• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Penn Prevail III Beach Rod ?

Casker

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Subject Penn PIII rod more money than I was initially planning to spend on a modern beach rod, but I rather like the sound of Penn's advertising "blurb". In particular, while guides with all sorts of "ceramic" inserts have been the thing for ages, Penn says, as regards their Dura-guides ... "What sets them apart is their unique design, which eliminates the need for an inner ceramic."

Any owners of the Prevail III here ? and how do you rate ? (Knowing how you fish with yours would obviously be very useful info along-side your personal rating.) Thanks.

Last edited:
Subject Penn PIII rod more money than I was initially planning to spend on a modern beach rod, but I rather like the sound of Penn's advertising "blurb". In particular, while guides with all sorts of "ceramic" inserts have been the thing for ages, Penn says, as regards their Dura-guides ... "What sets them apart is their unique design, which eliminates the need for an inner ceramic."

Any owners of the Prevail III here ? and how do you rate ? (Knowing how you fish with yours would obviously be very useful info along-side your personal rating.) Thanks.
Went to a local shop: they had a Penn Prevail II Surf 14" 100-250g cast/wt with Dura-guides - not my 1st choice, but I bought it. Paired it up with a multi' Penn Rival 20LW for now: rod & reel not a perfect match actually, but casting distance should be quite decent me thinks ! For now, the combo will get me used to using a multiplier reel. (I'll be playing around with various alternative rod/reel combos in due course.)

Went to a local shop: they had a Penn Prevail II Surf 14" 100-250g cast/wt with Dura-guides - not my 1st choice, but I bought it. Paired it up with a multi' Penn Rival 20LW for now: rod & reel not a perfect match actually, but casting distance should be quite decent me thinks ! For now, the combo will get me used to using a multiplier reel. (I'll be playing around with various alternative rod/reel combos in due course.)
I don’t know about the rod but as a Penn I’m sure it’s fine, however I’d strongly advise you don’t start your multi journey with a level wind that’s essentially a boat reel.

It won’t give the best distance and I’d really advise if it’s still unused to take it back to the shop and exchange for a casting reel.
God knows what they were doing selling you a level wind reel for shore fishing.

I don’t know about the rod but as a Penn I’m sure it’s fine, however I’d strongly advise you don’t start your multi journey with a level wind that’s essentially a boat reel.

It won’t give the best distance and I’d really advise if it’s still unused to take it back to the shop and exchange for a casting reel.
God knows what they were doing selling you a level wind reel for shore fishing.

I had the same happen to me in West Bay many years ago. Went into a tackle shop looking at beach rods, and the guy said "for an extra £10, you can have a matching reel". Green as grass back then. Multiplier with level wind. Spooled some line on it, but still here in the cupboard unused.

@Mr Fish & @Trampster & @tdxs133pm - Thanks most kindly for the comments/advice regarding the Penn Rival reel. As I mentioned, I know it's not an ideal combo' and I will be changing it idc. The shop assistant did offer other reels first ! The reel was not expensive, it was right-handed (I am very r-handed - the left one is useless) and the level-wind meant (to my novice mind) one less thing to have to master from the outset. And, for future fishing set-ups, I do actually have an open-boat which I envisage using for inshore-fishing idc with some sort of rod/reel set-up (possibly inc' a Penn Rival 20LW !!). Anyway, I was in the mood to get some new gear and that's what I went with, but your comments regarding less-than-optimum reel choice for a surf rod is taken on board (no pun intended). I'll practice with my Penn mix and then seek out a more compatible reel when more confident with a multiplier. Again, thanks for the thoughts/advice !

Last edited:
I just can't get on with Multipliers for shore fishing. Everybody to their own.
Personally, I'd say Daiwa, Shimano or Penn fixed spool.
The Penn Rival will be ideal for your boat.

I'm not any sort of tackle tart like some on here so I'd go on Fleabay and and look for a 525 mag or a 6500 in good nick and be happy with something that works just fine and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'm not any sort of tackle tart like some on here so I'd go on Fleabay and and look for a 525 mag or a 6500 in good nick and be happy with something that works just fine and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
That's pretty much my philosophy too. Thanks @JLD

Last edited:
I just can't get on with Multipliers for shore fishing. Everybody to their own.
Personally, I'd say Daiwa, Shimano or Penn fixed spool.
The Penn Rival will be ideal for your boat.
@Trampster - I cannot really explain my (wobbly) aversion to fixed reels, especially as I have no considerable experience versus multipliers, BUT I am just inclined towards multipliers. I don't doubt though that I will be persuaded to acquire one or two modern "highly recommended" fixed reels along the way ! :)

Last edited:
@Trampster - I cannot really explain my (wobbly) aversion to fixed reels, especially as I have no considerable experience versus multipliers, BUT I am just inclined towards multipliers. I don't doubt though that I will be persuaded to acquire one or two modern "highly recommended" fixed reels along the way ! :)
As I said, everyone to their own!
I've used fixed spools since I was a Kid. Couldn't get on with the multiplier I mentioned in another thread that came with a beachcaster I bought, and I've got a lovely little Quantum Baitcasting reel - can't get on with that either, so have stuck with what I know.
Always on the look out for 2nd hand bargains too, and picked up a Penn Surfblaster for £30 a couple of years ago - love it!
Just so much easier to use, especially in the dark.

