• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Ability to switch rigs quickly

Everyone to their own Fishy! Those Breakaway links are good, but I find them a bit fiddly for my old Paws!
Never had one of those American snap swivels come undone.

I have used one type (probably a cheapo make) that was useless after a single session as in post 16.

But i use something similar for quick lure changes, and they are ok.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: But never fully tested by a 10lb bass...............YET;);)

I have used one type (probably a cheapo make) that was useless after a single session as in post 16.

But i use something similar for quick lure changes, and they are ok.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: But never fully tested by a 10lb bass...............YET;);)
I find with them you only need to catch them wrong and the arm pops out.
It’s not so much the strength of the component for me, although some of the cheaper smaller ones aren’t great, it’s the mechanism

I find with them you only need to catch them wrong and the arm pops out.
It’s not so much the strength of the component for me, although some of the cheaper smaller ones aren’t great, it’s the mechanism
Yes i found one with a good way for hooking lure on, it was simple and strong, nothing like them slip over and slip in types.

I was introduced to the Breakaway fastlinks for offshore wrecking, the idea being you can have one on every corner of your flying collar boom and very quickly change lures, leads or set up again.

I soon realised they offered just as good a quick change option for shore fishing.

On the wrecking side I’ve had cod to 16lb and pollack to 18lb on them, so am pretty confident in the strength of them.

Might not use them for tope or big eel fishing, not that I do either, but for 95% of my shore fishing they work well.

I was introduced to the Breakaway fastlinks for offshore wrecking, the idea being you can have one on every corner of your flying collar boom and very quickly change lures, leads or set up again.

I soon realised they offered just as good a quick change option for shore fishing.

On the wrecking side I’ve had cod to 16lb and pollack to 18lb on them, so am pretty confident in the strength of them.

Might not use them for tope or big eel fishing, not that I do either, but for 95% of my shore fishing they work well.
I am a bit similar to OP's grandad, loops for me small loop on main line to swivel and larger one to rig to slip through swivel, old school but simple and less things to fail.

I am a bit similar to OP's grandad, loops for me small loop on main line to swivel and larger one to rig to slip through swivel, old school but simple and less things to fail.
Trouble with loops is it’s a knot so potentially a weaker point but more so, it’ll see a lot of movement and abrasion that could end in a lost fish.

Trouble with loops is it’s a knot so potentially a weaker point but more so, it’ll see a lot of movement and abrasion that could end in a lost fish.
To be honest i have never had any problems with loops.

I recently lost full rig/set up for redgill on the braid knot, i used a strengthened type of blood knot which failed

Just got me tackle out ;) ;)

From left, the first 2 rubbish, i use the one type or very similar to attach lures if i need to change quick.

1719945552164.png

From left, the first 2 rubbish, i use the one type or very similar to attach lures if i need to change quick.

View attachment 66432
They’re better but I wouldn’t overly trust them. Depends how big really and how stiff (ooer!)
The middle one would be a light lead link at best for me

They’re better but I wouldn’t overly trust them. Depends how big really and how stiff (ooer!)
The middle one would be a light lead link at best for me
the right hand one is a stiffy

The other 2 are not even scrap material.

the right hand one is a stiffy

The other 2 are not even scrap material.
I used to use the very left type, I think as a lead link, it was a long long time ago.
They seemed stiff then and did the job but then whether they changed them I don’t know, but I started to find them popping open and stopped using them.

Wouldn’t set it up like that now but was early in my angling ‘career’ then

View attachment 66432
The one on the far right is a coastline. Good quality ones are used for serious fishing for big game, cheap ones are as shyte as the 1st two pictured.
Personally for UK I use genuine Breakaway Fastlinks, Minilinks and the Spinlink depending on size and breaking strain required. They have never let me down. Copies I wouldn't trust tbh

Looks like a bit of a minefield haha, what brands / vendors are regarded as decent?

Size 5 - 80lb Berkley cross-lok snap swivel, just small enough to go through most tip rings.

Attachments

• P7080002.JPG
    P7080002.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 9
I use what are often known as 'American snap swivels'. As you said, tie a loop in the main line, pass it through the swivel eye, then pull the link back through the loop. Need to be able to remove mine every time, as the tip eyes on my rods are small, and the lnks won't pass through them.

Never ever ever use one of those. They’re bloody dangerous.

Fast links for me. I can hit a 200 gram weight with no worries about them opening up.

Last edited:
Personally I never really understood why people leave clips or swivels tied to the leader and wind them through the rings.

My leaders get checked every time they’re threaded onto the rod and I wouldn’t fancy leaving a knot on there that had spent several hours rolling around on an abrasive seabed.

Aside from that, it takes seconds to tie a new knot each time.

Personally I never really understood why people leave clips or swivels tied to the leader and wind them through the rings.

My leaders get checked every time they’re threaded onto the rod and I wouldn’t fancy leaving a knot on there that had spent several hours rolling around on an abrasive seabed.

Aside from that, it takes seconds to tie a new knot each time.
I always re-tie the knot at the clip and check the strength of the leader knot. Also check the leader and if there’s any hint of damage it gets binned.

Swivel tied to shock leader.
Rigs tied with a Gemini link top and bottom.
Bottom attached to the lead, top attached to the swivel.
Spare rig baited up ready to be swapped over as soon as you reel in.

Stick with the tried and trusted brands like Gemini and breakaway for links and swivels.

Snap swivels are ok for lowering over a pier or the side of a boat.
Possibly gently flicking out underarm.
I would not trust them for beach casting, even for an overhead thump.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back