• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Ability to switch rigs quickly

SteveKent

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all,

This may be a bit of a silly question but hoping someone can help me as cant find much on YT or the net.

I was taught (maybe incorrectly) by my grandfather that to connect your rig, first you need to tie a perfection loop at the end of your line, then push the loop through the swivel and then pull the rig back through the loop creating like a slipknot

2 issues is one the rig is not fixed securely as can slide up and down the loop, and it can be quite time consuming / clumsy to keep working out what needs pulling back through to remove the rig etc especially when you have cold / numb fingers.

Is there a better way of tying the rigs to your main line?
Maybe a clip to quickly disconnect and reconnect new rigs?

How do you guys do it?

I use what are often known as 'American snap swivels'. As you said, tie a loop in the main line, pass it through the swivel eye, then pull the link back through the loop. Need to be able to remove mine every time, as the tip eyes on my rods are small, and the lnks won't pass through them.

I use what are often known as 'American snap swivels'. As you said, tie a loop in the main line, pass it through the swivel eye, then pull the link back through the loop. Need to be able to remove mine every time, as the tip eyes on my rods are small, and the lnks won't pass through them.

This is still so much neater than trying to pull the whole rig through your loop :D

Looks like the tackle box needs some new bits and bobs!

Gemini rig clip on end of leader for me. Tie all my own rigs with power swivel on the end

These pass through my 12mm tip guide ( with care) without the need to cut them off at the end of every sesh.

Trusted to withstand casting unlike some cheaper options.

Last edited:
I mostly tie a loop on mono, loop the swivel on and go from there.

Easy to tie loads on the swivel by another loop.

Only different for me if using running ledger, i like to keep things as easy as possible.

This is still so much neater than trying to pull the whole rig through your loop :D

The eBay link i mentioned was only the first one that popped up - there may be cheaper/better options.
The 1/0 & 2/0 sizes in that link are rated at 35Kgs or 75Lbs, so should be strong enough for most situations.

I mostly tie a loop on mono, loop the swivel on and go from there.

Easy to tie loads on the swivel by another loop.

Only different for me if using running ledger, i like to keep things as easy as possible.

if i am changing different lures i will just loop a short length of mono both ends with loop and fix one of them or similar on the buisness end and loop the other through my initial swivel.

I know its doubled swiveled but far easy for me if i wanted to slip a feathered rig on the initial swivel.

I rarely use those for anything other than lead links because they can and do pop out on occasion.

Wouldn’t want to risk it if I hooked a bass of a lifetime or whatever

I rarely use those for anything other than lead links because they can and do pop out on occasion.

Everyone to their own Fishy! Those Breakaway links are good, but I find them a bit fiddly for my old Paws!
Never had one of those American snap swivels come undone.

Gemini rig clip on end of leader for me. Tie all my own rigs with power swivel on the end

These pass through my 12mm tip guide ( with care) without the need to cut them off at the end of every sesh.

Trusted to withstand casting unlike some cheaper options.
Same here

I would not use line connected to them but do use a similar type to change lures quickly.

Cheap ones are rubbish and if you ever use them, throw them away after one session.

I would never use them,seen them unclip/straighten whilst casting 6oz lead.
When I say for lead links I mean for estuary rigs or wrassing when it’s just a simple lob, I wouldn’t use them on the beach with 5/6oz leads.
Should have made that clear but posted quickly between watering the outside pots, lol

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back