• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Now they want to protect the crabs. 🙄

I found some clown in an inflatable paying out a gill net in the estuary at Aberystwyth one evening a couple of years ago. He clearly didn't know what he was doing. Good luck with the resident seal, in whose hunting-ground he was laying his net! The Environment Agency (we have Natural Resources Wales (NRW) here) are totally useless, but I phoned up the local tackle shop the next morning and he put the Harbourmaster onto the case. Aber still have a run of sea trout and salmon so I expect the local chaps would keep their eyes open for any fish-related jiggery-pokery.

One day in july i was out getting peeler cab on my local patch and i spotted a chinese woman and two daughters shoving stuff into plastic carrier bags? i had to ask!! what are you collecting. they were colecting any seaweed they could find. the mother was scavenging for anything. in her bag was limpets, winkles green shore cabs, anenomies, and those little butterfish eel things. i asked what were they for we eat them. and they said they scour the woods near by for anything that cawls hops or slithers. i stopped eating chinese food :unsure:
D.S.J.

One day in july i was out getting peeler cab on my local patch and i spotted a chinese woman and two daughters shoving stuff into plastic carrier bags? i had to ask!! what are you collecting. they were colecting any seaweed they could find. the mother was scavenging for anything. in her bag was limpets, winkles green shore cabs, anenomies, and those little butterfish eel things. i asked what were they for we eat them. and they said they scour the woods near by for anything that cawls hops or slithers. i stopped eating chinese food :unsure:
D.S.J.
The Chinese did the same on a couple of my local beaches. !!

D.S.J.
I've eaten road-kill before now (pheasants and the odd hare). I draw the line at stuff from the beach though, knowing what goes into the sea (thank you Welsh Water).

There was an organised massive cull of Rock (Pacific) oysters in the SW a few years back, due to a rapid expansion of the "invader". Not sure about any more recent/repeat culls.

(Apparently they were not harvested for consumption - merely crunched to death in situ !! But no doubt fish enjoyed their easy meal and got a bit plumper on the next tide.)
They sell them up here and there’s regular (legal) pickers at Mersea Island.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back