• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Abu Garcia 6500 C3 CT Mag set up

Casker

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Newly purchased 2nd-hand 6500 reel has not yet arrived, but I was thinking it would be easy to find a User's Guide for setting-up this well known reel, BUT "No" - can't find any web links to the Guide for this particular reel what so ever !! (I attach pic of left-hand & r-hand side covers and knobs/dial.)
Yes, I've found a few YouTube references and various forum posts with some very useful advice, but I'm still a little in the dark.
Now I think I get that the l-hand side-plate knob and the r-hand plate knob are both to do with spool tension/sideways float/centring up (all very touchy-feely) and then the slider control on the rim of the l-hand plate (at 1 o/c on the l-hand plate pic) is the mag-braking adjuster, BUT what is that little thin numbered ring around the l-hand tension knob ?? No one ever mentions it !! Ref L-plate pic: at dead-on 3 o/c at '0' ring mark there is a wee lifted tag on the numbered ring that seemingly allows twiddling the ring setting (0-9) with finger tip/nail. What is that all about please anyone ?

Attachments

• image_2024-07-01_212054432.png
    image_2024-07-01_212054432.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • AG6500rightplate.jpg
    AG6500rightplate.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Planet Sea Fishing site had a guide to tuning most reels written by Neil Mackelow.... have a look there. Otherwise YouTube. Its old hat so there's bound to be plenty of info out there. Surely Google has the answers?
The Hi Speed was known for stripping gears btw. Again research would have told you this.

Planet Sea Fishing site had a guide to tuning most reels written by Neil Mackelow.... have a look there. Otherwise YouTube. Its old hat so there's bound to be plenty of info out there. Surely Google has the answers?
... "plenty of info out there" !! You'd think so wouldn't you ? I've tried every which way to get a definitive/comprehensive guide to/review of this dual-braking system reel (or of 5000, 6000, 7000 AG MAGs). It's almost like the reel or that thin numbered l-hand ring never existed and that AG do not have modern equivalents on the market (I'd swear the brand-new AG 6500 I fondled in-store had a virtually identical configuration and bore the C3 moniker also) !! AG's websites - US or EU or AU (I don't do Swedish) - make no mention !!! I'll check Planet SF - thanks.

Last edited:
The Hi Speed was known for stripping gears btw. Again research would have told you this.
Thanks for that - I think I might have read something like that somewhere, but, whatever, I'm accepting it is not a particularly heavy-duty reel and that the higher retrieve rate could over-strain if not sensible about reeling in any weighty, feisty catch. Of course, no telling what might actually end up taking a bait, but I won't be baiting the intended Penn rod/AG reel combo for very big fish and, while I will be fishing for food rather than sport, I shall not be overly concerned (mmm?! - well maybe) if something rather big should slip the hook which, in the main, will be a barbless hook.

Last edited:
I don't use multipliers, but the controls on that one are pretty common. I think:
The round knob on the handle side is to adjust the spool end float or tension. Only ever one knob for this as far as I'm aware.
The knob on the other side with the numbers around it is the Mag braking setting.
The 'slidey thing' on that same side is the 'clicker' or ratchet on/off. Should be off for casting.

If you open a website in any language in Firefox on a Laptop, Firefox (if up to date) will give you the option to translate it.
I think Firefox is available for phones & tablets too. There should be a Google translate add-on for Firefox too.

Some general info on Abu mag elite reels here - not exactly the same reel but it gives some good tips.

It just a reference where you have the spool centred, it's pointless. Just centre the spool adjusting both side tensions, then have a millimetre or so play, rocketing the spool side to side with your fingers. Just use car engine oil in the bearing. Makes only a few meters difference as to running a reel on the edge and you'll have no issues when fishing. Took my sl20 shv years ago to Weymouth casting club, it was 10 meters down on my casting reel on the 150g.

Last edited:
Thanks for that - I think I might have read something like that somewhere, but, whatever, I'm accepting it is not a particularly heavy-duty reel and that the higher retrieve rate can over-strain if not sensible about reeling in any weighty, feisty catch. Of course, no telling what might actually end up taking a bait, but I won't be baiting the intended Penn rod/AG reel combo for very big fish and, while I will be fishing for food rather than sport, I shall not be overly concerned (mmm?! - well maybe) if something rather big should slip the hook which, in the main, will be a barbless hook.

Meant to add that I was thinking more about fast retrieves of a mis-cast or untaken bait (particularly over clear ground). Its 6.3:1 v standard 5.3:1 ratio suggests about 20% increase in line retrieve-rate - from 26" to ~31" per turn of the handle. I reckoned less time retrieving dud long-casts from a beach rod was worth the Hi-speed. One can always adjust settings & rod-reel play on a fish (drag, reel handle turns, rod lifts etc) when there is something big or fighting hard on the hook. As you sort-of suggested elsewhere (re fly fishing rod speeds), but in my words - it's more about learning the art than pushing the limits (i.e. not going gung-ho).

