• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

?

Anyone use one I've always used a finger stall but finding it difficult holding onto the line especially when using bigger leads + baits been told they can be a bit snatchy on the release what's your thoughts
I've got and use 2 on different rods. I love 'em. They seem to give a much more positive release of the line when casting, and whilst some may disagree, I thonk they have slightly improved my casting distance due to the more accurate line release. Whilst I love Breakaway tackle, there are some copies of the cannon available on eBay that are just as good & near half the price. ??

Take a look at the FS trigger.
@poledark makes them.
Don't know if he has come over yet....

As above, if you can't find Poledark though try a breakaway thumb button. Same sort of thing but not as tough. Being thumb releases they are much more intuitive and easier to time than the cannon type.

Like them a lot but I have never used the Poledark version. I did hear of early life failures on the cheap versions so bought the real thing but I would have thought getting the cheap one to see if you like the concept would be a good idea. I like to mount mine under the butt, level with or slightly inside the spool lip, also packed out so that the device is as close to the spool as possible without fouling the rotor. After much test casting I found moving the Cannon slightly around the butt to approximately where my left index finger grips naturally fishing reel down. Took me about three chucks to dial my line release in and I am only using braid. I hated the Breakaway thumb buttons found them snatchy.

I did watch a video recently where the person was taking three wraps around the rod and holding it on a foam ring. Can't find it now.

Never tried it G. Don't have a spongy bit on any of the rods I have. You are wrapping braid around a wee stub though on both of the release devices being discussed.
I might give it a go though, not a power caster anyway, good old oht for me.

Never tried it G. Don't have a spongy bit on any of the rods I have. You are wrapping braid around a wee stub though on both of the release devices being discussed.
I might give it a go though, not a power caster anyway, good old oht for me.

Jim, who is doing the casting in Den's videos knows how to swing a lead and hit big distances and has not had an issue with the trigger.

Jim, who is doing the casting in Den's videos knows how to swing a lead and hit big distances and has not had an issue with the trigger.
I use braid on freshwater and don't use anything on finger same when sea lure with braid, but not in the same weight range as bait. So far happy using finger stall, but then I have only ever fished with fixed spools.

is that Jeremy schrader doing the talking in that video?
In the FS Trigger video, the caster is Jim Shave, old forum name of Jimbo Jones
The video is filmed and narrated by Dennis Darkin.

A piece of aluminium tube cut and shaped. Your fingers close to spool so you dont get jerky casts

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 16
use a fingerstall for most of my fishing these are mainly for skate fishing where your casting 7....8oz plus bait = 20oz+ gets to be a bit difficult holding everything with one finger
Thst is a fair weight to be flinging about! You maybe need one of those bait boats that the carp lads use. :unsure:

Thst is a fair weight to be flinging about! You maybe need one of those bait boats that the carp lads use. :unsure:
I thought about building something like that as a lockdown project - small multiplier on the stern for towing lures around! The idea is still 'under development' within my little grey cells!

make it a bit bigger so you can sit in it
Haha! If only. If I had the room I've love a small boat but no off-road parking & a 3ft garden gate.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back