• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Ability to switch rigs quickly

I always re-tie the knot at the clip and check the strength of the leader knot. Also check the leader and if there’s any hint of damage it gets binned.
Yep totally. You’ve got to run it through the rod rings so I check it at the same time.

I certainly wouldn’t trust a knot and clip left on the leader, even sand will abrade it, not to mention the constant motion.
It’s not as if leaving it on there really saves any time

Hi all,

This may be a bit of a silly question but hoping someone can help me as cant find much on YT or the net.

I was taught (maybe incorrectly) by my grandfather that to connect your rig, first you need to tie a perfection loop at the end of your line, then push the loop through the swivel and then pull the rig back through the loop creating like a slipknot

2 issues is one the rig is not fixed securely as can slide up and down the loop, and it can be quite time consuming / clumsy to keep working out what needs pulling back through to remove the rig etc especially when you have cold / numb fingers.

Is there a better way of tying the rigs to your main line?
Maybe a clip to quickly disconnect and reconnect new rigs?

How do you guys do it?
Hi I use a Gemini power swivel on the leader and a Trident Termalink on the rig.This way you can swap rigs with ease.I use them a lot and have proved reliable

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpeg
    IMG_0433.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 6
Yep totally. You’ve got to run it through the rod rings so I check it at the same time.

I certainly wouldn’t trust a knot and clip left on the leader, even sand will abrade it, not to mention the constant motion.
Yes agree with that.Very careful about checking rigs and knots.Also only use quality components

Yes agree with that.Very careful about checking rigs and knots.Also only use quality components
I’m not perfect with it - sometimes I forget to check or just don’t bother, or don’t check properly and on a handful of occasions I’ve lost decent fish as a result.

But I’ve mostly got myself into the routine of checking line, leader and rigs as I go.

Had to have a talk with myself a couple of weeks ago as a rig was a bit abraded and I was on the verge of setting it up anyway (‘oh, it’ll be okay for a bit’) then I thought ‘what are you doing?! That’ll be the rig that gets a double figure fish on it!’

Bad enough to have something break when you didn’t realise it was worn but to do it deliberately is just schoolboy error shit.

Myself and I had a heated discussion after that, but I knew I was right 😇

Myself and I had a heated discussion after that, but I knew I was right

Always good to have a discussion with yourself - quite often, yourself is the only one you can get any sense out of! 😂😂

It's strange, some people cut the clip off then happily wrap tape around the spool to hold the line, not caring what the glue might do to the line.
I tie a clip swivel to the end of the leader which I also use to secure the line, usually around the reel foot, leaving a clip of some sort attached does not prevent inspecting the leader for damage :rolleyes:

It's strange, some people cut the clip off then happily wrap tape around the spool to hold the line, not caring what the glue might do to the line.
I tie a clip swivel to the end of the leader which I also use to secure the line, usually around the reel foot, leaving a clip of some sort attached does not prevent inspecting the leader for damage :rolleyes:
Not at all, but imo a knot rolling around on the seabed for an entire fishing session is going to get abraded.
It might look okay to the naked eye but that doesn’t mean it is, not to mention the few inches of line on the business end.

Personally for the 30 seconds or so it takes, I’d rather tie a fresh knot each time, after checking the leader and snipping off any rough bits.

Each to their own but there’s no real manifest benefit of leaving the clip on either.

Not at all, but imo a knot rolling around on the seabed for an entire fishing session is going to get abraded.
It might look okay to the naked eye but that doesn’t mean it is, not to mention the few inches of line on the business end.

Personally for the 30 seconds or so it takes, I’d rather tie a fresh knot each time, after checking the leader and snipping off any rough bits.

Each to their own but there’s no real manifest benefit of leaving the clip on either.
No clip will go through the small tip rings on my Conti rods, so they always have to be removed. I tie a figure of 8 loop in the end of the shock leader which I always check when threading it up through the rings. If it looks rough, re-tie a new one.
I acquired a length of motorcycle inner tube which, cut up into bands, is ideal to stretch over & retain the line on the F/S reel spools.

No clip will go through the small tip rings on my Conti rods, so they always have to be removed. I tie a figure of 8 loop in the end of the shock leader which I always check when threading it up through the rings. If it looks rough, re-tie a new one.
I acquired a length of motorcycle inner tube which, cut up into bands, is ideal to stretch over & retain the line on the F/S reel spools.
Only time I’ve ever taped a spool is when travelling to Norway but that’s been multipliers.

I think all my FS have the little clip on the spool to hold the end of the line.

Mind you, I shouldn’t think tape would damage line as it’s only a bit of adhesive?

Only time I’ve ever taped a spool is when travelling to Norway but that’s been multipliers.

I think all my FS have the little clip on the spool to hold the end of the line.

Mind you, I shouldn’t think tape would damage line as it’s only a bit of adhesive?
Tape is too much of a faff, and the little clips on the F/S reel spools never seem to hold the line for long, hence my mention of bands made from motorcycle inner tube which stretch over the spool of a F/S spool nicely.

Tape is too much of a faff, and the little clips on the F/S reel spools never seem to hold the line for long, hence my mention of bands made from motorcycle inner tube which stretch over the spool of a F/S spool nicely.
They’re fiddly but they work, albeit might need a bit of fiddling at the end

They aren't meant for that :whistle: they're distance clips to hold the running line so when coarse fishing you can repeatedly cast to exactly the same pre-baited spot.

All the tip rings on my rods are 12mm so I have a 60lb swivel as I use a 60lb leader attached with a breakaway fastlink through that…comes through the eyes easily and keeps line tidy on my multiplier …simples

All the tip rings on my rods are 12mm so I have a 60lb swivel as I use a 60lb leader attached with a breakaway fastlink through that…comes through the eyes easily and keeps line tidy on my multiplier …simples
I'll have to try and remember to measure the tip ring diameters on my Conti rods sometime, but sure they are much less than 12mm.

They aren't meant for that :whistle: they're distance clips to hold the running line so when coarse fishing you can repeatedly cast to exactly the same pre-baited spot.
That's been adapted as one of their uses yes, but it's not the reason they were added to spools in the 1st place.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back