Last edited:
The numbers are a relic of the days when the ambassadeurs were baitcasting reels and had spools with pressed in spindles ... on light lures you added tension to the end of the spindle with the cap to slow the reel .. ignore them as the principle doesn't work for UK surfcasting or live spool designs like the ultracast system on the Elite.

Setup on all the Ultracast 6500s is simple enough. Slacken off handle side cap then lean the reel to the other side and centre spool by adjusting the left (non handle) side end cap. Return to the handle side end cap and adjust end float until you have only the very slightest movement in the spool ... you should be able to feel and hear some sideways play but not actually be able to see it with the naked eye ... 0.25 mm or less is what you are aiming for. Don't have more than that as it allows the bearings in the spool to move on the spindle very slightly during casting and retrieve and that accelerates wear on the spindle and bearings over time .. it can cause them to run very erratically in some cases. Don't attempt to tighten down on the end cap to slow the spool as it damages the spool bearings and causes erratic running .. rely on blocks and mags to slow them down.

If the mags are set properly you don't really need the centrifugal blocks on the side of the spool ... nothing wrong in enabling a single block if you are the nervous type .. it can just as easily be disengaged if its too much. The magrax brake system has a design fault in that you don't get actual adjustment on some parts of the range of the slider. Adjustment is only between about 2 and 7 on the old numbered gauges (between 4 and 14 clicks on later plates without numbers). If you take the spool out of the reel and watch the mechanism inside while you move the slider you will see exactly what I mean ... it can vary slightly from reel to reel.

Personally I recommend people start off with 4 magnets in the centre of the rack, no blocks and the slider set between 3 and 4 on the old numbered scale or 6 to 8 clicks from zero on the scale without numbers. That should give you a very safe reel with a wide range of settings so you can fine tune if you want to. With that setup and the mags set at about 3 the reel should fly ... if it doesn't then something isn't right with the reel (or your casting).

Just to add the ABU magtrax brakes are not designed for out and out distance, they work in a sort of cadence fashion ... the spool speeds up and the field from the magnets increases so the field pushes the magnet rack away from the spool against the return spring. That reduces the field from the magnets and the spring then pushes the magnets back towards the spool - on a big hit you can often hear a sort of two tone noise from the reel which this causes. No good for winning tournaments but absolutely brilliant for fishing (if you understand how they work and use them accordingly). You can actually tune them by modifying the spring and if you have one that is temperamental, like the brakes work one cast then not the next one then you can often trace it to a dodgy return spring that needs replacing.

The 6.3:1 gears are a step too far in many people's eyes ... I'd have to agree. At that ratio there is just not enough meat on the teeth and they do wear quicker than the standard gears. You can however just down gear them when they give up by fitting the standard 5.3:1 gear set in there which fixes the issue.

The numbers are a relic of the days ....

.... The 6.3:1 gears are a step too far in many people's eyes ... I'd have to agree. At that ratio there is just not enough meat on the teeth and they do wear quicker than the standard gears. You can however just down gear them when they give up by fitting the standard 5.3:1 gear set in there which fixes the issue.
Great post - thank you most kindly @blakdog is back

Last edited:
Save up. You'll thank me in the long run
I'll do the investment appraisal ! Now how many extra bass fillets for the freezer should I plug into the equation ? I'm just joshing @Topwater and I will keep your reel recommend in mind for any further reel acquisitions - any particular Fathom reel you have in mind please?

Last edited:
I don't use multipliers, but the controls on that one are pretty common. I think:
The round knob on the handle side is to adjust the spool end float or tension. Only ever one knob for this as far as I'm aware.
The knob on the other side with the numbers around it is the Mag braking setting.
The 'slidey thing' on that same side is the 'clicker' or ratchet on/off. Should be off for casting.

If you open a website in any language in Firefox on a Laptop, Firefox (if up to date) will give you the option to translate it.
I think Firefox is available for phones & tablets too. There should be a Google translate add-on for Firefox too.

Some general info on Abu mag elite reels here - not exactly the same reel but it gives some good tips.

Thanks @Trampster. Regarding Abu G 6500s (& some of their other reels), it seems to me to be all a little bit different regarding spool tension adjusts and braking (mechanical & magnetic).

Last edited:
Just purchased 3 of the Green Mag Elite's from ebay, should be here at the weekend.. (y)

Ian.

Just purchased 3 of the Green Mag Elite's from ebay, should be here at the weekend.. (y)

Ian.
Got a few of them myself and I love them on west Chesil I’ve got mine magged and they cast like a dream. Some moan about the retrieve speed but as a fishing reel they are still up there for me. I know I can’t hit them hard and the line just peels off right in the edge but I know them so well you can hear when it’s about to bite you. The only thing I found is really low diameter line can be a problem at times .28 is the lowest I tend to use.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back