• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Penn 525 Mag4

Someone down here posted a load of fishing gear on Gumtrre yesterday, including what looked like a mint pair of Slosh 20's.
He's asking £550 for the lot, or £100 for the reels - not sure if that's for the pair or just one.

I've got 5 Mk1 525s. Only 2 from brand new.
I use them for boat and beach.
Never had a problem really, clean and oil now and then. Replaced a few bearings over the last, probably, 20+ years or so.
The only thing that has gone wrong is the cage cracking at the magnet end. Superglued a couple back together without any problem.
Remember the Penn Sidewinder/525 Mag deal In Sea Angler mag? I got one and still have them both.

They are my main reels, I have an old Slosh20, another good reel, and a couple of grinders.
I am about to have a sort out and which cage are you after I reckon I have one.

Its an utter utter piece of wanky shite...... your now going to have to buy something decent as s spare for when if breaks on the beach.
We'll see, but if my 525 does prove to be a bad-un I'm already sorted @chesilpete: I will be deploying 2 rods routinely for the beach: 2x "beach/surf" rods with my Akios Utopia and either the 525 or my Abu Ambassadeur 6500 - latter for "cleaner" ground perhaps. Plus I will be packing one of Lidl's reel "specials" as an emergency backup to keep up the catch odds for any outing. I think I'm sorted thanks and I might even go for the two beach/surf rods while also throwing some lures with a lighter (say 1-3oz cw) lure rod. Hopefully I will be kept busy !!

Last edited:
We'll see, but if my 525 does prove to be a bad-un I'm already sorted @chesilpete: I will be deploying 2 rods routinely for the beach: 2x "beach/surf" rods with my Akios Utopia and either the 525 or my Abu Ambassadeur 6500 - latter for "cleaner" ground perhaps. Plus I will be packing one of Lidl's reel "specials" as an emergency backup to keep up the catch odds for any outing. I think I'm sorted thanks and I might even go for the two beach/surf rods while also throwing some lures with a lighter (say 1-3oz cw) lure rod. Hopefully I will be kept busy !!
I reckon it's 99% down to the presentation, you can use whatever gear you fancy.
In general though you will always split opinion here if you ask a question about budget tackle.
The fact is you can burn your way through many shit items in a shortish time.
It'd so cheap now to pick up what would have been a mid range quality rod like a decent daiwa the answer will always be buy a bit of quality rather than a bargain bit of shite.
Enjoy your fishing and catch the bug .... you will soon be looking for something quality.

I reckon it's 99% down to the presentation, you can use whatever gear you fancy.
In general though you will always split opinion here if you ask a question about budget tackle.
It'd so cheap now to pick up what would have been a mid range quality rod like a decent daiwa the answer will always be buy a bit of quality rather than a bargain bit of shite.
Enjoy your fishing and catch the bug .... you will soon be looking for something quality.
Yo. I also agree it rarely "pays" in the longer term to buy cheap. (Although I have to remark that the retail price for a new 525 Mag4 from a shop is not exactly cheap !!) Sometimes, though, buying cheap (especially 2nd-hand) can help identify what it is worth spending decent money on to suit oneself and, in this case, for any preferences for fishing hardware developed along with identifying good fishing spots, target fish and the most effective end-tackle. Thanks @chesilpete
[Regarding rods: the beach/surf rods are new graphite Penns, but I'm mucking about with older stuff on the lure side of things. Maybe I'll go for a new lure rod idc or maybe not. It's obviously more about where you are and whether you make the right choice for your end tackle than whether your rod/reel cost a small fortune.]

Last edited:
Someone down here posted a load of fishing gear on Gumtrre yesterday, including what looked like a mint pair of Slosh 20's.
He's asking £550 for the lot, or £100 for the reels - not sure if that's for the pair or just one.

I believe that ad' got an instant hit by somebody !!

= The ad was not findable via the link you offered @Trampster
Ah! Why didn't you say that! 😂😂😂
It was OK yesterday as I checked it.
The guy must have either sold it, or pulled the ad for whatever reason.

Ah! Why didn't you say that! 😂😂😂
It was OK yesterday as I checked it.
The guy must have either sold it, or pulled the ad for whatever reason.
What I meant seemed obvious to me - but ... ! Anyway, I couldn't find the ad'.

Buy cheap buy twice , buy quality and you get proper quality control proper longevity proper fell good proper knowledge that your product is going to last, and your not going to be ripped off
(y) - but I'm really not so sure about the "you're not going to be ripped off" part !!

Last edited:
If you try lure fishing and keeping a couple of baits in the water at the same time it just means you will end up not doing justice to either method

Will keep that in mind thanks @Valleyboy
It really can cause problems and lessen's effective fishing time. It can be tricky enough keeping baits fishing properly when using just using two rods. Double patting is a no brainer and you can be so busy you have no time for anything else

If you try lure fishing and keeping a couple of baits in the water at the same time it just means you will end up not doing justice to either method
Yep, sometimes in the summer I might have bottom rods out and spin for mackerel or float fish but I inevitably end up bringing one of the bait rods in as can never focus properly on both.

Or you get a cracking bite at the worst possible moment 🙄

It’s also amazing how a float cast well away from other rods can somehow sneak back when you’re not looking and tangle everything to feck 🙄

In any case, my club has a two rods, three hooks rule for comps and indeed any eligible fish you want to register for trophies, so anything I catch while using three rods wouldn’t count.
And no I wouldn’t cheat even though no one would ever know otherwise. I’d know.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back