• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lantern for night fishing

SteveKent

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi Guys,

I do love the old night fishing, I find it more peaceful, and always seem to get better results.

My grandfather used to use an old paraffin Tilley lamp (I'm sure that's what he called it!) back in the day.
Would love to go back out at night but dont have a lantern so need to order one.

Anyone recommend a decent lantern?
Doesnt have to be a paraffin one, even a modern LED battery powered one would be OK.

What would you recommend?

Have a look on Toolstation Steve - they do some good LED worklights.
Not found a need for a lantern - I just use a good headtorch/lamp.
Lots of them available that folks will recommend, but I use an Olight, similar to the Perun 2, but a slightly older model.

Just realised they do lanterns too. this one is currently half price.

I still use a lantern (petromax) for winter codding, not that cod exist these days 😭
A decent led head lamp will be fine, take a look at the fenix range. Quality gear that will last.

I'm a headlight fan over the lanterns nowadays.
I started sea fishing and took a tilley plus a head torch for the first few years then realised the tilley was more stuff to carry and it only ever got used to heat pipes or big stones for hand warmers.
So now I just take a decent head torch and a back up one too, they weigh alot less than a tilley.
I say all that, but I don't really fish the height of winter when the beaches are frozen so I can get away without the tilley.
If it was below 0° I'd certainly consider taking a tilley and using it for pies/stones.

If I was after a base camp light, I'd be asking wether I just want it for the light or the heat too.
If it's just light, as trampster says, led all the way.
If it's for heat too, I like my old tilley but that's because I got brought up with them, I know how they work and can repair them.

I use a petzl head torch that's about 10 years old, 3 aaa batteries lasts about 10 hours I guess on setting 1 or 2, only pits out about 160 lumens, but that's plenty for me.
The fenix ones seem good and never hear a bad work about them.
I'd definitely avoid anything cheap and unbranded though, I've had a couple of cheap Chinese bike lights, both ended up with either the battery going bang or the light giving up, not a situation I'd like to be in on a beach at 2 am...

I usually have a headtorch for navigating around, watching for knocks and reeling in and unhooking etc.

I used to hang the lantern off the bottom of the tripod and then put the bait, elastic, needles etc underneath to give a well lit baiting area.

Will look into the LED ones.

Heat isnt really an issue, I am a big lad and have the right clothing so dont tend to feel the cold.

I’m happy with just a head light but as @Trampster said, plenty of LED base lamps on the market.
The technology is very good these days and I shouldn’t think you’d need to spend a fortune on one.
No idea what is available but I’d imagine most camping lanterns would be fine.

I just use a fenix head torch.
Which model do you use / have?

There are some expensive ones there and dont need something overkill but similarly dont want to cheap out and it struggle lol.

I gave up on base lights years ago and just use a Petzl headlamps, it lights up what I'm looking at.
Red light option is good so your night vision doesn't get knocked out.

I gave up on base lights years ago and just use a Petzl headlamps, it lights up what I'm looking at.
Red light option is good so your night vision doesn't get knocked out.
Tbh I’m also of the ‘if I’m not looking at it, it doesn’t need light’ school of thought.
I fish with a very low level of light unless landing a fish of moving over awkward terrain anyway.

You guys have not fished a cold febuary nite down dungy then where the worms are freezing and ice hanging down from your tip eye and the shingle frozen together inside ur biddy

I use a Fenix headlight for all my fishing, if it’s really cold or I plan a long winter night session I put a Tilly lamp in the back of my brolly set up and have amazing heat to boot! Heats up pies along with light for baiting up the 2nd rigs!

You guys have not fished a cold febuary nite down dungy then where the worms are freezing and ice hanging down from your tip eye and the shingle frozen together inside ur biddy
I use a Fenix headlight for all my fishing, if it’s really cold or I plan a long winter night session I put a Tilly lamp in the back of my brolly set up and have amazing heat to boot! Heats up pies along with light for baiting up the 2nd rigs!
I’ve never owned a bivvy, don’t really fish where one can be used except Chesil occasionally, so it’s just either add more layers or stay at home, lol.

We don’t have marks where you can camp out for hours

I’ve never owned a bivvy, don’t really fish where one can be used except Chesil occasionally, so it’s just either add more layers or stay at home, lol.

We don’t have marks where you can camp out for hours
The winter beaches I fish aren’t really low tide venues so set up on HW bank as fish 3hrs before and 2hrs after HW and at worst will be 30-40yds from tide line

Tbh I’m also of the ‘if I’m not looking at it, it doesn’t need light’ school of thought.
I fish with a very low level of light unless landing a fish of moving over awkward terrain anyway.
Your lights must be permanently off then Mr Fish... 🤣

I use Fenix Shadowmasters, excellent head lamps..(y)

Ian.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back