• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Question about Ragworm

SirGunner

TSF Supporter
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hey everyone I'm heading down to Chesil Beach this weekend and really looking forward to trying my luck on this iconic beach 😃
Unfortunately I'm struggling to get hold of any fresh black lug from any of the local shops down there. Due to this I've ordered some Ragworm to try (never tried it before due to a small phobia of things with millions of wriggling legs) 😬 lol
I have a few questions, the main one being is there anyway of keeping Ragworm in good condition over a couple of days without having a fridge?
Also how much Rag am I likely to need over 2 days fishing (will be fishing one rod on worm the other will be on bigger baits such as Squid, Bluey and Prawns).
Lastly having never used it before what rigs work best for Ragworm? Will be fishing for anything thats happy to take my bait although Cod, Rays and Smoothounds will be my main targets with hopefully a few Black Bream thrown in for good measure 😀
Thanks in advance for any advice anyones willing to share, it will be very much appreciated.

Hey everyone I'm heading down to Chesil Beach this weekend and really looking forward to trying my luck on this iconic beach 😃
Unfortunately I'm struggling to get hold of any fresh black lug from any of the local shops down there. Due to this I've ordered some Ragworm to try (never tried it before due to a small phobia of things with millions of wriggling legs) 😬 lol
I have a few questions, the main one being is there anyway of keeping Ragworm in good condition over a couple of days without having a fridge?
Also how much Rag am I likely to need over 2 days fishing (will be fishing one rod on worm the other will be on bigger baits such as Squid, Bluey and Prawns).
Lastly having never used it before what rigs work best for Ragworm? Will be fishing for anything thats happy to take my bait although Cod, Rays and Smoothounds will be my main targets with hopefully a few Black Bream thrown in for good measure 😀
Thanks in advance for any advice anyones willing to share, it will be very much appreciated.

Get urself a cool box wrap ice blocks in paper ,keep ragwort dry in paper should last 2days
Hey @Almaddy thanks for the advice. I have a small cool box and plenty of ice blocks but have no way of refreezing the blocks for the second days fishing. Do you think they will last ok without refreezing the blocks for the second day?

If you are heading to east chesil, personally I'd buy some frozen blacks. Cut them into pieces and bind onto a baiting needle with elastic. You might find softer baits like rag get stripped quickly by the millions of tiny bream that inhabit the deeper waters. Fresh mac strip for Gurnard, squid is a good all round bait and will last longer if bound with elastic. Codling will take rag, but are fonder of crab that end, peeler or hermit. Frozen will work well. I much prefer blow lug for western chesil when chasing sole and plaice, I will also use rag in daylight, however once the light goes the strap eels have a fondness for rag. In summary take a variety of baits, cut them down small and use plenty of bait elastic. As for keeping rag fresh, it's very difficult as much depends on what has happened in transit to the shop. Keep the newspaper dry and ask for extra peat, rag don't like it very cold, around 8 degrees is ideal, but they will get frostbite if kept to close to ice blocks.

If you are heading to east chesil, personally I'd buy some frozen blacks. Cut them into pieces and bind onto a baiting needle with elastic. You might find softer baits like rag get stripped quickly by the millions of tiny bream that inhabit the deeper waters. Fresh mac strip for Gurnard, squid is a good all round bait and will last longer if bound with elastic. Codling will take rag, but are fonder of crab that end, peeler or hermit. Frozen will work well. I much prefer blow lug for western chesil when chasing sole and plaice, I will also use rag in daylight, however once the light goes the strap eels have a fondness for rag. In summary take a variety of baits, cut them down small and use plenty of bait elastic. As for keeping rag fresh, it's very difficult as much depends on what has happened in transit to the shop. Keep the newspaper dry and ask for extra peat, rag don't like it very cold, around 8 degrees is ideal, but they will get frostbite if kept to close to ice blocks.
Thanks @squidword for the in-depth reply. I have some frozen blacks that I will be taking with me so will definitely give that a go too 👍 I have squid, bluey, mackerel and prawns which I will be taking along with me also but can't get hold of any crab at the moment unfortunately. Got plenty of elastic also so should be good on that front.
When using rag will I need any different rigs to the ones I normally use? My main rigs are 2 hook flappers, one up one down, pulley pennel and up and over. Cheers

Depending on your accommodation, try and find the coolest place that you can stash bait. If no fridge, then look around for shaded area, perhaps under tent ground sheet, or behind a wheel if caravan. Cottages have gardens, perhaps a pot planter, or behind a wall Beware fox activity, even under a paving slab or wheeley bin might do.

