• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Looking for advice on rig making and first venue to fish.

Welshdai

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Ok looking for advice on making my first rigs, best type to make, best line, hooks, clips etc to use. When i get out fishing i will mainly be fishing in South Wales area, Porthcawl, Barry and Newport area. Types of fishing will be a mix of Pier, Beach and rocks. Also on the safety side of things as a newbie could you recommend some areas i could fish on my own. I was thinking of Porthcawl pier on the inside for my first trip. Looks to have easy access with a bit of room to learn casting and baiting up. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

We used to fish off Penarth pier, don't know if it's still allowed, if it is be respectful, use cutting boards to keep bait off the floor & do NOT make a mess on the seats.
Can you fish off the Cardiff barrage?
We once held a RAF match along longships road at Cardiff docks, IIRC the chap running it had to get special permission for us to drive all the way down so I'm not sure if it can still be accessed, but if it can it's fishable 2 hours either side of high along there.
Best check the rules on the piers first, lots don't allow anglers or only members of a local club because they're private property.
I've also fished Goldcliff at Newport a few times, parking by the seawall tearooms.

Last edited:
To add to the above, any local tackle shops are (or should be!) a great source of info. Please try and support the independent tackle dealers wherever possible👍Have you looked at clubs? Not everyone's cup of tea but they can be good ime. Also YouTube can be a good source of info.

We used to fish off Penarth pier, don't know if it's still allowed, if it is be respectful, use cutting boards to keep bait off the floor & do NOT make a mess on the seats.
Can you fish off the Cardiff barrage?
We once held a RAF match along longships road at Cardiff docks, IIRC the chap running it had to get special permission for us to drive all the way down so I'm not sure if it can still be accessed, but if it can it's fishable 2 hours either side of high along there.
Best check the rules on the piers first, lots don't allow anglers or only members of a local club because they're private property.
I've also fished Goldcliff at Newport a few times, parking by the seawall tearooms.
Thanks for the info much appreciated.

To add to the above, any local tackle shops are (or should be!) a great source of info. Please try and support the independent tackle dealers wherever possible👍Have you looked at clubs? Not everyone's cup of tea but they can be good ime. Also YouTube can be a good source of info.
Been looking at You Tube, I wont be getting out enough to join a club, due to family commitments. I will be lucky if i get out 2 times a month thanks for advice though.

The rigs I mainly use are pulley rigs,2 hook rigs are clip up or clip down, rig body's are 30lb mono with 18lb hook length,hook size depends on what bait & what im after,it varies from size two to 5/0.Hope .I also use coloured or floating beads on all my traces.Hope this helps.

Rig wise, with the Tidal flow I'd stick with pullies for most of the Bristol Channel marks, but Goldcliff is on the inside of the bend so has less tide & a muddy silty bottom, (don't try to wade across the mud at low it's a nightmare & the water comes up FAST) so it can be worth a 2/3 hook clip-down rig.

I can highly recommend TSF member Kevin 3110 for making you excellent rigs to order Dai

And @kevothefish.

Be wary of rigs & bits from WSB tackle. I bought 3 of their Cod rigs, the knots were only half tied, and they were falling to bits right out of the packet. Cheap & nasty crap.

Rig wise, with the Tidal flow I'd stick with pullies for most of the Bristol Channel marks, but Goldcliff is on the inside of the bend so has less tide & a muddy silty bottom, (don't try to wade across the mud at low it's a nightmare & the water comes up FAST) so it can be worth a 2/3 hook clip-down rig.
Goldcliff was always a better low water mark for me and don't try to wade the mud go around it and walk on the marl to the right. Tricky fishing though, you have to move sharpish even on medium tides. Same at Redwick next door. Best fished last of the ebb, first of the flood from out on the peat ledges

Try Cardiff Barrage, easy access venue, and get bait and information from Dave Richards in Newport or Garry Evans in Cardiff.

My mate had the same problem, cheap crap.
Agree. I'm now also a bit wary of tackle shops who choose to stock it.
If they're selling cheap & nasty rigs, what else is of similar quality.

Try Cardiff Barrage, easy access venue, and get bait and information from Dave Richards in Newport or Garry Evans in Cardiff.

Used to spend some time in there. Used to go in with the old man on Saturday Mornings and he'd give me some change to buy a can of pop.. Bought all my early rods, reels and end tackle from there after graduating from Woollies. Always good advice and good worm. The same service from his son when he took over

Last edited:
The rigs I mainly use are pulley rigs,2 hook rigs are clip up or clip down, rig body's are 30lb mono with 18lb hook length,hook size depends on what bait & what im after,it varies from size two to 5/0.Hope .I also use coloured or floating beads on all my traces.Hope this helps.
I take it your using light leads or not power casting Wolf? 30lb rig body is very light if not? I use 60lb as a minimum rig body with 5oz and above

I take it your using light leads or not power casting Wolf? 30lb rig body is very light if not? I use 60lb as a minimum rig body with 5oz and above

I never use above 4oz leads, but always use the same 60 or 70Lb mono for shock leaders & rig bodies.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back