• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Best line to line knots with thick mono' ?

Casker

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I find I have some blue 0.9mm (60lb) and clear 0.57mm (40lb) monofilament line bought for a deer-fencing set-up (!! - they can't see it so it spooks 'em away when they touch it). I've looked up and have some knot recommends for knotting thicker mono onto swivels etc, but I'm not so sure about joining to other line (e.g. as backing line or for any spooled main line leader).

Any thoughts/recommends please ?

Last edited:
Just use the search button on here, loads of threads about knots.. (y)

Ian.

I find I have some blue 0.9mm (60lb) and clear 0.57 (40lb) monofilament line bought for deer-fencing (!! - they can't see it so it spooks 'em when they touch it). I've looked up and have some knot recommends for knotting thicker mono onto swivels etc, but I'm not so sure about joining to other line (e.g. as backing line or for any spooled main line leader).

Any thoughts/recommends please ?

Many knots to tie line in different situations, and like a lot of other angling things, everybody has their own preference.

I've taken to just using a Uni knot (AKA the Grinner knot) for tying line to swivels, hooks etc. The thicker the line, the less turns you need.
For joining mono main line to shockleader, I did try the FG knot, but now just use a double Uni knot tied carefully to make sure the knot isn't too big and passes through the rings OK when casting.

There's a Salt Strong PDF guide to knots here:

And if you haven't already got it, the Planet Sea Fishing guide to rigs is a useful reference too:

Umm - OK ! I'll try again for thick line/thin line joins.
Or just give youtube a look, plenty of vids on joining line of different thickness.

Ian.

I just plugged in a very wide variety of search phrases, but nothing comes up that comes close to my query. I could spend a life-time reading thro' the various non-specific posts.

If you know of a relevant knotty thread/article wingnut55, I should be really grateful for a pointer AND I would also refer forum members/readers back to my original starter post.
Just have a play with different knots, that’s what I do until I’m happy.

Many knots to tie line in different situations, and like a lot of other angling things, everybody has their own preference.

I've taken to just using a Uni knot (AKA the Grinner knot) for tying line to swivels, hooks etc. The thicker the line, the less turns you need.
For joining mono main line to shockleader, I did try the FG knot, but now just use a double Uni knot tied carefully to make sure the knot isn't too big and passes through the rings OK when casting.

There's a Salt Strong PDF guide to knots here:

And if you haven't already got it, the Planet Sea Fishing guide to rigs is a useful reference too:

Thank you Trampster - I'll check out links.

Or just give youtube a look, plenty of vids on joining line of different thickness.

Ian.
I will, thanks Ian - just thought a forum member (maybe a boat fisher) might put their finger on the best solution/s to save me endless searches.

Last edited:
With mono that thick you need to watch the tag ends don't stick out at right angles. I'd use a figure of 8 or even just one over hand knot on the thick mono and a version of a tucked knotless knot on the thinner line.

I find I have some blue 0.9mm (60lb) and clear 0.57mm (40lb) monofilament line bought for a deer-fencing set-up (!! - they can't see it so it spooks 'em away when they touch it). I've looked up and have some knot recommends for knotting thicker mono onto swivels etc, but I'm not so sure about joining to other line (e.g. as backing line or for any spooled main line leader).

Any thoughts/recommends
Probably not what you want to hear but. Have you ever thought about going in to a tackle shop and explaining to them you are having difficulty getting to grips with various sea angling related issues and could they either help you or put you in touch with a local club, that's where the real learning comes from for those prepared to put a bit of effort in, likewise if you do not take on board the snippets of good info that will come your way you will be left to flounder about as they tend not to spoon feed you, it is the only way to get ahead of the game, continually asking every little thing on a forum comes across as lazy and wanting it all laid out on a plate for you, many have tried in the past and IMO they will never be competent anglers, look along any beach, pier or rocks and they stand out like a sore thumb.
Away to look out a hard hat

Probably not what you want to hear but. Have you ever thought about going in to a tackle shop and explaining to them you are having difficulty getting to grips with various sea angling related issues and could they either help you or put you in touch with a local club, that's where the real learning comes from for those prepared to put a bit of effort in, likewise if you do not take on board the snippets of good info that will come your way you will be left to flounder about as they tend not to spoon feed you, it is the only way to get ahead of the game, continually asking every little thing on a forum comes across as lazy and wanting it all laid out on a plate for you, many have tried in the past and IMO they will never be competent anglers, look along any beach, pier or rocks and they stand out like a sore thumb.
Away to look out a hard hat
It's a view - your view @groundswell ! When I ask (maybe testing ?!) questions, I don't think that counts as wanting everything laid-out on a plate: what it means is that I'm thinking about how to optimise my novice fishing experiences from the experience of this forum's members. You think that's lazy - I don't - I think it's smart ! And most folk do actually like to pass on their experienced advice. (BTW, do you have any personal advice re secure thick-line knots from your experience ?? - well, I'm guessing you don't !?! :unsure: and perhaps you might wish to just ignore my threads/posts/questions in future !? Thank you.)

Last edited:
With mono that thick you need to watch the tag ends don't stick out at right angles. I'd use a figure of 8 or even just one over hand knot on the thick mono and a version of a tucked knotless knot on the thinner line.
Thank you for that suggestion @Valleyboy

... about not loosing end-tackle any more or losing everything on a long fast big-fish run when the backing knot fails as you twig and engage more drag ;):D:unsure:
Never, tighten drag against a running fish. As line goes out, diameter of line on spool gets smaller and drag automatically increases.

Never, tighten drag against a running fish. As line goes out, diameter of line on spool gets smaller and drag automatically increases.
thanks stan m - I think I know what you mean, but I might need to mindfully re-run that :)

thanks stan m - I think I know what you mean, but I might need to mindfully re-run that :)
Look at the numbers in the pic.. There are coresponding grooves on the inside of the spool, i.e. three grooves you can see. When reel is full of line and drag is set to whatever you choose, assume 10lb of drag. As line goes out the line diasmeter reduces and without touching the drag when line dia reaches approx. half the drag will have automatically increased to 15lb. Keep line going out until the spool is almost empty and that drag with the lever untouched will have increased to 30lb.

Decrease drag against a fast running fish

Canyon 1.jpg

It's a view - your view @groundswell ! When I ask (maybe testing ?!) questions, I don't think that counts as wanting everything laid-out on a plate: what it means is that I'm thinking about how to optimise my novice fishing experiences from the experience of this forum's members. You think that's lazy - I don't ! And most folk do actually like to pass on their experienced advice. (BTW, do you have any personal advice re secure thick-line knots from your experience ?? - well, I'm guessing you don't !?! :unsure: and perhaps you might wish to just ignore my threads/posts/questions in future !? Thank you.)
Ask away! I do think trying to get out and just fish rather than trying to fine tune and pre-plan everything is a better way to learn, and it is easy to overthink these things.

However much you try and anticipate what you might need in terms of gear or need to know, I can absolutely guarantee several things will crop up in your first few sessions you hadn’t even considered.

All that said, more than happy to answer questions.

In this case, my answer is 40-60lb mono isn’t really ridiculously thick and you can easily tie ‘normal’ knots in it.
I use a tucked half blood knot or sometimes a uni knot in line of that strength for rig bodies or hook traces and there’s really no issue with tying them. Moisten with a bit of spit when you tighten, easy peasy…

I see I'm not alone in thinking you want spoon feeding all the answers Casker! Do some research, try Google and YouTube, buy some books, join a local fishing club......dare I say it.....go fishing and experiment. Ffs get on with it man!

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back