• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Half price Lidl telescopic rod rests

Casker

TSF Supporter
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
My Lidl has the subject tripod rod rests on sale @ £7.49 and they were a bit of a bargain at full price me thinks. (For those who like butt cups, to note they don't have cups.)

Last edited:
My Lidl has the subject tripod rod rests on sale @ £7.49 and they were a bit of a bargain at full price me thinks. (For those who like butt cups, to note they don't have cups.)

I would say avoid. Normally Lidl stuff is quite good if you are selective, but I bought a similar tripod some years ago, and the legs don't lock into place when you twist them to do so, so it collapses. Still unused in the cupbaord and will stay there.

I would say avoid. Normally Lidl stuff is quite good if you are selective, but I bought a similar tripod some years ago, and the legs don't lock into place when you twist them to do so, so it collapses. Still unused in the cupbaord and will stay there.
Their newer/updated tele' rod rests have click-lock leg adjustments (rather than twist-locks). I've not had a problem with the click-locks so far.
(They do not have adjustable-pressure click-locks - like, say, my trekking sticks - but I expect the locks will last a good few years if kept reasonably clean.)

Why not just get rid of it?

To repeat: for those on a tight budget and those wishing to simply avoid over-priced gear, Lidl is offering 1/2 price tripod rod rests @ £7.49 right now (in my local Lidl store at least). They work like all other tripod rod rests & very securely actually & without the need to fork-out (pun intended) stupid money, albeit without the butt cup option provided on just a few very much-pricier offerings !
By all means go pay much more if you are afraid the Lidl/Rockfield branding might produce derisory comments down at your fishing club - OR just go with this common-sense £7.49 (!!) offering if you are presently looking for a good telescopic tripod rod-rest.

Last edited:
Why not just get rid of it?
It's not taking up much space in the cupboard and it's so crap I wouldn't have the nerve to offload it to someone else.

To repeat: for those on a tight budget and those wishing to simply avoid over-priced gear, Lidl is offering 1/2 price tripod rod rests @ £7.49 right now (in my local Lidl store at least). They work like all other tripod rod rests & very securely actually & without the need to fork-out (pun intended) stupid money, albeit without the butt cup option provided on just a few very much-pricier offerings !
By all means go pay much more if you are afraid the Lidl/Rockfield branding might produce derisory comments down at your fishing club - OR just go with this common-sense £7.49 (!!) offering if you are presently looking for a good telescopic tripod rod-rest.
I've got a Shakespeare Salt tripod which is good with my 15ft Conti rods - what's the max height of the Lidl one?

Just looked for it out of curiosity - it's not on the website, nor the weekly magazines, nor in my Lidl emails.

Last edited:
Take it to the beach and enjoy your bargain right up to the minute it collapses.

I've got a Shakespeare Salt tripod which is good with my 15ft Conti rods - what's the max height of the Lidl one?

Just looked for it out of curiosity - it's not on the website, nor the weekly magazines, nor in my Lidl emails.
4' 4" (132 cm) to bottom of the forks.

(The leg bracing on the S-Salt is a nice feature !)

I had one from Lidl a few years ago. Okay for a lake or reservoir perhaps but not much use on the beach. Gave it away in the end.
@JLD a little extra explanation (re beach use) might help others decide whether the pocket-money Lidl rod-rest is for them or not. Like all tripod rests, the narrow "feet" do sink down a bit, but otherwise ... ??

Take it to the beach and enjoy your bargain right up to the minute it collapses.
I've put 1st use date in my diary. I will report if and when it collapses ! :) (And it has a 3 year warranty :))

Last edited:

4' 4" wouldn't be a lot of good supporting a long beach rod.

I’ve never had a tripod with bracing, I’ve always used Ian Golds tripods too.
At HW (when on HW bank) if weather and sea conditions permit I like to get the rods almost horizontal so I’m not straining my neck!

I’ve never had a tripod with bracing, I’ve always used Ian Golds tripods too.
At HW (when on HW bank) if weather and sea conditions permit I like to get the rods almost horizontal so I’m not straining my neck!
@Mushty - I've come across advisories re low rod tip or horizontal rod, but I don't fully get it.
I have read TSF Article "Improving bite detection", which is a very comprehensive article, but, even so, this thicko still doesn't entirely get it (i.e. rod orientation/angle in a rod-rest). I'll re-read the Article, but any additional advice from your own experience please ?

Last edited:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back