• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Problems with my butt

Mr Fish

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Well, a reducer actually, on a rod that was given to me.
It’s a Drennan Team England beachcaster and seems a fairly nice rod so want to try it once I can get some coasters for it.

The reducer appeared to be out so I tried to put it back in, but a couple of twists later it was locked solid. Didn’t even try and twist it too hard 🙄

My mate has since told me the reducer didn’t go all the way in anyway, only came right out.
Unfortunately I’ve tried rubber gloves and a cold bait pack and grunted and heaved and turned purple but I can’t budge it at all now.

Because the shrink wrap on it had been set for reel down (I like reel up) and with the reducer where it is, the existing two pieces of wrap were in the wrong place for the reel so I cut them off and put some spare wrap it had on so I can now use it reel up at the current length.

I imagine it now looks horrible to purists but as long as I can use it I don’t really care.

I would ideally like to remove the reducer altogether and put the butt cap on the main rod, so any ideas on how to get the damn thing out are welcome!

IMG_4084.jpeg

As it was with the old wrap, reducer out. Or in as far as it can go, not sure tbh!

IMG_4086.jpeg

With the new wrap, a cheap cut off I’ve had for years but it wrapped okay under boiling water but yep, for purists and OCD types it’s going to hurt their eyeballs! 😂

Boiling water on the female and twisty pulling.
Try rolling the butt and see if it's in straight. If it's not, then work out which way it's crooked and try and knock it straight with your hand only.

Is this a Conoflex captive reducer by any chance? ie glued in, telescopic,twist locking?

If it is they sometimes get a bit of sand/grit in them. Try running water down inside it. Try from both directions. Failing that try WD40. Try tightening the screw thread a tiny bit before sharply unscrewing....

If not (and it's a standard removable type of simple tube) then you should be able to insert a suitable dowel down inside the spigot to reach the very top of the reducer and be able to tap it out with a couple of sharp but light knocks

Is this a Conoflex captive reducer by any chance? ie glued in, telescopic,twist locking?

If it is they sometimes get a bit of sand/grit in them. Try running water down inside it. Try from both directions. Failing that try WD40. Try tightening the screw thread a tiny bit before sharply unscrewing....

If not (and it's a standard removable type of simple tube) then you should be able to insert a suitable dowel down inside the spigot to reach the very top of the reducer and be able to tap it out with a couple of sharp but light knocks
Err, I think and from what my mate recalls it’s just a tube that comes out.
However he said it didn’t actually go in all the way. Which makes me think there’s a lip or stop inside the main butt?

I would need some 5-6 foot of dowel to reach it from the other end and obviously it would need to be the right diameter, so a faff but doable if I can find a dowel shop…

Boiling water on the female and twisty pulling.
Try rolling the butt and see if it's in straight. If it's not, then work out which way it's crooked and try and knock it straight with your hand only.
Cheers Pete, I’ll try the boiling water method then as that’s easily done at home.

Tbh now I’ve got the shrink wrap on where I want it for a reel, I’ll probably just try and fish with it as is.
If I’m happy with the length as is, no worries but if I find it awkward I’ll try and remove the reduced altogether and replace the butt cap on the main butt.

It also looks as if there’s a slight bulge in the wall of the blank where the reducer goes in, so I guess despite thinking I hadn’t used too much force initially, I must have done…

Just get a mate to hold the reducer while you hold the rod & twist/pull them apart ;) be very careful with boiling water as it can soften the material.
It once took 5 people to pull the tip & butt of my uptider apart at the end of a trip

To be fair it fit in the X-trail assembled with the telescopic butt closed, so it hadn't been apart for best part of a year

Last edited:
I would ideally like to remove the reducer altogether and put the butt cap on the main rod, so any ideas on how to get the damn thing out are welcome!

View attachment 71771

😂
If you want to remove the reducer altogether and put a butt cap on would it be way too simple to suggest a hacksaw ?:rolleyes:

If you want to remove the reducer altogether and put a butt cap on would it be way too simple to suggest a hacksaw ?:rolleyes:
Ha, yes have already thought of that and it may come to that, but I’m not too keen on destroying straight off the bat plus I’m going to try fishing with it at that length first as I may decide that’s fine and no further action needed.

Have you tried a pair of mole grips..?..🤷🏼‍♂️
Not yet! That may be a last resort before the hacksaw with a built up tape collar on it first, as suggested by @Kine262 if a standard adjustable spanner won’t do it.

But again, I’m quite happy to try it as is first, now the shrink wrap is on.
Just need to get some coasters

I had a similar problem with a rod had to drive home with it on roof rack,i then removed butt cap got a piece of plastic heating pipe and put a 5 pence piece on end pushed it in rod then tapped it came apart a treat[cant remember if it was new or old size 5p]

Just get a mate to hold the reducer while you hold the rod & twist/pull them apart ;) be very careful with boiling water as it can soften the material.
It once took 5 people to pull the tip & butt of my uptider apart at the end of a trip
Soften Carbon? the lowest temperature you can get the resin to bond properly is a minimum of 120 degrees.
So carbon itself won't distort till around 250 degrees at the lowest.... but the resin can soften at a minimum of 120 degrees.
Kettle water at best probs 95 degrees.
I think your safe mr fish.

If you can.
In the freezer for an hour.
Then boiling water on the female joint.
Two people, one on the butt, one on the reducer.
Twist opposite directions.
Be amazed if that doesn't work.

If you can.
In the freezer for an hour.
Then boiling water on the female joint.
Two people, one on the butt, one on the reducer.
Twist opposite directions.
Be amazed if that doesn't work.

I said it twice incase you were not paying attention

I said it twice incase you were not paying attention

It also looks as if there’s a slight bulge in the wall of the blank where the reducer goes in, so I guess despite thinking I hadn’t used too much force initially, I must have done…
The bulge in the wall of the blank is just reinforcement for the reducer. Get yourself a piece of dowel and whack it out. I've spent hours messing with hot water, bags of peas and shaking chicken bones at such joints and none of them work. I can't believe StanM recommended a hacksaw ;)

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back