• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Cogden, I would stay well clear!

squidword

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As tides and conditions looked perfect I thought I'd try cogden yesterday. Arrived to find two boats going up and down around 100 yards out, one was definitely a trawler, the other not sure? As I'd paid to park and spent plenty on bait I stayed and hoped they move out which they did. Surprisingly I managed a couple of small plaice early doors. However the boats soon reappeared, with one boat either a netter or Potter? Dropped a line of nets/pots around 80 yards out if that, from bexy to cogden. Unfortunately for me he went right over my lines, and fortunately managed to prevent my rods from being dragged in and as you can imagine lost all my line and end gear. I tried one cast afterwards on my spare reel but snagged the net unsurprisingly. So an expensive day! Parking, fuel, 50 quid on bait. I don't think I'll bother fishing chesil until much later in the year. Shame these selfishScreenshot_20240423_183751_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpgindividuals will spoil it for everyone, plus will be a danger to swimmers/bathers. I've got nothing against them making a living but why so close? I won't be spending my money down there, nor will any of my friends/family, enough is enough.

Swines. There should be a rule for no pots/nets within, say, 300 metres of the shoreline all around the UK.
There were pots or something set to catch the Wrasse for the Scottish Salmon farms about 50 metres off my favourite Pier mark here.
Not been down there for 6 months, so don't know if they are still there.

As tides and conditions looked perfect I thought I'd try cogden yesterday. Arrived to find two boats going up and down around 100 yards out, one was definitely a trawler, the other not sure? As I'd paid to park and spent plenty on bait I stayed and hoped they move out which they did. Surprisingly I managed a couple of small plaice early doors. However the boats soon reappeared, with one boat either a netter or Potter? Dropped a line of nets/pots around 80 yards out if that, from bexy to cogden. Unfortunately for me he went right over my lines, and fortunately managed to prevent my rods from being dragged in and as you can imagine lost all my line and end gear. I tried one cast afterwards on my spare reel but snagged the net unsurprisingly. So an expensive day! Parking, fuel, 50 quid on bait. I don't think I'll bother fishing chesil until much later in the year. Shame these selfishView attachment 62784individuals will spoil it for everyone, plus will be a danger to swimmers/bathers. I've got nothing against them making a living but why so close? I won't be spending my money down there, nor will any of my friends/family, enough is enough.
I believe I was fishing next to you ( you stopped for a chat when you packed up)
I stayed till a couple of hours after HW and didn't have a bite all day !

I believe I was fishing next to you ( you stopped for a chat when you packed up)
I stayed till a couple of hours after HW and didn't have a bite all day !
Nice to meet you! Shame you didn't get your plaice 😔. If you need any help on the BC just message me 👍I'll do my best to put you on the target fish.

Six once lead through the wheelhouse, casting practice for me. Fecking tossers.:mad:

Ian.

That red boats out of Westbay he’s a right c u next Tuesday hope the spiders wreak his nets
I had a go at trying to find out some more info, but can't see the number on the Boat in Squiddy's photo, and drew a blank.
There are ways & means to find out who owns it, given the number & where it's registered to.

Six once lead through the wheelhouse, casting practice for me. Fecking tossers.:mad:

Ian.
We did that at dungeness. Same thing. Skipper came back later to have a go but thought better of it as there were several angry anglers that lost tackle to his netting within casting range

I had a go at trying to find out some more info, but can't see the number on the Boat in Squiddy's photo, and drew a blank.
There are ways & means to find out who owns it, given the number & where it's registered to.
Screenshot_20240424_171521_Chrome.jpg
That's the boat.

Ah, thanks for that.
PW is a Padstow registration code, not that it means much, as they don't seem to change the registration if the boat moves home port.
I'll see what else I can find out, but might not have time until tomorrow.

Ah, thanks for that.
PW is a Padstow registration code, not that it means much, as they don't seem to change the registration if the boat moves home port.
I'll see what else I can find out, but might not have time until tomorrow.
From what I can quickly find out,

Fishing vessel list of 10 metres and under vessels as at 1 April 2024:

Administrative portHome portPort letters and numberVessel nameRegistry of Shipping and Seamen numberLicence number
POOLEWEST BAYPW214THOMAS ANDREWC1836224583

From what I can quickly find out,

Fishing vessel list of 10 metres and under vessels as at 1 April 2024:

Administrative portHome portPort letters and numberVessel nameRegistry of Shipping and Seamen numberLicence number
POOLEWEST BAYPW214THOMAS ANDREWC1836224583
Also, no AIS reports for 305 days, so he's hiding his fishing.

Seems to be targetting Whelks.

Last edited:
Also, no AIS reports for 305 days, so he's hiding his fishing.

Seems to be targetting Whelks.
He certainly wasn't targeting whelks last year down there in September when i saw he was unloading basket fulls of sole, plaice etc . I've seen him setting his nets in the past and I'm no commercial fisherman but I thought you used pots for whelks.
Screenshot_20240424_173032_Chrome.jpg
This is what the boat was originally doing albeit back in 2007. If I've done my research correctly then trawling or tangle netting isn't allowed that close to shore.

He certainly wasn't targeting whelks last year down there in September when i saw he was unloading basket fulls of sole, plaice etc . I've seen him setting his nets in the past and I'm no commercial fisherman but I thought you used pots for whelks.
View attachment 62805
This is what the boat was originally doing albeit back in 2007. If I've done my research correctly then trawling or tangle netting isn't allowed that close to shore.

I was only going by what I could quickly find out.
I saw a mention of the category of his fishing licence and it said Whelks.
There was also this photo on Fishing News of Whelks being unloaded from the Thomas Andrew at West bay. Just gone back and checked the date of the article, and it was May 2021, so a little out of date.

1713978363818.jpeg

Swines. There should be a rule for no pots/nets within, say, 300 metres of the shoreline all around the UK.
There were pots or something set to catch the Wrasse for the Scottish Salmon farms about 50 metres off my favourite Pier mark here.
I thought they had to be a half mile off shore

I was only going by what I could quickly find out.
I saw a mention of the category of his fishing licence and it said Whelks.
There was also this photo on Fishing News of Whelks being unloaded from the Thomas Andrew at West bay. Just gone back and checked the date of the article, and it was May 2021, so a little out of date.

View attachment 62806

Certainly looks like a "Tosser".. ;)

Ian.

As expected there are hundreds of regulations about netting covering pages. I had a quick look and it looks like Cogden is within the Lyme Bay Net Restriction Area which I think covers up to a mile out. However then there are exemptions with permits etc etc and its not clear if he was netting. There's a good chance he was as I couldn't see him dropping pots. Whatever he was doing he finished right infront of squid and dropped a buoy

Back