• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

shock leaders

Do you mean "the shockleader knot" a 6 turn tucked blood knot in the main line & overhand (or fig8) on the end of the leader for the blood knot to bite against ? Takes about 30 seconds to tie & doesn't need some daft gizmo.
Personally I never use braid for a leader because the stretch in mono acts as a damper when the fish is on a very short line.

I was taught to use the Blood knot as a kid, but in later years I've had a few pull out, so stick with the Uni Knot now.

no not ideal BUT i can do them very fast and easy...the video of course is slowing everything down to teach. literally just hold the two ends up, spin bobbibn down then back up, takes a few seconds, then tie off...lots ways to tie off too...can just tie a few half hitches or a rizutto whip finish...no need to get fancy if you just whipping one up to fish... the holding power is in the wraps not the finishing knots... and by the way...it has been proven that is better NOT to wrap the first ones down tight but spaced then wrap back up tight...

here is how should be done.... but this is to mono..i was trying to show the braid to braid in previous video

Makes sense where you are

All depends what you are fishing for... in SA , Aussie ,USA and Oman etc they are fishing some big and powerful fish, GT , Tuna etc...you need 100% knots ...when fishing light tackle as most of UK fishing is, there are many many much more simpler knots that will work just fine. horses for courses
You missed the large Halibut in Canada.

For me heavy rock fishing with 70lb braid and 90lb rubbing leader hooks bend out when snagged or part of main body of Rigg body frays on whatever though once in a while loose rubbing leader but not often.
Think when current spool of 90lb braid done will just go 70lb straight through and cut back a few metres end of season depending on chaffing, don’t like braid but more advantages than not on the rocky ground especially braking out at night on slippery rock edges and not particular on any specific knot for braid to braid and plenty on u tube to dement 😂
However if was fishing for something a little more exotic and expensive abroad than the humble uk cod fish would use whatever knot the experts advised and practice, practice.🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
I was taught to use the Blood knot as a kid, but in later years I've had a few pull out, so stick with the Uni Knot now.
Double your mainline and tie it with the doubled line and it's even better👍 works for any mainline (add a few extra turns for braid, so 7+ rather than 5+, thinner the line the more turns needed ). An extra tag to trim is the only down side I know of - big deal eh! I can tie this by feel alone, no need to look for glasses or to put a light on. Seatrout fishing encourages stealth and dexterity😊

Wind-on knots I will use the PR bobin or home made wind-on leaders to a bimini double etc

One thing for certain if fishing clean to mixed ground using a decent 18lb mainline through to a tapered shocker the knot will part company if pulling for brake on unknown or new snag most of the time as in theory weakest point.
Looped end of 70 lb tapered shocker round post and payed out around 80 yards of line to give stretch and takes some stress to snap at knot if testing to destruction but guess if scientific using different knots and measuring stress some knot on paper would be better than other on the day.
Used to fish a beach after a blow and of the eve if conditions right used to lurve the sound of the twang along the beach of untapered shocker knots passing through end ring/guide.😜
Edit, thought best mention no idea what guides were been used but have not fished it since 2010.😂😂😂

Last edited:
another reason we use braid leader when using braid mailine is if you need to use strong leader (100lbs and up) and need it long enough to wrap once around the spool, then there can be a problem with wind knotting.... the heavy/thick mono pulls off much slower than the thin braid behind it and can cause issues in the rings

braid also cuts through seaweed and kelp better, but it is NOT as tough to abrasion and sharp edges as mono is

Video below..one reason we use heavy leader :) and here 100lb leader is considered not enough and this is why we must use FG and PR knots, others WILL fail

disclaimer: this is not me, this is Xander in South Africa a pro fisher

Last edited:
Oh the joys of wind knots and wraps on dark cold winters nights followed by kelp trees wrapping round leader after a storm a real fun night when using braid at times but to be fair only latter not pilot error most of the time.🤷🏽‍♂️

notice light tackle ... 50 to 60 lb main with 100lb leader :)

heavy fishing and heavy leaders etc, i know...i have come to this forum to learn all about your (UK) guys speciality in coarse fishing. You have some amazing intricate rigs with all kinds of paraphernalia on the line. i am just gettting into that type of light fishing. is very interesting.

Busanga this is Talk Sea Fishing, the coarse fishing you are referring to is freshwater fishing so the info you are looking for will be better found elsewhere on coarse fishing forums like 'maggot drowners", 'fishing magic' etc👍

Busanga this is Talk Sea Fishing, the coarse fishing you are referring to is freshwater fishing so the info you are looking for will be better found elsewhere on coarse fishing forums like 'maggot drowners", 'fishing magic' etc👍
my bad i misunderstood coarse fishing. am interested in the rigs you use for your sea fishing like pulley rigs and up and over etc. am just starting to try those type of rigs out. i bought a load of Gemini stuff and have started putting together a few rigs to try out here

ps. i like that name...Maggot Drowners.... hahahaha

Last edited:
If you think the PR Bobbn knot is fiddly...try this...the stronget braid to braid knot there is a 100+% knot

The good thing about these is that you make them at home so you have the leaders ready to attach to your mainline swivel or loop in your mainline with a catspaw for eg.. so instant leader (once you have them made up and packed ready)

Last edited:
Out of sea fishing for many years due to work. Came back and still had, I think, 20lb Sylcast on my ABU 7000 reel converted to CT, and used for rough ground work. Got stuck on a snag off a pier and couldn't snap off. Loads of people tried but no joy.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back