• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

I bought a 2nd-hand carp rod today !

Casker

TSF Supporter
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Actually seller Steven had never used so I actually bought a new 13' Daiwa Vertice 3.5lb Carp rod for £20 (to note, w stainless-steel guides)

OK, purist saltwater fishers here may well question my judgement, but seemingly (judging by my internet travels) there is a cohort of salt-water fishers who (like me) are not averse to re-purposing carp rods. It might actually be my fastest rod & I might even try it out with a multiplier!

Bought from Steven Cowl (in Tresillian, Cornwall) via Facebook Marketplace. Steven (who once worked in a tackle shop) has a whole load of stuff he's decided to part with - so I'm posting mentioning Steven (with Steven's agreement) to alert any Cornish TSF members looking for local 2nd-hand stuff.

Last edited:
I thought you would have also realised by now that a lot of us regard Facemuck as something worse than a Shite sandwich! 😂😂

Yes you do know without trying it. Just stop and think about it
I hear you @Valleyboy, but, for £20, I couldn't resist & gonna give it a try. I've worked out (leaving aside reel type) that it will have a CW range of some 2.7-4.5oz (which is a good spot for me) and a potentially long-cast distance. Judging by internet trawls, I'm not the 1st person to consider re-purposing a fast heavy carp rod for saltwater !

I hear you @Valleyboy, but, for £20, I couldn't resist & gonna give it a try. I've worked out (leaving aside reel type) that it will have a CW range of some 2.7-4.5oz (which is a good spot for me) and a potentially long-cast distance. Judging by internet trawls, I'm not the 1st person to re-purpose a fast heavy carb rod for saltwater
Yep it is a decent buy for flatties or light beach work although bite detection is not brilliant as it is not required for carp fishing. It's good enough though. Just not with a multi unless you have it re-rung

I have a 2.75 carp rod & use with a coffee grinder as well as 15lb sensor mono. Not impressed with the so called fishing rod though.

I bought a 12ft 3 piece carp rod a few years ago.

Reason being i set it all up before putting in car with trace on, break it down to 4ft sections that will just lay on parcel shelf, all you have to do when at beach is put together, walk to mark, put weight and bait on and away to go.
Saves all the setting up on beach when you there.
Ok for just casting short distances, for the likes of flatties, dogs, bass.

I bought a 12ft 3 piece carp rod a few years ago.

Reason being i set it all up before putting in car with trace on, break it down to 4ft sections that will just lay on parcel shelf, all you have to do when at beach is put together, walk to mark, put weight and bait on and away to go.
Saves all the setting up on beach when you there.
Ok for just casting short distances, for the likes of flatties, dogs, bass.
I've just brought it home so not even tested with grass-field casting yet, BUT some say a fast/heavy, fully loaded 13' carpy can potentially cast, in the right hands, some 150m or so! (Whether I might have the "right hands" is another matter - Lol.)

It will be fine, just don't waste time using a multi on it.
Stick with a mangle.
Have fun 👍

Yep it is a decent buy for flatties or light beach work although bite detection is not brilliant as it is not required for carp fishing. It's good enough though. Just not with a multi unless you have it re-rung
Apparently this Vertice had changeable quiver-tip options, but seller didn't have other tips to go with it. I've tried to disengage its existing tip, but it's stuck right now. Existing tip section seems quite "twitchy" though and I'm not too concerned to fuss about with: compatible alternative tips possibly no longer available anyway.

Last edited:
A 13' 3 1/2lb TC carp rod with interchangeable quiver tips. Never heard of one of those before. Daiwa do make feeder rods of that type.
Just the job for light beach work with a fixed spool but I would leave the multiplier at home. Your rod, your call.

I thought you would have also realised by now that a lot of us regard Facemuck as something worse than a Shite sandwich! 😂😂
It's just another forum, you can choose to engage or not depending on the content. It's very useful for gaining local knowledge or seeking information on many things. Their selling page , Marketplace, is excellent.

A 13' 3 1/2lb TC carp rod with interchangeable quiver tips. Never heard of one of those before. Daiwa do make feeder rods of that type.
Just the job for light beach work with a fixed spool but I would leave the multiplier at home. Your rod, your call.
Never seen or heard of one either, there's no point in one. If it does have push in quivers it is some bodies bastard or a feeder rod

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back