• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Penn Prevail III Beach Rod ?

So do you want to sell that little Quantum Baitcaster reel @Trampster !? ;) Also (trying to be open-minded re reels), apart from your Penn Surfblaster, may I ask whether there are any other go-to fixed reels you would highly recommend (should I come across them new or 2nd-hand) ?
They’re not surf or beach fishing reels, they’re very small multis for shorter casts with light gear whether lure or bait.
Popular in the US and I think pike anglers use them a fair bit.

So do you want to sell that little Quantum Baitcaster reel @Trampster !? ;) Also (trying to be open-minded re reels), apart from your Penn Surfblaster, may I ask whether there are any other go-to fixed reels you would highly recommend (should I come across them new or 2nd-hand) ?
No I don't really want to part with the quantum, it was a gift from a close friend who is sadly no longer with us. Because of the sentimental value, I wouldn't sell it unless someone waved an obscene amount of money at me!
There are 5 for sale on eBay UK for around $30, but sadly they are all in the USA and the postage is nearly as much as the reel.

1717403151524.jpeg

My problem with Multipliers and the baitcaster is that I've never managed to train my thumb to brake the spool! Just doesn't come naturally to me!

As for other reels, during the height of Covid Lockdown I couldn't get a new Surfblaster for love for money, and 2nd hand were fetching silly prices, so bought a new Mitchell Blue Water RZ 9000 - that has done me well. Penn & Mitchell both belong to Pure Fishing, so the same company. The only other reel I have got which I like is an Okuma baitrunner 5000 - good on a float rod.

From reading comments on here and other sites over time, Diawa & Shimano also seem to be the favourite to go for. I've got 2 3000's & a 4000 Shimano reel for the lure rod. They are only the cheaper versions, but have been very good.

Like Rods, Reels and Tackle in general, it a personal thing as to which folk prefer.

No I don't really want to part with the quantum, it was a gift from a close friend who is sadly no longer with us. Because of the sentimental value, I wouldn't sell it unless someone waved an obscene amount of money at me!
There are 5 for sale on eBay UK for around $30, but sadly they are all in the USA and the postage is nearly as much as the reel.

View attachment 64960

My problem with Multipliers and the baitcaster is that I've never managed to train my thumb to brake the spool! Just doesn't come naturally to me!

As for other reels, during the height of Covid Lockdown I couldn't get a new Surfblaster for love for money, and 2nd hand were fetching silly prices, so bought a new Mitchell Blue Water RZ 9000 - that has done me well. Penn & Mitchell both belong to Pure Fishing, so the same company. The only other reel I have got which I like is an Okuma baitrunner 5000 - good on a float rod.

From reading comments on here and other sites over time, Diawa & Shimano also seem to be the favourite to go for. I've got 2 3000's & a 4000 Shimano reel for the lure rod. They are only the cheaper versions, but have been very good.

Like Rods, Reels and Tackle in general, it a personal thing as to which folk prefer.
Thanks for that.

Thanks for that.
And to add another reason why having a fixed reel in the mix can be advantageous !! I've just strained my left thumb - it's really painful. I'll give it a few days, but right this minute I wouldn't be able to manipulate line back onto a right-handed trad' reel (or wind a left-hander for that matter)! Lol

I do now have a Penn Prevail III Beach as well as the longer & "heavier" Penn Prevail II Surf. While the Penn Surf & my (sale-price bargain) Akios Utopia CX8 reel are paired, what to pair the Penn Beach with ? Well, fingers crossed, I've gone for a pre-owned Abu G 6500 C3 CT Hi Speed. (Some say its braking is overkill, but that sounds good to me as a multiplier reel novice - !!! - and it can be fiddled with if I should be so minded in due course). I did, however, fondle a new AG 6500 in a store recently & wasn't enamoured with the finger-feel of the star drag: I'm obviously hoping my older sample, when it arrives, will feel smoother !? (Anyways, it is nice to have something that doesn't come with a Made-in-China sticker - not that I have anything against industrious Chinese peops who are producing some amazing quality stuff, but .... )

Last edited:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back