• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sole beads

nearly70ty

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
H gents,
I'm wodering if any of you noticed if beads and specifically colour or coloured combo, size ect have any effect on sole catches. Most flatfish seem to be attracted to beads and colours I've found dabs like a luminous bead, flounders white or yellow, plaice black and green. Any thought's would be greatly appreciated.

H gents,
I'm wodering if any of you noticed if beads and specifically colour or coloured combo, size ect have any effect on sole catches. Most flatfish seem to be attracted to beads and colours I've found dabs like a luminous bead, flounders white or yellow, plaice black and green. Any thought's would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.mikeladle.com/ There is information here on sole.

I’ve used all sorts of rigs for soles over 40 ish years and I think it’s all about putting your bait where the soles are and nothing more than that. I’ve never used beads on sole rigs and my mate Phil, who’s nickname is Sole Man, hasn’t used beads either. I’ve used all sorts of rigs, but by far the most successful is a three hook paternoster with snoods around 9 to 10 inches. Phil catches a lot of sole on rigs with long snoods, 3 feet or longer. Soles are very localised and I’ve spotted sole scrapes on beaches in tight groups, with large areas not having any scrapes. Another very successful method I’ve found to catch all flatfish, including soles is to cast out around 60/70 yards and every couple of minutes wind in 2 or 3 feet of line. This brings the bait to the fish which don’t move around much. A continental rod with a fixed spool is perfect for this type of fishing.

Last edited:
Great advice thanks, if you don't mind me asking what does a sole scrape look like, a picture would be ace.

Great advice thanks, if you don't mind me asking what does a sole scrape look like, a picture would be ace.
I knew I’d taken some photos of some. Of course other flatfish do similar, but this photo was taken at the height of sole season and on the beach where we catch them.

IMG_0690.jpeg

Just to add yet another foot note I was out this evenning trying the same rigs as before one with beads and one without I had another two soles but this time on the rigs without the beads. So basically they just like worms lol.

I use four small stainless beads on each hook length.
I catch more than my share of sole.... I like a loop rig for them.
Including the odd whopper!
Thanks for the reply, and not that I'm doubting you in any way, but your favorite loop rig goes against the normal advice to keep snoods short and anchored on the sea bed.

Thanks for the reply, and not that I'm doubting you in any way, but your favorite loop rig goes against the normal advice to keep snoods short and anchored on the sea bed.
Just saying what works for me..... I am interested in by catch. Happy to fish next to anyone using size 4 hooks n 10 inch hook lengths any day :-)
In any event I would prefer fresh blacks to anything rig wise..... the biggest sole I have ever seen took a 6/0 pennel in a 2m sea in daylight. Get the bait right first.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back