matches and it’s a lovely combo for flats etc or lobbing a big bait for bass and holding the rod as it rolls up to a feature where you know they are holed up. My first proper reels years back where a pair of 65 gr’s that were brand new before that it was 65’s made up from second hand reels and spares.

View attachment 66536
So did this "lovely" manage to get out of its box just for the photo-shoot ?? Doesn't look like its ever seen a salty shingle beach !!

Last edited:
NO! It's been sat here in it's box for probably 40 yrs or more.It's become part of the furniture.The Green versions have been here longer.
I don't get that (storing great stuff away) @tdxs133pm, but there was no harm in asking I reckoned. Thanks for responding anyway.

I don't get that (storing great stuff away)
Only used a couple of times.The Greens have been used more but they are still pristine.Stopped using the Greens when i bought the Daiwa 7HT Mags.Also have a pair of ABU 6500 Sports Mags the blue ones with domed side plates,also immaculate.(y)Like using these.

Last edited:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back