• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice TSR or Blue Yonder

wingnut55

TSF Supporter
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As title, if you had a choice, would you have the Abu 6500i TSR or the Abu 6500 Blue Yonder, the mag-trax version, not the early non magged version. ?

Ian.

Last edited:
As title, if you had a choice, would you have the Abu 6500i TSR or the Abu 6500 Blue Yonder, the mag-trax version, not the early non magged version. ?

Ian.
Neither are that great but the TSR that was supposedly the Ambassadeur flagship model was very second rate and suffers all sorts of issues. Many suffer spool/cage contact and they have a stainless steel pinion gear against a stainless steel spindle which is prone to seizing if not cleaned and lubed regularly. It also looks a bit camp if I'm being honest :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Neither are that great but the TSR that was supposedly the Ambassadeur flagship model was very second rate and suffers all sorts of issues. Many suffer spool/cage contact and they have a stainless steel pinion gear against a stainless steel spindle which is prone to seizing if not cleaned and lubed regularly. It also looks a bit camp if I'm being honest :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks Russ, value your opinion. (y)

Ian.

I think I had the one tsr that was decent.
Never ceased, never pinched line and worked spot on.
Used to cane it, when the cod were about.....

I think I had the one tsr that was decent.
Never ceased, never pinched line and worked spot on.
Used to cane it, when the cod were about.....
Thanks Shirl, having read various threads on WSF on both reels, seems mixed opinions so far. Might just have to buy one of each and make my own judgement. (y)

Ian.

I wouldn't choose either as fishing reels to be honest Ian. Or are you looking at these reels for collecting? The TSR I bought was poorly finished with sharp edges to the cage, so it went back and I gave up on ABU multies for fishing. Blue Yonders? Pah, just tarted up same-old from the once mighty brand imo.
For what can only be hoarder reasons, I've held on to some original green Mag Elites and pair in 'Florida orange' but I never use them. One of these days I'll perhaps get around to selling them, the unused SportsMags and all the field reels I've squirreled away. It's an affliction 🫣

I wouldn't choose either as fishing reels to be honest Ian. Or are you looking at these reels for collecting? The TSR I bought was poorly finished with sharp edges to the cage, so it went back and I gave up on ABU multies for fishing. Blue Yonders? Pah, just tarted up same-old from the once mighty brand imo.
For what can only be hoarder reasons, I've held on to some original green Mag Elites and pair in 'Florida orange' but I never use them. One of these days I'll perhaps get around to selling them, the unused SportsMags and all the field reels I've squirreled away. It's an affliction 🫣
More collecting to be honest mate, but i do use Chrome Rockets, probably the best reels Abu made in my opinion. And your right, I am guilty of being a tackle hoarder like yourself.

Ian.

The chromed brass sideplates were good imo Russ. Certainly took your monomag conversions well. As for the inards well once a field reel 'tune' was made up the guts hardly mattered, nor were they there long as the tinkering never stopped 😉

The chromed brass sideplates were good imo Russ. Certainly took your monomag conversions well. As for the inards well once a field reel 'tune' was made up the guts hardly mattered, nor were they there long as the tinkering never stopped 😉
The Chromes were a good reel ... but they were not really the Swedish product that the old ones were.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back