Keep bait in a cool box in newspaper, change paper at least once a day, can't say how much you will need, don't rely on just one type of bait ,your type of rigs sound fine,tight lines mate.

Depending on your accommodation, try and find the coolest place that you can stash bait. If no fridge, then look around for shaded area, perhaps under tent ground sheet, or behind a wheel if caravan. Cottages have gardens, perhaps a pot planter, or behind a wall Beware fox activity, even under a paving slab or wheeley bin might do.
Thanks @Angle2dangle we are staying at a hotel in Portland. We've not been there before but they do have an outside area so might be able to find an area to stash bait.

Keep bait in a cool box in newspaper, change paper at least once a day, can't say how much you will need, don't rely on just one type of bait ,your type of rigs sound fine,tight lines mate.
Thanks @Wolf for the advice on Rag and rigs. I'm definitely taking multiple types of bait so fingers crossed I'll have something the fish fancy 🤞 😁

Hey @Almaddy thanks for the advice. I have a small cool box and plenty of ice blocks but have no way of refreezing the blocks for the second days fishing. Do you think they will last ok without refreezing the blocks for the second day?
Always can buy bags of ice anywhere

If you're in a hotel just ask them to refreeze your ice blocks over night ;)
I've always found vermiculite the best medium for rag & personally I'd split it to separate packs asap so the 2nd days bait stays packed in a coolbox rather than open it all on day 1 & repack what's left for the next day.

If you're in a hotel just ask them to refreeze your ice blocks over night ;)
I've always found vermiculite the best medium for rag & personally I'd split it to separate packs asap so the 2nd days bait stays packed in a coolbox rather than open it all on day 1 & repack what's left for the next day.
Thanks @Angrybear that's a good idea to split the bait straight away. I may have managed to get some fresh black lug for Friday and can pick up the Rag on Saturday so fingers crossed problems solved 🤞

Thanks @Angle2dangle we are staying at a hotel in Portland. We've not been there before but they do have an outside area so might be able to find an area to stash bait.

If you are driving down there, keeping your cool box in the boot of the car might work if stuck. Take a couple of blanets to put over the cool box - keeps the sun off and provides more insulation. We have taken frozen foods to France many times and covering the cool box in blankets has helped keep the contents frozen.

If you are driving down there, keeping your cool box in the boot of the car might work if stuck. Take a couple of blanets to put over the cool box - keeps the sun off and provides more insulation. We have taken frozen foods to France many times and covering the cool box in blankets has helped keep the contents frozen.
Thanks @Trampster yeah we will be driving down there. About 3.5 hour drive so shouldn't be too bad but that's a good idea with the blankets to insulate the cool box, will definitely do that cheers 👍

I’ve had fair success with an electric cool box, which can be plugged into the car as well as the mains.

When I went to guernsey used to plug it in at my B&B room at night and in the car when driving around during the day.
Mine wasn’t fantastically cold and they’re best ‘charged’ with freezer blocks first, but it did seem to keep ragworm alive okay.

They are noisy though so I used to take an extension lead and shut it in the bathroom at the digs when I wanted to sleep.
When camping couldn’t escape the constant droning/humming but managed to adjust to it after the first sleepless night 🙄

I’ve had fair success with an electric cool box, which can be plugged into the car as well as the mains.

When I went to guernsey used to plug it in at my B&B room at night and in the car when driving around during the day.
Mine wasn’t fantastically cold and they’re best ‘charged’ with freezer blocks first, but it did seem to keep ragworm alive okay.

They are noisy though so I used to take an extension lead and shut it in the bathroom at the digs when I wanted to sleep.
When camping couldn’t escape the constant droning/humming but managed to adjust to it after the first sleepless night 🙄
Thanks @Mr Fish Hadn't really though about an electric cool box as all of my fishing so far has been single day/night sessions locally. Might be worth investing in an electric cool box if I'm going to be doing a bit more travelling 🤔

With regard to the amount of Ragworm required can anybody tell me how many worms are in 1lb? I know it won't be exact as its by weight and size of worms will vary but a rough idea will be useful to work out if 1lb of Rag will be enough for 2 days fishing

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back