• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Where does a river end and the sea start for rod license purposes

As I understand it, the boundary between the sea and a river is the 'Normal Tidal Limit', (NTL). This is often marked on 1:25000 OS maps. These maps are viewable by using bing maps and selecting the 'OS' display mode. For example, the Leven at Renton, as mentioned above, is shown here:

View attachment 64506

See the Wikipedia article 'Head of Tide'. Also the info on marine licensing at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/marine-licensing-definitions

I can't see anything specific on the EA web site. A good idea to check with local tackle shops (if there are any) or local clubs.
Great post/advice thanks @JohnL

Yep I was referring to rivers, not the open coast, but our local river is tidal to a point (obviously) and at the extreme reaches there will be a mix of sea and game/coarse fish.
More game tbh

But as you say, as long as you’re using sea gear to target sea fish, and it’s tidal, should be fine
What determines sea fishing gear from course? I use similar set up for say Mullet...

Some are same some are different. 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

I would reckon if you had a 6ft rod that would wind a car in, it would not be classed as a course rod;);)
? "... wind a car in ..." ?

What determines sea fishing gear from course? I use similar set up for say Mullet...
True, so do I on occasion. Well, as long as you’re targeting sea fish then.

I’d say generally speaking there’s not going to be huge overlap - as far as I know?
In a tidal river if it’s not mullet, bass or flounder I’d think you’re more likely to encounter game fish than coarse?

If you were fishing further upstream and it wasn’t tidal, chances are you’re lying your arse off and the bailiff would know that.

True, so do I on occasion. Well, as long as you’re targeting sea fish then.

I’d say generally speaking there’s not going to be huge overlap - as far as I know?
In a tidal river if it’s not mullet, bass or flounder I’d think you’re more likely to encounter game fish than coarse?

If you were fishing further upstream and it wasn’t tidal, chances are you’re lying your arse off and the bailiff would know that.

One of the places here where I've seem a lot of Mullet is Lopwell on the river Tavy. It has a weir and a ford you can drive across at low tide, so I guess andwhere downstream, which is tidal you could sea fish, and upstream you would need a licence. Not many places have such clear divisions between sea & coarse I guess.

1724652121785.png

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back