• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Rod Rest

Bobthefloat

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Can anyone recommend a good ish budget rod rest for beach fishing to get me started please.
I've got rods reels and tackle just missing the rest for the rods!
I've been looking on Ebay and amazon but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Ian golds tripods have been the best for years but there not cheap . There is a brand called parkers that are very similar to the Ian golds but not as pricey . Shakespeare do a good one but apparently it's heavy . If you dont wanna stretch to a golds one try a parkers

Well done! As @Reevsey said, shakespeare are good (I've got one) but they are a bit heavy. Depends how far you need to carry it I guess.
I picked mine up on the local Gumtree for £30 2nd hand, only used once before I got it.
Being a bit heavier made, if it gets pulled over, which has happened a couple of times, it hasn't suffered any damage.
Good to keep an eye on your local Gumtree for bargains, I usually take a peek on there at least once a day.

I've been down this road so many times before, what in the hell makes Ian Golds rods rests so good? I have owned two in the past and cannot fathom why people bang on about them. Oh they are so light they say and that's about the height of it.Yet that makes them the best for some reason?
Really a few grams makes the difference? Are ye mice or men? Ian Golds is a money making exercise brought on by match anglers. Sick till death of guys stating that a tripod can be made better by sticking and IG sticker on it and charging way over price for it.

Well done Bobthefloat for not falling for the hoard mentality and buying a parker😎

So come on somebody tell me what manufacturing process, what exotic material, what? Has to be something about IG rests that makes them way better than all the rest, and don't give me longevity as they last no longer than any other tripod I have owned. Just don't get me started please😄

Mark...

I have this one.

It is now made by DAM under their name.Did not pay that price though,only £11.55 plus postage on the bay(auction).I do have an Ian Golds one but prefer the Imax.Lighter and collapses to 4ft to fit in the boot.

Last edited:
This is almost identical to the Imax/DAM models but cheaper.

I've been down this road so many times before, what in the hell makes Ian Golds rods rests so good? I have owned two in the past and cannot fathom why people bang on about them. Oh they are so light they say and that's about the height of it.Yet that makes them the best for some reason?
Really a few grams makes the difference? Are ye mice or men? Ian Golds is a money making exercise brought on by match anglers. Sick till death of guys stating that a tripod can be made better by sticking and IG sticker on it and charging way over price for it.

Well done Bobthefloat for not falling for the hoard mentality and buying a parker😎

So come on somebody tell me what manufacturing process, what exotic material, what? Has to be something about IG rests that makes them way better than all the rest, and don't give me longevity as they last no longer than any other tripod I have owned. Just don't get me started please😄

Mark...
So what makes the Parker one better does it last longer or is it just the money saving aspect. Perhaps it’s because he’s a one man band and overheads are lower as to why he is cheaper. At the end of the day people recommend what they use and prefer from experience and using such products. Yes I have a golds one a salt one Parker and imax one all do the job so anyone picked from them will do the job 😉

Mark...

I wouldn't let the issues of a rod rest raise my blood pressure Fed😉 I've recommended IG rests as I've had 30 years hard use out of mine (using a Parker leg lock and some homemade attachments). Put simply they are excellent for what I want. Others are available, so you takes your pick. I'm certainly not a match angler btw

I like my Golds, have two and both still going although the leg lock always needs replacing after a while.

I suppose there’s nothing super special about them but they do what I want. Parker sounds okay too tbf.

Much of my fishing is mobile and the Salt or the MTI (if you can find one now) are way too heavy for what I need.

I wouldn't let the issues of a rod rest raise my blood pressure Fed😉 I've recommended IG rests as I've had 30 years hard use out of mine (using a Parker leg lock and some homemade attachments). Put simply they are excellent for what I want. Others are available, so you takes your pick. I'm certainly not a match angler btw
You sure your not a match angler Topwater? Haha.
Once again it's not so much the rodrest itself 🤪 it's the principle of it. In this day and age no one seems to question anymore.
Yes I'm suppose I'm am just an older fart nowadays with a sense of values that seem to have been left by the wayside.

But at least I don't fall over.
Old school IG rodrest guys will get the joke lol.

Mark...😎👍😎

Last edited:
I own an MTI rodrest and with a small modification it's as handy as a handy thing. I drilled the mount where the front legs tie in with the rear leg, and another two holes in the rear leg, when it's very windy or when I'm on the rocks i can splay the legs out really wide by having three different settings.This brings the rest and rods closer to the ground, but still having a large area between the three legs.This type of DIY improvement is far more beneficial to my fishing than a name brand. The MTI is the most versatile rest I have used.
Not because it's an MTI solely.
Mainly because of the size it extends to but also the five minute modification.

Pity the MTI is no longer made as I would have a second one no problem🤪

Mark...

Correct me if I' am wrong🥴 but does that say 160 squids an 40squid postage? Sorry I'm going te have te go have a wee lay down😄
Still one available here Mark.

😂😂😂😂😂;)
Why I oughta hahaha.

And that perhaps explains your aversion to the IG Fed? As I mostly fish on flatish sand, wading out to around knee depth and progressively moving with the tide, the added weight and adjustability of likes of Salt/MTI/Imax tripods doesn't make sense for me. With a 10m + tidal range here, light weight and ease of setting up/moving are of greatest priority. I do have an unbranded Salt style tripod for forays onto rocks etc but it is heavy and doesn't fold away fully without taking bits off and using the crappy carry bag. 98% of the time I pick the IG because its all I need and is perfect for the job. Horses for courses 👍

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back