• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sole beads

Just saying what works for me..... I am interested in by catch. Happy to fish next to anyone using size 4 hooks n 10 inch hook lengths any day :-)
In any event I would prefer fresh blacks to anything rig wise..... the biggest sole I have ever seen took a 6/0 pennel in a 2m sea in daylight. Get the bait right first.
Thanks again for your insight, I'm also comming to the conclusion it's all about the bait.

I the bristol channel it doesn't seem to matter what you use, but bait definitely is the deciding factor. They will take blow lug, but far and away the best bait is double king rag, the bigger, the better. 9 times out of 10 they will swallow it out of site. Sometimes they will also take peeler or squid. Everywhere else I favour a 3 hook clip down, size 4s or 2s, blacks or blow lug, short hook links, moving lead. I once had 6 x 2lb and 1 x 1lb12oz sole in a daylight session at West Bexington all on ragworm, plus a similar session at Cogden on crab, but I tend to avoid ragworm as it attracts way to many strap congers. I've also had sole on long flowing rigs with loads of beads fishing for spring plaice in daylight on chesil. I've also had them on pop up beads, I try to avoid illuminous ones though as the dogs have a real passion for those 😂. The most important thing for sole fishing for me are tide (size and state) and conditions, followed by bait.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back