Trying to cast a multiplier which isn't meant for casting will be a nightmare. You will literally spend most of your time unpicking over runs. If you want to learn to cast a multiplier get one that is meant to be cast with

Trying to cast a multiplier which isn't meant for casting will be a nightmare. You will literally spend most of your time unpicking over runs. If you want to learn to cast a multiplier get one that is meant to be cast with
Noted - thanks @Valleyboy. I'm thinking my 1st intro' new reel probably not a good choice after all. I will go for a replacement and save the Penn Rival for future alternative rod/reel set-ups/scenarios.

Last edited:
Noted - thanks @Valleyboy. I'm thinking my 1st intro' reel probably not a good choice after all. I will go for a replacement and save the Penn Rival for future set-ups/scenarios
Best way. As for the duralite rings I have a lure rod wrung wit ATC Vortex which are similar. Not cracking inserts when you drop your rod is a big plus.

@Mr Fish & @Trampster & @tdxs133pm - Thanks most kindly for the comments/advice regarding the Penn Rival reel. As I mentioned, I know it's not an ideal combo' and I will be changing it idc. The shop assistant did offer other reels first ! The reel was not expensive, it was right-handed (I am very r-handed - the left one is useless) and the level-wind meant (to my novice mind) one less thing to have to master from the outset. And, for future fishing set-ups, I do actually have an open-boat which I envisage using for inshore-fishing idc with some sort of rod/reel set-up (possibly inc' a Penn Rival 20LW !!). Anyway, I was in the mood to get some new gear and that's what I went with, but your comments regarding less-than-optimum reel choice for a surf rod is taken on board (no pun intended). I'll practice with my Penn mix and then seek out a more compatible reel when more confident with a multiplier. Again, thanks for the thoughts/advice !
Glad you’ve had a rethink but most multis are right handed, ie you reel in, control the drag and spool release and cast with that hand.
While holding the rod with your left and using that to do the line lay, though I wouldn’t be too hung up on that side of it just yet - if you guide the line left and right across the spool with your thumb it’ll more or less go where you want anyway.

Another thought that occurs is a level wind boat reel won’t have any brakes and would have been pretty be to overruns unless you did the spool float up tight - which is incorrect and wouldn’t do the reel any favours.
Once that is set correctly the spool should have the tiniest bit of play that you can feel but not hear by wiggling the spool side to side.

Glad you’ve had a rethink but most multis are right handed, ie you reel in, control the drag and spool release and cast with that hand.
While holding the rod with your left and using that to do the line lay, though I wouldn’t be too hung up on that side of it just yet - if you guide the line left and right across the spool with your thumb it’ll more or less go where you want anyway.

Another thought that occurs is a level wind boat reel won’t have any brakes and would have been pretty be to overruns unless you did the spool float up tight - which is incorrect and wouldn’t do the reel any favours.
Once that is set correctly the spool should have the tiniest bit of play that you can feel but not hear by wiggling the spool side to side.spool tensioner
Re braking and spool tensioner: thanks - that was dawning on me (post-purchase). The shop assist' could/should have actually explained that difference to me. But, nemind; the Rival will find its place idc. Now on the look out for a different multiplier reel.

Re braking and spool tensioner: thanks - that was dawning on me (post-purchase). The shop assist' could/should have actually explained that difference to me. But, nemind; the Rival will find its place idc. Now on the look out for a different multiplier reel.
It’ll be fine for the light boat work you mentioned anyway

As I said, everyone to their own!
I've used fixed spools since I was a Kid. Couldn't get on with the multiplier I mentioned in another thread that came with a beachcaster I bought, and I've got a lovely little Quantum Baitcasting reel - can't get on with that either, so have stuck with what I know.
Always on the look out for 2nd hand bargains too, and picked up a Penn Surfblaster for £30 a couple of years ago - love it!
Just so much easier to use, especially in the dark.
So do you want to sell that little Quantum Baitcaster reel @Trampster !? ;) Also (trying to be open-minded re reels), apart from your Penn Surfblaster, may I ask whether there are any other go-to fixed reels you would highly recommend (should I come across them new or 2nd-hand) ?

Last edited:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back