• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Which fastlink clips are stronger ,Seadra X Strong or Breakaway

What breaking strain are you looking for? Breakaway do an extra strong Fastlink but they are quite large/heavy for the (100 - 130mm) average UK lure....search YouTube and you'll find instructions to easily make them at home to your own requirements

Pretty straight forward question guys...

Breakaway is 80lb... is seadra x stronger ? I can't find specs on it..

What breaking strain are you looking for? Breakaway do an extra strong Fastlink but they are quite large/heavy for the (100 - 130mm) average UK lure....search YouTube and you'll find instructions to easily make them at home to your own requirements
I've made all sorts of fishing bits & bobs with some 1.6mm stainless steel wire and a set of stepped jewellery pliers.

You do need to make sure you've got a quality set of cutters for the stainless steel wire.

As posted on your other thread elsewhere, I’ve had no issue with the Breakaway, never tried the Seadra.

That said I wouldn’t use them for seriously big fish ie in Norway, but have landed various species to over 20lb on them.

As posted on your other thread elsewhere, I’ve had no issue with the Breakaway, never tried the Seadra.

That said I wouldn’t use them for seriously big fish ie in Norway, but have landed various species to over 20lb on them.
Yep. But I am trying to get to the bottom of which are stronger seadra or breakway..

Appears nobody knows

Breakaway list their breaking strength as do Tactical Anglers.

But I can't find any info on seadra and they don't appear to have a website..

Have edited the title to make it clearer which info I am after. Original title was bit misleading

I use Gemini Super Strength Link Clips.

Ian.

My guess would be that they're not listing the breaking strain as it may not be as good as breakaway ones?
Seems odd that seadra doesn't have a website aswell.

Best way to find out it to buy a pack of each and see how much force it takes to pull one open.
You may buy both packs and find you prefer how one works over the other aswell.

I've got packs of different lead clips that all look alike but prefer certain ones as they seem stronger and they spring back and keep a swivel on better (different to the clips you're asking about).

Yes will buy both (and the atom) and try them all out.

Veals says the seadra X are stronger but don't actually know what the breaking strain is specced at..
I had a quick look earlier this morning and I couldn't find any breaking strain for the Seadra ones either.
Personally, I'd sooner trust a brand I know to be good IE Breakaway.

Seadra is Veals own brand of tackle, FYI - probably not much help :)
It is some help Mike - it sort of explains why nobody can find a Seadra website!

Seadra is Veals own brand of tackle, FYI - probably not much help :)
That explains the arbitrary 'is stronger ' statement without having an actual breaking strain..

I was kind of sceptical when they said it without any sort of empirical data..

I will repeat - what breaking strain are you looking for? Perhaps you could tell us what your intended use is? You certainly could try making your own out of SS welding wire, it's widely available across the globe and wire forming can be done with rudimentary tools and jigs you can make yourself. Loom it up. You could also try asking Breakaway for the various Spinlink to Fastlink specifications seeing as they invented them. Or just use split rings, Owner make some exceptionally strong ones and state their strength on the packet. There are alternatives like coastlocks etc etc

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back