• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Multipliers - why?

DaveH

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
I've just started using a multiplier for piking (again). My question is rhetorical - I know why some people use multipliers. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about before I got to old. I used to use a multiplier many years ago - an Intrepid Sea-Streak. I'm fact I bought one from Ebay to see if it was a good as I remember. This one didn't work, and honestly? a piece of junk, although the design was interesting. Disappointing, because I remember being able to cast a fair way with mine on a beach caster back in the day.

I now have four working multipliers - two Akios (a 656 CSM, and a 656 Dynamo CT), and two Abu Ambassadors (6000 series) - one from the 1970's, and one from 1969. The Abu's are both a dream, to fiddle about with and cast. The Akios CT is not particularly enjoyable to use, the Akios CSM is much better built and probably will be good to use on the coast when I get around to it. Bit of flag-waving for Abu - I bought the last one (1969), with case and spares, including a spare spool, for less than £25 from Ebay a month ago. It took me a couple of hours to strip, clean and reassemble, including unsticking a stuck bearing.

I now have the overrun problem sorted with all the reels (I can cast and not worry about an overrun). The CT does want to eat line (which the Abu's don't). My casting is coming along, in that I can now cast accurately about 40 yards - don't laugh - this is sitting down (from a kayak), and about 55 yds in the garden and over the hedge. The rod I'm using at the moment is my soft seven-and-a-half foot pike rod (5-18gm) with a 1 oz weight. I know I could get much greater distances with a stiffer, longer rod. I thought I would sort out my casting technique first before going for distance.

My point, I suppose, is that I can see why the old Abu's were so popular. Beautiful to look at and work on, and a complete pleasure to use. The Akios's, not so much.
I can't comment on the new Abu reels, except to say that from what I've seen on u-tube they don't seem to be anywhere as well made as the older reels.

It's a welcome from me Dave (y)
I still use my Abu's (5500c & 5000) from the late 60's good little reels imo.

Welcome aboard. Some of the old Abus still work well for me too. I have 2 5500s, both converted from CS. One magged and upgraded bearings etc and one with just the speed bullet and upgraded bearings (abec 7's). Prefer the speed bullet version. Modern reels don't seem to be built to last like these, not unless you spend a lot of money anyway.

I just can't get on with multiplier reels, and apart from a couple of level wind ones in the back of the cupboard for boat fishing, I've always used fixed spool reels.

True what you say, quality has gone to pot since everything started being manufactured in China. Even some big nakes like Abu & Penn are not what they used to be.

I just can't get on with multiplier reels, and apart from a couple of level wind ones in the back of the cupboard for boat fishing, I've always used fixed spool reels.

True what you say, quality has gone to pot since everything started being manufactured in China. Even some big nakes like Abu & Penn are not what they used to be.
I'm completely the opposite of you Trampster. I've never liked fixed spool reels and learned to cast with a multiplier in the 1960's using an unbraked Penn Beachmaster. Since then I've built up a collection of quality Swedish built Abu reels including the 5600, 6000. 6500, 7000, 8000 and 9000 which cover all my fishing from dabs to common skate. I also have an original American built Penn 525 Mag. I agree that the quality of modern multipliers is very poor. My older reels though are in a different class and even though the oldest is over 50 years old they are still as reliable as ever and with regular maintenance will see me through to the end of my fishing days. I do own one small fixed spool for very light spinning but it doesn't get used much. My mate had a Sea Streak and it was an awful reel but it would cast a reasonable distance and he caught plenty of fish with it.

I do have a brand new Penn USA made 320 GTI, and a Penn Senator boat rod, both never used. I used to go boat fishing years ago, often twice a week with a good mate, and decided to treat myself to a new rod & reel. 4 days after I'd bought them, my mate rang me to say his father was selling the house and the boat too. Rod & Reel have not been out of the cupboard since.

1727248056932.jpeg

My mate had a Sea Streak and it was an awful reel but it would cast a reasonable distance and he caught plenty of fish with it.
Yep. When you delve inside you can see how poor the construction was - all fur coat and no knickers. The design was good though (comfortable to use), and the innovative braking system worked very well. My oldest Abu is 55 years old (I know the dating can be iffy, but the grooved side plates and unslotted thumbscrews tend to confirm this) and works probably as well as it did when it was new.

I do have a brand new Penn USA made 320 GTI, and a Penn Senator boat rod, both never used. I used to go boat fishing years ago, often twice a week with a good mate, and decided to treat myself to a new rod & reel. 4 days after I'd bought them, my mate rang me to say his father was selling the house and the boat too. Rod & Reel have not been out of the cupboard since.

View attachment 71205
I also have a brand new boat rod, never used. I bought it to use off the kayak, but age and common sense caught up with me and I realised that I'd never be fit enough to sit in a kayak for hours on challenging water. Llangorse and pike is enough for me on the kayak nowadays. Perhaps I'll give Solva a go sometime...

Practice make perfect tramps, agree with the quality nowadays. Best get back to the over designed as in the old days.

Go stand in the corner and have a word with yourself, nowadays the Pure fishing rubbish aint what it used to be way back when it was over designed.

Best get back to the over designed as in the old days.
The first Toyota RAV4 had only a bit of plastic in the engine bay, and an exposed exhaust manifold upon which you could balance a couple of tinfoil-wrapped pasties to heat them up after a long drive to the river or coast. Sadly lacking in the new Rav, which is all very clever in other respects. I suppose Toyota may eventually design something to heat pies up at no extra cost to the environment, charging a bloody fortune for it along the way, as per usual!

I fish with both, but can distance cast better with a multiplier, fixed spools I keep for lighter single handed rods.
It does sometimes horrify me watching people cast, how they can make such a cluster xxxx of it, (watching Bob Mortimer on TV makes me scream at the screen :eek:)
Much of the time when watching the issue is obvious & it's nice to offer advice & see an instant improvement.
By far the biggest leap forward for me casting with a multiplier, was swapping to a low real.

I fish with both, but can distance cast better with a multiplier, fixed spools I keep for lighter single handed rods.
It does sometimes horrify me watching people cast, how they can make such a cluster xxxx of it, (watching Bob Mortimer on TV makes me scream at the screen :eek:)
Much of the time when watching the issue is obvious & it's nice to offer advice & see an instant improvement.
By far the biggest leap forward for me casting with a multiplier, was swapping to a low real.

That would be a non-starter for me anyway - all of my rods have fixed reel seats.

DSCF1269.jpeg

This is my other 6000c, from the early 1970's. The side plates have been bashed about a bit, but the cage is in great condition, apart from a bit of wear to the chrome. and everything works as it should A lovely bit of kit to use - I wouldn't't trust my Akios reels not to eat low-diameter line as pictured, but the Abu is good to go.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back