• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Penn 525 Mag4

Casker

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I was offered one in great condition for £60 and I bought it. I'm expecting @blakdog is back to give me a hard time, but I've been struggling to find an affordable Fathom II.
BUT then, some say the Fathom II and Mag4 innards are not very much different, but the Fathom's advantage being an all-metal body.

I'm awaiting member reactions with interest !! ;):D

Last edited:
I was offered one in great condition for £60 and I bought it. I'm expecting @blakdog is back to give me a hard time, but I've been struggling to find an affordable Fathom II.
Now; some say the Fathom II and Mag4 innards are not very much different, but the Fathom's advantage being an all-metal body.

I'm awaiting member reactions with interest !! ;)
To be honest mate, they are not the best of multis, build quality is very poor. But you only paid £60, so cant complain really.

What Fathom II were you looking for, and how much are you looking to spend ?

Ian.

It was you who bought the Abu wasn't it ?

Ian.

I've got a pair of the original 525 mag's & utterly love them, I'd take them over my C3 mag elite any day.
Having been away from angling for a while I've no idea about the mag4 other than the colour,
which to me looks cheap & nasty, but "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as they say.

To be honest mate, they are not the best of multis, build quality is very poor. But you only paid £60, so cant complain really.

Ian.

Ian.
Yeah, I only paid £60 and it'll do just fine for now as part of my starter tackle mix !
So I'm not looking for a (the recommended) Fathom II any more right now: idc possibly, but not right now unless, of course, you are about to offer me the bargain-price of the century for any #Fathom II variant ! LOL.

Last edited:
BUT then, some say the Fathom II and Mag4 innards are not very much different, but the Fathom's advantage being an all-metal body.

On a positive note you have saved some other poor mug from buying it .... mind its a bit like taking a bullet for Trump :LOL:

I've got a pair of the original 525 mag's & utterly love them, I'd take them over my C3 mag elite any day.
Having been away from angling for a while I've no idea about the mag4 other than the colour,
which to me looks cheap & nasty, but "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as they say.
From what I can tell, you and many others @Angrybear rate (what I assume to be) the #1's highly. But then #2 and #3 525s seem to have a (n)reaction. Then the #4 seems to be loved or denigrated in equal part. Personal preferences and experiences: I've now got a #4 and who knows what I will think over time ?

Last edited:
I got offered a pair of them a few weeks ago, I asked for advice on this forum, and ended up saying no thanks.Before I said no thanks I asked my local tackle shop, & they advised me to say no which I did.

Last edited:

Use it.
Abuse it.
Bin it.
At £60, it's disposable.

Use it.
Abuse it.
Bin it.
At £60, it's disposable.
Well that was what I was sort-of thinking, but, then again, £60 is not exactly throw-away money so I am hoping it will last for a while without issues. (Any sort of 3rd party repair is not exactly cheap!) Some say Penn's Chinese-built quality is variable - some decent & some really duff. Fingers crossed then. At least I won't be worrying too much about trashing it in some way or other !

Last edited:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back