• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Jolly Boys do Norway Part 2

Just another day at the office for a boat angler.

But yes, you are right, handling a boat over long distances in big swells is tiring, but you get into a rhythm which makes it easier.

Last year I was 35 miles out fishing the Murree, and the sea got steadily worse (not as forecast), then we were motoring back in a 15 - 20ft swell, it was like a fleet of double decker buses all the way back.
Yes I feel I could have done it, though we wouldn’t have chosen to go that far in those conditions without someone more experienced, but I wouldn’t have enjoyed it!

FYI for longer trips like that the camp insists a minimum of two boats go together and tbh I think where possible they try and make sure a guide is with them, which is fair enough.

Great fishing guys on what sounds like a tough day conditions wise. At least you had a few fish with the guide, usually been the kiss of death going with a guide in our limited experience- 2 occasions!
Well until this trip I’d have agreed with you but they proved their worth this time. More to come yet!

But yes, my previous trips with guides have been poor fishing.
Which isn’t a slur on those guides at the time - I was happy they knew their stuff, they were just unlucky days, fish wise

That makes perfect sense (y)
Yep those guys do it every day, know the waters and handle boats as easily as breathing, so it’s a no brainer really.

I have no idea what reaction you’d get if you just said ‘yea a couple of us are going out to the reef’ as have only ever been with guides and frankly probably wouldn’t even contemplate it unless the seas were mirror calm and set to stay that way.

Another fantastic report, great photos and some damn good fish - enjoyed that one Tony. 🎣🎣👍👍.
The bit about the rod going overboard and then being retrieved was incredible, Shame Tats lost the Halibut.
If someone told that tale down the pub, you'd struggle to believe it.

Yep those guys do it every day, know the waters and handle boats as easily as breathing, so it’s a no brainer really.

I have no idea what reaction you’d get if you just said ‘yea a couple of us are going out to the reef’ as have only ever been with guides and frankly probably wouldn’t even contemplate it unless the seas were mirror calm and set to stay that way.
The sea doesn't forgive☹️

Just another day at the office for a boat angler.

But yes, you are right, handling a boat over long distances in big swells is tiring, but you get into a rhythm which makes it easier.

Last year I was 35 miles out fishing the Murree, and the sea got steadily worse (not as forecast), then we were motoring back in a 15 - 20ft swell, it was like a fleet of double decker buses all the way back.

Was this in your RIB GPSG?

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back